JLS index entries: famous people

Lew

I've noticed that the JLS index
<http://java.sun.com/docs/books/jls/third_edition/html/j3IX.html>
has entries for various famous people and even the Bible, e.g., "biblical
quotations", "Burroughs, Edgar Rice", "Chase, Lincoln", "Stein, Gertrude",
"Wordsworth, William" and more. The cited individuals (and Bible verses) are
not explicitly mentioned in the parts of the JLS to which these entries link.

What's up with that?

Qu0ll

Lew said:
I've noticed that the JLS index
<http://java.sun.com/docs/books/jls/third_edition/html/j3IX.html>
has entries for various famous people and even the Bible, e.g., "biblical
quotations", "Burroughs, Edgar Rice", "Chase, Lincoln", "Stein, Gertrude",
"Wordsworth, William" and more. The cited individuals (and Bible verses)
are not explicitly mentioned in the parts of the JLS to which these
entries link.

What's up with that?

That's quite bizarre! It looks like the work of an individual that went
unnoticed during the QA process.

--
And loving it,

-Qu0ll (Rare, not extinct)
(e-mail address removed)

John B. Matthews

"Qu0ll said:
That's quite bizarre! It looks like the work of an individual that went
unnoticed during the QA process.

Soft, weak and phantom references? I see Eco next to IKE.

Mike Schilling

Lew said:
I've noticed that the JLS index
<http://java.sun.com/docs/books/jls/third_edition/html/j3IX.html>
has entries for various famous people and even the Bible, e.g.,
"biblical quotations", "Burroughs, Edgar Rice", "Chase, Lincoln",
"Stein, Gertrude", "Wordsworth, William" and more. The cited
individuals (and Bible verses) are not explicitly mentioned in the
parts of the JLS to which these entries link.
What's up with that?

They're references to the quotes which introduce some sections of the
printed version. Apparently the online versions remove the quotes but
don't update the index accordingly.

John B. Matthews

"Mike Schilling said:

Good catch. Sadly, the quotes are missing from the pdf files, too. One
can (only) imagine opening chapter 6, Names, with the last line of
Eco's <i>The Name of the Rose</i> or chapter 15, Expressions, with
Eisenhower's remark about "freedom and wide avenues of expression."
Even a technical reference does not deserve to be stripped of artistry,
but I got what I paid for.

Roedy Green

I've noticed that the JLS index
<http://java.sun.com/docs/books/jls/third_edition/html/j3IX.html>
has entries for various famous people and even the Bible, e.g., "biblical
quotations", "Burroughs, Edgar Rice", "Chase, Lincoln", "Stein, Gertrude",
"Wordsworth, William" and more. The cited individuals (and Bible verses) are
not explicitly mentioned in the parts of the JLS to which these entries link.

It could have been hacked, the work of a disgruntled employee, or
something quixotic along the lines of the entry in a DEC manual:

endless loop: see loop, endless

loop, endless: see endless loop.

It is a bit odd because you'd think the index would be mechanically
generated.
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com

"Nature provides a free lunch, but only if we control our appetites."
~ William Ruckelshaus, America’s first head of the EPA

Mike Schilling

John said:
Good catch. Sadly, the quotes are missing from the pdf files, too. One
can (only) imagine opening chapter 6, Names, with the last line of
Eco's <i>The Name of the Rose</i> or chapter 15, Expressions, with
Eisenhower's remark about "freedom and wide avenues of expression."
Even a technical reference does not deserve to be stripped of
artistry, but I got what I paid for.

In the third edition, Names begins:

The Tao that can be told is not the eternal Tao;
The name that can be named is not the eternal name.
The Nameles is the origin of Heavan and Earth;
The Named is the mother of all things.
--Lao-Tsu

Expressions begins:

When you can measure what you are speaking about and express it in numbers,
you know something about it; but when you cannot meausre it, when you cannot
express it in numbers, your knowledge of it is of a meager and
unsatisfactory kind: it may be the beginning of knowledge, but you have
scarcely, in your thoughts, adavced to the stage of science.
-- William Thompson, Lord Kelvin

There are two quotes credited to Chico Marx and five to Groucho, most of
them from the contract scene in A Night at the Opera. ("Now, the party of
the first part shall be known in this contract as the party of the first
part...") But my favorite is the introduction to 8.2 Class Members:

"I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would accept me as a member."

No P.G. Wodehouse, though. Certainly the section on name lookup should
mention "Eulalie".