jGRASP Installation on Windows

hbloemhard

I'm new to the world of programming, and am trying to download jGRASP
on a Windows machine. It seems foolproof, but when I try to compile a
JAVA program, I get the following error:
jGRASP wedge2 error: command "javac" not found.
---- This command must be in the current working directory
---- or on the current PATH to use this function.
---- PATH is ";C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:
\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control
Panel;C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTSystem\;C:\Sun\SDK\bin;C:\Program
Files\SSH Communications Security\SSH Secure Shell".
----
---- Make sure you have the full JDK (J2SE SDK or other), not just
the JRE, installed.
---- The J2SE SDK is available from java.sun.com.
----jGRASP: operation complete.

I'm not sure what it means by "javac must be in the current working
directory or on the current PATH." I checked my PATH and it matches
what they say it should be. And I have the full JDK.
Any help anyone can give would be appreciated.
Thanks, Heather

IchBin

[...]

Heather, JGRASP is showing you the path in the error message
"---- PATH is ". Not sure what JDK you installed but from that path I
do not see the normal JDK path subdirectories.

Say you installed JDK 1.6. On my windows system I have it installed here:

"C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0"

You can update your path by select in the dropdown menu options:
Start\Control Panel\System\Advance tab\Environment Variables\

The add "C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0\bin" to the path.
You can look at the JDK install information they should tell you how to
do this also. You can find that info here:

http://java.sun.com/javase/6/webnotes/install/jdk/install-windows.html

--
Thanks in Advance... http://weconsultants.prophp.org
IchBin, Pocono Lake, Pa, USA http://ichbinquotations.awardspace.com

Larry Barowski

[...]

By default jGRASP will locate the newest JDK (Java
version 1.3 or higher from Sun or IBM) in the Windows
registry and add that to the path used when compiling.
Since that is not there, a fairly new JDK is probably not
installed. Maybe you have an older one? You can use
an older JDK to compile and run programs from jGRASP,
but the integrated debugger will not be available.

Other possibilities are that the JDK installation was not
complete, or the registry is mucked up (happens quite
often). So if you have installed the JDK for Java 1.3 or
higher, try reinstalling, or just install the latest ("JDK 6",
which is the JDK for Java 1.6).