JNDI naming conventions?

Discussion in 'Java' started by Scott Balmos, Jun 15, 2005.

  1. Scott Balmos

    Scott Balmos Guest

    Hi all,

    I've been Googling around to get a general idea on this, with
    conflicting success. I was wondering if anyone had any good resources
    on naming conventions for their JNDI namespaces?

    I've seen java:/comp/env/foo/bar/jdbc/??? for JDBC stuff, JBoss has
    java:/Mail, java:/Queue/{a,b,c,...}, etc in their examples, etc. Far as
    I know, nothing is actually "required" to be at a particular named
    location in JNDI, thus the whole namespace is freeform. So what all do
    you use? I've considered the following:

    java:/ProductA/
    /JMS
    /Queue/{foo,bar,baz}
    /Topic/{foo,bar,baz}
    /JDBC
    /databaseA, etc

    separating the top-level by product. Also, the same, except separating
    by physical provider (e.g. top level entries for JDBC, JMS, etc).

    Any resources or weblinks to naming suggestions? Thanks!

    --Scott

    Scott Balmos, Jun 15, 2005