JNI, threads are still running after DestroyJavaVM()

Olivier GROSSET-GRANGE

Hello all,

As the object of this thread suggests, the problem I encounter is that
in a minimalist test program, there are "ghost" threads after calling
DestroyJavaVM().
The environment is WIN32, JRE/JDK 1.6.0_21, and C++ (Visual Studio
2008).
Under certain circumstances, it prevents some processes from exiting
(ie: IIS7.5 Application Pool : w3wp.exe).
May be I'm doing something wrong or I forgot one step,
Here is the very simple code to reproduce the problem:

// testDestroyJavaVM.cpp : Defines the entry point for the console
application.
//

#include "stdafx.h"

#include <conio.h>

#include "jni.h"
#pragma comment(lib, "jvm.lib")

int _tmain(int argc, _TCHAR* argv[])
{
printf("press key to start");
getch();
printf("\nstart.");
int MAX = 1; // can't call JNI_CreateJavaVM() more than once for some
reason...
for (int i=0; i<MAX; i++)
{
JavaVM* jvm = NULL;
JNIEnv* env = NULL;
do
{
JavaVMOption jvmOptions;
JavaVMInitArgs vm_args;
vm_args.version = JNI_VERSION_1_6;
vm_args.nOptions = 0;
vm_args.options = &jvmOptions;
vm_args.ignoreUnrecognized = 1;

// *** 1 thread before JNI_CreateJavaVM() ***
int retcode = JNI_CreateJavaVM(&jvm, (void**)&env, &vm_args);
// *** 9 threads after JNI_CreateJavaVM() ***
if(retcode < 0)
{
printf("JNI_CreateJavaVM failed: %d\n", retcode);
break;
while (false);
if (NULL != jvm)
jvm->DestroyJavaVM();
// *** 6 threads after DestroyJavaVM() ***
}
printf("\ndone.");
getch();
return 0;
} // END OF CODE

Does someone know how to fix this problem please?
Is it a known problem ?

Thanks in advance for any help,
Olivier.

Arne Vajhoej

[...]

It is documented that non-daemon threads will continue to run
after DestroyJavaVM is called.

Do you actually start some Java code that is still running?

Other than that check the DestroyJavaVM method doc - I seem to
recall that it should be called with the jvm as argument.

Arne

olivier

Hello,
Thanks for the answer.
No java code is run in this example.
Fyi,the call to DestroyJavaVM is a c++ like call (which actually calls the riight JNI function with jvm as parameter).
Best regards,
Olivier