JMS over a serial port (rs232)

Discussion in 'Java' started by PaullyB, Feb 22, 2005.

  1. PaullyB

    PaullyB Guest

    I am beginning work on a system that requires messaging between two
    computers over a serial port. I will basically be passing objects over
    the serial line between applications running on remote computers. I
    have looked into JMS (which I have never used before), and it looks
    like it might be a good fit for the system I am developing. Has anyone
    out there used JMS in conjunction with the Java Communications API,
    specifically over a serial port? I have a lot of experience using the
    Java Communications API for handling simple text messages over the
    serial line. However, I am not sure if sending serialized objects
    using JMS would be overkill. Do you recommend I use JMS or something
    simpler like creating my own message protocol. I could do something
    simple like have some start and stop bytes with the serialized object I
    am passing as the body of the message?

    More system background - The remote computer will be connected to GPS
    and inertial navigation equipment on a vehicle. The local computer
    will run the GUI. Messages going back and forth will include INS/GPS
    data, systems status, system initialization data entered by the user in
    the GUI, etc.

    Any help and/or insight would be appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Paul

    PaullyB, Feb 22, 2005