    when choosing one platform over the other.

    Regards,
    Razvan

    Razvan, Aug 19, 2004

  2. Razvan

    Will Hartung Guest

    "Razvan" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi !
    >
    > Are there any recent benchmarks on this issue ? (Tomcat vs
    > Jetty) After reading some posts I feel that both platforms are quite
    > stable so it remains a matter of performance and community support
    > when choosing one platform over the other.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Razvan

    At this point it's a matter of some warm fuzzy feeling that you get from one
    over the other, as both, as well as a VAST majority of the servlet engines
    available today, are so close to each other in performance that the edge
    cases aren't even worth worrying about.

    While one may well "benchmark better", the difference isn't even worth
    planning for, much less choosing one over the other.

    When folks complain about performance, they don't notice 5-10% differences
    in performance, and any performance problem you are likely to encounter
    isn't going to be solved by changing servlet engines, but rather by changing
    hardware (bigger box or more of them). And a bad application or DB design
    will kill any container on the market.

    So pick whichever one you like, or if you feel it is that important, then it
    must be worth the time to write your app and benchmark against the
    containers you anticipate deployment on, with your anticipated loads, on
    your deployment hardware. I mean, you were planning on doing that anyway,
    and not rely on what some lab contrived in order make a bunch of pretty
    charts, right?

    Regards,

    Will Hartung
    ()