JMF webcam support

Discussion in 'Java' started by Roedy Green, Apr 19, 2004.

  1. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    JMF only seems to support RGB mode webcameras. Is there a way of
    knowing if they will work in this mode before you buy? Is there a
    list of Java-compatible webcams somewhere.

    I have a cheapie Labtec USB that does work, but the image quality is
    atrocious. Creative labs does not appear to work, neither does an
    E-Video DC-350 USB Camera.

    there is a short list at
    http://java.sun.com/products/java-media/jmf/2.1.1/formats.html

    I guess I could start a list in the Java glossary of ones that
    work/don't work. Please pass on your comments or else notes on how to
    make YUV format work.

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    Roedy Green, Apr 19, 2004

  2. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    What brands of WebCam are people having success with under Java JMF?

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    Roedy Green, Apr 19, 2004

  3. Roedy Green

    JScoobyCed Guest

    "Roedy Green" <> wrote:
    > JMF only seems to support RGB mode webcameras. Is there a way of
    > knowing if they will work in this mode before you buy? Is there a
    > list of Java-compatible webcams somewhere.

    I didn't try YUV format with JMF, but I'll try when I go back home and tell
    you tomorow.

    > I have a cheapie Labtec USB that does work, but the image quality is
    > atrocious. Creative labs does not appear to work, neither does an
    > E-Video DC-350 USB Camera.

    Mine is a D-Link DU-310 (cheapie one too, image is fine if the light comes
    from sunlight or powerful halogene, image is awfult under a lamp light)

    > there is a short list at
    > http://java.sun.com/products/java-media/jmf/2.1.1/formats.html
    >
    > I guess I could start a list in the Java glossary of ones that
    > work/don't work. Please pass on your comments or else notes on how to
    > make YUV format work.

    Sure, I'll post tomorow if it works.
    > --
    > Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    JScoobyCed
    -------------

    JScoobyCed, Apr 20, 2004
  4. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 09:00:16 +0700, "JScoobyCed" <>
    wrote or quoted :

    >Mine is a D-Link DU-310 (cheapie one too, image is fine if the light comes
    >from sunlight or powerful halogene, image is awfult under a lamp light)

    The strange thing is Java Media Studio does work with cameras that
    won't work in JMF. They are doing something clever to make YUV work.

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    Roedy Green, Apr 20, 2004
  5. Roedy Green

    JScoobyCed Guest

    "Roedy Green" <> wrote
    > >Mine is a D-Link DU-310 (cheapie one too, image is fine if the light

    comes
    > >from sunlight or powerful halogene, image is awfult under a lamp light)

    > The strange thing is Java Media Studio does work with cameras that
    > won't work in JMF. They are doing something clever to make YUV work.

    My code works with YUV format: YUV, 640x480, FrameRate=15.0 (and other sets
    of sizes and framerate)
    I use some code that can be found on the JMF website in the application
    sample (a set of CaptureUtil.java, MonitorStream.java, ...)

    JScoobyCed
    -------------

    JScoobyCed, Apr 20, 2004
  6. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 20:30:27 +0700, "JScoobyCed" <> wrote
    or quoted :

    >My code works with YUV format: YUV, 640x480, FrameRate=15.0 (and other sets
    >of sizes and framerate)
    >I use some code that can be found on the JMF website in the application
    >sample (a set of CaptureUtil.java, MonitorStream.java, ...)

    That is terrific news. I banged my head against that for days trying
    to get YUV to work.

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    Roedy Green, Apr 20, 2004