JMS over a serial port (rs232)

PaullyB

I am beginning work on a system that requires messaging between two
computers over a serial port. I will basically be passing objects over
the serial line between applications running on remote computers. I
have looked into JMS (which I have never used before), and it looks
like it might be a good fit for the system I am developing. Has anyone
out there used JMS in conjunction with the Java Communications API,
specifically over a serial port? I have a lot of experience using the
Java Communications API for handling simple text messages over the
serial line. However, I am not sure if sending serialized objects
using JMS would be overkill. Do you recommend I use JMS or something
simpler like creating my own message protocol. I could do something
simple like have some start and stop bytes with the serialized object I
am passing as the body of the message?

More system background - The remote computer will be connected to GPS
and inertial navigation equipment on a vehicle. The local computer
will run the GUI. Messages going back and forth will include INS/GPS
data, systems status, system initialization data entered by the user in
the GUI, etc.

Any help and/or insight would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Paul