JET on a webhotel

Mats

Hi
In ASPFAQ I've found an article (2195) about the shortcomings of Access.
Who can disagree with the expert but maybee I'm a little more
optimistic. Evereyone visiting your page does not use the database at
the same time. But what suddenly struck me was that for this to work out
there has to be a separate instance of JET for each separate homepage.
Can anyone clarify this for me?
Mats

Bob Barrows

Mats said:
Hi
In ASPFAQ I've found an article (2195) about the shortcomings of
Access. Who can disagree with the expert but maybee I'm a little more
optimistic. Evereyone visiting your page does not use the database at
the same time. But what suddenly struck me was that for this to work

What do you mean by "this"?
out there has to be a separate instance of JET for each separate
homepage. Can anyone clarify this for me?
Mats

Each user of a Jet database must load a copy of the Jet engine into memory.
Is that what you are talking about?

Bob Barrows

Mats

Hi
Sorry for being unclear, I think that for once the fact that english is
not my mothertongue has affected me.
What I wonder is, does all users of JET e.g. different sites on a
webhotel (even if they of course use different databases) "share the
same capacity". That is does JET begin to buckle for ten users on they
entire "setup" or for ten users per site? (If ten is the limit) Is there
any or no influence of the capacity depending on the number of sites
using JET on a particular server. (Apart from the capacity of the
server)
Hope I made myself clear
Mats

Tom Kaminski [MVP]

Mats said:
Hi
Sorry for being unclear, I think that for once the fact that english is
not my mothertongue has affected me.
What I wonder is, does all users of JET e.g. different sites on a
webhotel (even if they of course use different databases) "share the
same capacity". That is does JET begin to buckle for ten users on they
entire "setup" or for ten users per site? (If ten is the limit) Is there
any or no influence of the capacity depending on the number of sites
using JET on a particular server. (Apart from the capacity of the
server)

The limits are per each mdb file.

Phillip Windell

Mats,

How you design the site can make a difference, it isn't that simple to
determine.

Our site is one of our ISP's heaviest hit sites and it runs on two
Access MDB files. We get away with it because much of the data
gathered from the database is cached in Application Variables and is
refreshed on an interval. The users actually feed off of the data
stored in those Variables while the MDB only gets "hit" according to
the time interval that is set. So the MBD carries roughly the same
load whether there is one user or 500 users on the site at one time.
Of course this won't work in every situation and that is up to the
designer to decide, but it works great for us.

You also have to keep in mind with "stateless" http that a user
connection may only last a couple seconds and if there are 10 users
browsing the site the server won't consider them to be on "at the same
time" unless all 10 click on a link at roughly the same moment. So the
server may one "see" one user at a time even if there might be 20
people browsing the site at the time. The server is not aware of
people that are just sitting there reading the site content until they
click on something again.

--

Phillip Windell [CCNA, MVP, MCP]
(e-mail address removed)