    synchronized with the disk I/O. But once minimized and restored just
    one time only, the mouse never jerks again.

    What could be causing this, I wonder?
    FutureScalper, Nov 5, 2008

  2. In article
    <>,
    FutureScalper <> wrote:

    > Windows Vista system. I run a standalone Swing application which I
    > wrote myself, currently under Java 1.6.0_05 Server VM. When I start
    > the application, and then drag the mouse smoothly across the main
    > screen, the mouse "jerks".

    You could try a client VM, or see if your code is monopolizing the
    even-dispatching thread.

    > If I minimize and then restore it, the mouse never again jerks.
    >
    > If I start another copy of my Swing app, again the mouse jerks. If I
    > minimize and restore, again, the mouse never jerks again.

    Possibly, the window manipulations kill whatever thread is making the
    mouse track erratically. You might look for exceptions that have been
    caught but not recorded.

    > The application is heavily multi-threaded and is doing disk I/O
    > frequently. I get the impression the mouse jerks are sort of
    > synchronized with the disk I/O. But once minimized and restored just
    > one time only, the mouse never jerks again.
    >
    > What could be causing this, I wonder?

    A program that "is heavily multi-threaded and is doing disk I/O
    frequently" is a good candidate.

    --
    John B. Matthews
    trashgod at gmail dot com
    John B. Matthews, Nov 5, 2008

  3. None of my threads die by virtue of minimizing and maximizing.

    But the jerky mouse stops and becomes smooth. It's a puzzler.

    FutureScalper, Nov 9, 2008