    any reason I should or should not balk at a project that uses it?

    Thanks,
    John

    john gresh, Dec 14, 2010

  2. john gresh

    markspace Guest

    On 12/14/2010 10:50 AM, john gresh wrote:
    > What is the current conventional wisdom on the use of JINI? Is there
    > any reason I should or should not balk at a project that uses it?

    I certainly don't think you should balk at a project that uses it.
    There are reasons to use it and reasons to not use it.

    Generally it depends on analysis of business requirements. But in
    general: if you're already using it, use it. If you have a large
    website that you want more control over, use it. If you have technical
    people capable of understanding it and maintaining it, use it.

    If you are just starting out, have a small website, have limited
    potential for rapid growth and have no full time technical staff, then
    I'd consider eschewing it.

    markspace, Dec 14, 2010

  3. john gresh

    markspace Guest

    On 12/14/2010 2:21 PM, Steve Sobol wrote:

    > Bah, you wrote JINI, but I read JNI :D

    Yeah I actually read the OP as "JNDI". It looks like JINI is something
    totally different. I don't know anything about it, I guess I'd be a
    little suspicious just because I haven't heard of it before. It doesn't
    seem to be truly mainstream.

    markspace, Dec 14, 2010
  4. john gresh

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    On 14-12-2010 17:36, markspace wrote:
    > On 12/14/2010 2:21 PM, Steve Sobol wrote:
    >> Bah, you wrote JINI, but I read JNI :D

    > Yeah I actually read the OP as "JNDI". It looks like JINI is something
    > totally different. I don't know anything about it, I guess I'd be a
    > little suspicious just because I haven't heard of it before. It doesn't
    > seem to be truly mainstream.

    It was pretty hot about 8 years ago.

    It died out I think.

    Apache got it now.

    Back then someone saw it as having potential to become
    a distributed alternative to Java EE.

    Arne

    Arne Vajhøj, Dec 14, 2010
  5. john gresh

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    On 14-12-2010 13:50, john gresh wrote:
    > What is the current conventional wisdom on the use of JINI? Is there
    > any reason I should or should not balk at a project that uses it?

    It is not widely used.

    SUN gave it to Apache.

    I think activity is very low.

    Not particular attractive to base ones code on.

    But I am not aware of a good replacement, so you may
    be stuck with it.

    Arne

    Arne Vajhøj, Dec 14, 2010
  6. john gresh

    Lew Guest

    Arne Vajhøj wrote:
    > It was pretty hot about 8 years ago.
    >
    > It died out I think.
    >
    > Apache got it now.
    >
    > Back then someone saw it as having potential to become
    > a distributed alternative to Java EE.

    That's one way to look at it. There are some niches where JINI is still
    active. It's a totally cool idea that never really took off, but should've.
    Maybe because people saw "NCIS" and thought it said "CSI" and didn't look
    further. (s/NCIS/JINI/, s/CSI/JNI/)

    --
    Lew
    Ceci n'est pas une pipe.

    Lew, Dec 15, 2010
  7. john gresh

    Tom Anderson Guest

    On Tue, 14 Dec 2010, markspace wrote:

    > On 12/14/2010 2:21 PM, Steve Sobol wrote:
    >
    >> Bah, you wrote JINI, but I read JNI :D

    > Yeah I actually read the OP as "JNDI".

    I did read both of your posts and wonder if i knew even less about Jini
    than i knew i knew.

    > It looks like JINI is something totally different. I don't know
    > anything about it, I guess I'd be a little suspicious just because I
    > haven't heard of it before. It doesn't seem to be truly mainstream.

    It was a research project that came out of Sun labs a long, long time ago.
    It seemed very well done, but it seemed to be a solution in search of a
    problem. It occupies a space somewhere in between mDNS, Jabber, Hadoop and
    maybe some other things. I'd be interested to know of a problem to which
    it was the best solution; interested, and perhaps a little surprised.

    tom

    --
    Three o'clock is always too late or too early for anything you want to do.

    Tom Anderson, Dec 15, 2010
  8. john gresh

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    On 15-12-2010 00:48, Patricia Shanahan wrote:
    > Arne Vajhøj wrote:
    >> On 14-12-2010 13:50, john gresh wrote:
    >>> What is the current conventional wisdom on the use of JINI? Is there
    >>> any reason I should or should not balk at a project that uses it?

    >> It is not widely used.
    >>
    >> SUN gave it to Apache.
    >>
    >> I think activity is very low.
    >>
    >> Not particular attractive to base ones code on.
    >>
    >> But I am not aware of a good replacement, so you may
    >> be stuck with it.

    > The Apache JINI project, Apache River, is now quite active. We've been
    > working mainly on quality and testing, and preparing for graduation from
    > the Apache Incubator to being a top level project. See
    > http://incubator.apache.org/river/.

    Sorry.

    I was just looking at the release frequency:
    http://archive.apache.org/dist/incubator/river/binaries/

    I have no knowledge about the internal level of activity.

    Arne

    Arne Vajhøj, Dec 15, 2010