Jetty vs Tomcat benchmark ?!!

Razvan

Hi !

Are there any recent benchmarks on this issue ? (Tomcat vs
Jetty) After reading some posts I feel that both platforms are quite
stable so it remains a matter of performance and community support
when choosing one platform over the other.

Regards,
Razvan

Will Hartung

Razvan said:
Hi !

Are there any recent benchmarks on this issue ? (Tomcat vs
Jetty) After reading some posts I feel that both platforms are quite
stable so it remains a matter of performance and community support
when choosing one platform over the other.

Regards,
Razvan

At this point it's a matter of some warm fuzzy feeling that you get from one
over the other, as both, as well as a VAST majority of the servlet engines
available today, are so close to each other in performance that the edge
cases aren't even worth worrying about.

While one may well "benchmark better", the difference isn't even worth
planning for, much less choosing one over the other.

When folks complain about performance, they don't notice 5-10% differences
in performance, and any performance problem you are likely to encounter
isn't going to be solved by changing servlet engines, but rather by changing
hardware (bigger box or more of them). And a bad application or DB design
will kill any container on the market.

So pick whichever one you like, or if you feel it is that important, then it
must be worth the time to write your app and benchmark against the
containers you anticipate deployment on, with your anticipated loads, on
your deployment hardware. I mean, you were planning on doing that anyway,
and not rely on what some lab contrived in order make a bunch of pretty
charts, right?

Regards,

Will Hartung
([email protected])