    there has to be a separate instance of JET for each separate homepage.
    Can anyone clarify this for me?
    Mats

    Mats, Oct 6, 2003

  2. Mats

    Bob Barrows Guest

    Mats wrote:
    > Hi
    > In ASPFAQ I've found an article (2195) about the shortcomings of
    > Access. Who can disagree with the expert but maybee I'm a little more
    > optimistic. Evereyone visiting your page does not use the database at
    > the same time. But what suddenly struck me was that for this to work

    What do you mean by "this"?

    > out there has to be a separate instance of JET for each separate
    > homepage. Can anyone clarify this for me?
    > Mats

    Each user of a Jet database must load a copy of the Jet engine into memory.
    Is that what you are talking about?

    Bob Barrows
    Bob Barrows, Oct 6, 2003

  3. Mats

    Mats Guest

    Hi
    Sorry for being unclear, I think that for once the fact that english is
    not my mothertongue has affected me.
    What I wonder is, does all users of JET e.g. different sites on a
    webhotel (even if they of course use different databases) "share the
    same capacity". That is does JET begin to buckle for ten users on they
    entire "setup" or for ten users per site? (If ten is the limit) Is there
    any or no influence of the capacity depending on the number of sites
    using JET on a particular server. (Apart from the capacity of the
    server)
    Hope I made myself clear
    Mats

    Mats, Oct 6, 2003
  4. "Mats" <> wrote in message

    > Hi
    > Sorry for being unclear, I think that for once the fact that english is
    > not my mothertongue has affected me.
    > What I wonder is, does all users of JET e.g. different sites on a
    > webhotel (even if they of course use different databases) "share the
    > same capacity". That is does JET begin to buckle for ten users on they
    > entire "setup" or for ten users per site? (If ten is the limit) Is there
    > any or no influence of the capacity depending on the number of sites
    > using JET on a particular server. (Apart from the capacity of the
    > server)

    The limits are per each mdb file.

    --
    Tom Kaminski IIS MVP
    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    Tom Kaminski [MVP], Oct 6, 2003
  5. Mats,

    How you design the site can make a difference, it isn't that simple to
    determine.

    Our site is one of our ISP's heaviest hit sites and it runs on two
    Access MDB files. We get away with it because much of the data
    gathered from the database is cached in Application Variables and is
    refreshed on an interval. The users actually feed off of the data
    stored in those Variables while the MDB only gets "hit" according to
    the time interval that is set. So the MBD carries roughly the same
    load whether there is one user or 500 users on the site at one time.
    Of course this won't work in every situation and that is up to the
    designer to decide, but it works great for us.

    You also have to keep in mind with "stateless" http that a user
    connection may only last a couple seconds and if there are 10 users
    browsing the site the server won't consider them to be on "at the same
    time" unless all 10 click on a link at roughly the same moment. So the
    server may one "see" one user at a time even if there might be 20
    people browsing the site at the time. The server is not aware of
    people that are just sitting there reading the site content until they
    click on something again.

    --

    Phillip Windell [CCNA, MVP, MCP]

    WAND-TV (ABC Affiliate)