Jikes

Roedy Green

Just downloaded the new 1.20 Jikes. It has new warnings mainly about
using local variables with same names as instance variable, one of my
most common place I create bugs.

see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/jikes.html

I have not read yet see just what level of Java it can compile.

Mohun Biswas

Roedy said:
Just downloaded the new 1.20 Jikes. It has new warnings mainly about
using local variables with same names as instance variable, one of my
most common place I create bugs.

see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/jikes.html

I have not read yet see just what level of Java it can compile.

Roedy,

Thanks for pointing out the new version of Jikes. But the page you point
to above has an egregiously obnoxious comment:
Jikes was written my Unix lovers who have contempt for Windows users and so sendsits command line help to STDERR instead of STDOUT to make it hard to capture before it scrolls offscreen. For ways to tame this rude behaviour ...

There's nothing contemptuous about this. The following command works
just as well on Windows as on Unix:

jikes -help 2>&1 | more

and doesn't need any fancy console-capturing tools. It's all in the manual.

Roedy Green

There's nothing contemptuous about this. The following command works
just as well on Windows as on Unix:

jikes -help 2>&1 | more

not unless you have 4DOS or 4NT. There is no such command on Win98.

Tim Tyler

Roedy Green said:
not unless you have 4DOS or 4NT. There is no such command on Win98.

That's not IBM's fault.

That's Microsoft's fault.

I believe they eventually fixed the problem.

Charles Dye

Roedy Green said:
not unless you have 4DOS or 4NT. There is no such command on Win98.

4NT, Take Command or Win95Cmd. 4DOS has the same ability, but
the exact syntax differs.