    I have not read yet see just what level of Java it can compile.

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    Roedy Green, May 11, 2004

  2. Roedy Green

    Mohun Biswas Guest

    Roedy Green wrote:
    > Just downloaded the new 1.20 Jikes. It has new warnings mainly about
    > using local variables with same names as instance variable, one of my
    > most common place I create bugs.
    >
    > see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/jikes.html
    >
    > I have not read yet see just what level of Java it can compile.

    Roedy,

    Thanks for pointing out the new version of Jikes. But the page you point
    to above has an egregiously obnoxious comment:

    > Jikes was written my Unix lovers who have contempt for Windows users and so sendsits command line help to STDERR instead of STDOUT to make it hard to capture before it scrolls offscreen. For ways to tame this rude behaviour ...

    There's nothing contemptuous about this. The following command works
    just as well on Windows as on Unix:

    jikes -help 2>&1 | more

    and doesn't need any fancy console-capturing tools. It's all in the manual.

    --
    Thanks,
    M.Biswas

    Mohun Biswas, May 11, 2004

  3. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Tue, 11 May 2004 02:18:11 GMT, Mohun Biswas <>
    wrote or quoted :

    >There's nothing contemptuous about this. The following command works
    >just as well on Windows as on Unix:
    >
    > jikes -help 2>&1 | more

    not unless you have 4DOS or 4NT. There is no such command on Win98.

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    Roedy Green, May 11, 2004
  4. Roedy Green

    Mohun Biswas Guest

    Roedy Green wrote:

    > On Tue, 11 May 2004 02:18:11 GMT, Mohun Biswas <>
    > wrote or quoted :
    >

    >>There's nothing contemptuous about this. The following command works
    >>just as well on Windows as on Unix:
    >>
    >> jikes -help 2>&1 | more

    > not unless you have 4DOS or 4NT.

    Or Windows NT/2000/XP/etc.

    --
    Thanks,
    M.Biswas

    Mohun Biswas, May 11, 2004
  5. Roedy Green

    Tim Tyler Guest

    Roedy Green <> wrote or quoted:
    > On Tue, 11 May 2004 02:18:11 GMT, Mohun Biswas <> wrote or quoted :

    > >There's nothing contemptuous about this. The following command works
    > >just as well on Windows as on Unix:
    > >
    > > jikes -help 2>&1 | more

    > not unless you have 4DOS or 4NT. There is no such command on Win98.

    That's not IBM's fault.

    That's Microsoft's fault.

    I believe they eventually fixed the problem.
    --
    __________

    Tim Tyler, May 12, 2004
  6. Roedy Green

    Charles Dye Guest

    Roedy Green <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > On Tue, 11 May 2004 02:18:11 GMT, Mohun Biswas <>
    > wrote or quoted :
    >
    > >There's nothing contemptuous about this. The following command works
    > >just as well on Windows as on Unix:
    > >
    > > jikes -help 2>&1 | more

    > not unless you have 4DOS or 4NT. There is no such command on Win98.

    4NT, Take Command or Win95Cmd. 4DOS has the same ability, but
    the exact syntax differs.

    --
    Charles Dye

    Charles Dye, May 13, 2004