JMF & JPEG

prathapnirmal

Hi All,
I am relatively new to JMF and doing a feasibility study on whether
I can do the following with JMF:

* I have a file that is generated by concatenating (at binary level) a
huge set of JPEG files
* I need to play this file as a movie - just by displaying them in a
sequence.

I am looking for the best option to do this:

1. I can use JMF and implement a custom PushDataSource to read the
concatenated file, convert it into some other movie format and provide
it as a input to the player. I just
http://java.sun.com/products/java-media/jmf/2.1.1/solutions/JpegImagesToMovie.java
looked at this page but I do not have a clear idea yet on this.
2. Use java image io and build a awt based custom player to play this.
Just read these images in sequence and display them to the user.

I prefer JMF but not sure if that is the right thing to do. Any expert
suggestions and comments will be of great help. Please let me know if
I am not clear.

thanks
~
Prathap

Andrew Thompson

I prefer JMF but not sure if that is the right thing to do. Any expert ..

I am no expert on JMF, though I have tinkered with it,
and used JpegImagesToMovie with some success (once I
hacked it to accept a directory name, rather than
specifying the each of the 600+ images in the directory
by name!).

OTOH you would probably be better off looking further
into the PushDataSource, since it seems a bit kludgy
to be making (even a temporary) file of the JPEG images
to display. I have not had any need to use a PDS yet.
..suggestions and comments will be of great help.

Some other comments is that JMF is effectively
abandoned by Sun - they are already looking to
introduce JMC (Java Media Components) in Java 7.
That does not do much good for your task though,
since AFAIU - JMC will have less functionality
in its early stages than JMF already has.