JKorpela BEWARE !!

Jukka K. Korpela

PW said:
Beware that your username is being used to distribute viruses.

And what do you expect me to do with that? If you are going to issue
public warnings about all the forged From fields in virus E-mails, you
will have a _lot_ to do, and you will gain nothing. Well, let's say you
gain nothing positive.

(What you _could_ do something about is the forged From field _you_
deliberately use.)

PW

Jukka K. Korpela said:
And what do you expect me to do with that? If you are going to issue
public warnings about all the forged From fields in virus E-mails, you
will have a _lot_ to do, and you will gain nothing.

Hey Fella,
Just thought you'd like to know. Didn't mean to ruin your day ;-)

Tina - AffordableHOST.com

PW said:
Beware that your username is being used to distribute viruses.
The below email had "ps.exe" (22kb) attached to it.

You do realize that he didn't send that and he has absolutely nothing to do
with it? Thats how virii work...they spread themselves under forged email
headers. There's nothing he, or anyone else, can do about it.

--Tina

Jay

Tina - AffordableHOST.com said:
You do realize that he didn't send that and he has absolutely nothing to do
with it? Thats how virii work...they spread themselves under forged email
headers. There's nothing he, or anyone else, can do about it.

It looks like the OP was simply trying to inform Jukka that his email
address was being used by someone to distribute the virus. Perhaps this good
deed could have been done by emailing Jukka directly.

- J

Jukka K. Korpela

Jay said:
It looks like the OP was simply trying to inform Jukka that his
email address was being used by someone to distribute the virus.
Perhaps this good deed could have been done by emailing Jukka
directly.

There's no good deed in such an act.

Just for clarification: There is absolutely no point in using E-mail,
and still less Usenet, to send such notes. There are myriads of virus
E-mails sent every day, with all possible addresses forged into them.

Jay

Jukka K. Korpela said:
There's no good deed in such an act.

True. If everyone contacted me when they received a virus email with my
address spoofed it would probably cause more damage than the virus itself. I
was just assuming that the OP may have _thought_ that he/she was doing a
good deed. However, if their systems were updated they wouldn't have
anything to worry about :)
Just for clarification: There is absolutely no point in using E-mail,
and still less Usenet, to send such notes. There are myriads of virus
E-mails sent every day, with all possible addresses forged into them.

Unfortunatly, my address is forged onto many of them. At least it's my work
address ;-)

- J

PW

Tina - AffordableHOST.com said:
You do realize that he didn't send that and he has absolutely nothing to do
with it? Thats how virii work...they spread themselves under forged email
headers. There's nothing he, or anyone else, can do about it.

Yes, I know that.

PW

Jay said:
It looks like the OP was simply trying to inform Jukka that his email
address was being used by someone to distribute the virus. Perhaps this good
deed could have been done by emailing Jukka directly.

That was the original intent.

I've never seen my email address used this way, and would prefer to know
about it rather than not know about it.

Anyway, apologies to all those offended.

Chris Morris

Jay said:
True. If everyone contacted me when they received a virus email with my
address spoofed it would probably cause more damage than the virus itself. I

You don't get different anti-virus programs telling you just that?
Lucky you.

My procmail rules to filter out viruses are a few lines long.

My procmail rules to filter out anti-virus programs are 100 lines long
(I could probably cut this down a lot if I analysed what I'm filtering
on, I admit, but I just add 'signature text' to the bottom of the list
each time). And I have another 7 rules to add from today and
yesterday's AV bounces.