JMF, RTP, and Streaming Video - beginners question

Discussion in 'Java' started by Paul Smith, Sep 2, 2003.

  1. Paul  Smith

    Paul Smith Guest

    I want to write a Java desktop application that contacts a web server
    to obtain and display streamed video (apologies if the terminilogy is
    not quite correct).

    Doing a search through Google, it seems that RTP and JMF crop up
    regularly in this context. If I create a JMF/RTP desktop program,
    would the web server need to serve the data over RTP? I don't really
    want to do anything on the web server at all. I just want to put some
    video on the web server and stream it to the desktop client. But I
    thought a web server (Tomcat, say) would only reply to http requests?

    So, is JMF/RTP the way to go given my requirements? If so, is there
    anything that needs to be done on the server side?

    Many thanks for any pointers you can provide.

    Regards,
    Paul

    Paul Smith, Sep 2, 2003