JMF webcam support

Roedy Green

JMF only seems to support RGB mode webcameras. Is there a way of
knowing if they will work in this mode before you buy? Is there a
list of Java-compatible webcams somewhere.

I have a cheapie Labtec USB that does work, but the image quality is
atrocious. Creative labs does not appear to work, neither does an
E-Video DC-350 USB Camera.

there is a short list at
http://java.sun.com/products/java-media/jmf/2.1.1/formats.html

I guess I could start a list in the Java glossary of ones that
work/don't work. Please pass on your comments or else notes on how to
make YUV format work.

JScoobyCed

Roedy Green said:
JMF only seems to support RGB mode webcameras. Is there a way of
knowing if they will work in this mode before you buy? Is there a
list of Java-compatible webcams somewhere.

I didn't try YUV format with JMF, but I'll try when I go back home and tell
you tomorow.
I have a cheapie Labtec USB that does work, but the image quality is
atrocious. Creative labs does not appear to work, neither does an
E-Video DC-350 USB Camera.

Mine is a D-Link DU-310 (cheapie one too, image is fine if the light comes
from sunlight or powerful halogene, image is awfult under a lamp light)
there is a short list at
http://java.sun.com/products/java-media/jmf/2.1.1/formats.html

I guess I could start a list in the Java glossary of ones that
work/don't work. Please pass on your comments or else notes on how to
make YUV format work.

Sure, I'll post tomorow if it works.
JScoobyCed
-------------

Roedy Green

Mine is a D-Link DU-310 (cheapie one too, image is fine if the light comes
from sunlight or powerful halogene, image is awfult under a lamp light)

The strange thing is Java Media Studio does work with cameras that
won't work in JMF. They are doing something clever to make YUV work.

JScoobyCed

Roedy Green said:
The strange thing is Java Media Studio does work with cameras that
won't work in JMF. They are doing something clever to make YUV work.

My code works with YUV format: YUV, 640x480, FrameRate=15.0 (and other sets
of sizes and framerate)
I use some code that can be found on the JMF website in the application
sample (a set of CaptureUtil.java, MonitorStream.java, ...)

JScoobyCed

Roedy Green

My code works with YUV format: YUV, 640x480, FrameRate=15.0 (and other sets
of sizes and framerate)
I use some code that can be found on the JMF website in the application
sample (a set of CaptureUtil.java, MonitorStream.java, ...)

That is terrific news. I banged my head against that for days trying
to get YUV to work.