JNI_CreateJavaVM fails in client jvm, if initial/max heap sizes are specified

Naresh Agarwal

Hi

I've a C++ application on Solaris, which uses JNI Invocation APIs to
call a Java class.

This application loads the client JVM
(/Java_Home/jre/lib/sparc/client/libjvm.so) dynamically, call
JNI_CreateJavaVM and then call Java classes. While creating VM, I pass
only classpath as option

This application works fine.

However, if I specify the initial and maximum heap sizes (i.e., -Xms
and -Xmx options) while creating JVM (i.e., while calling
JNI_CreateJavaVM), the application fails at JNI_CreateJavaVM call.

Any ideas why this is happening.

thanks,
Naresh

Gordon Beaton

if I specify the initial and maximum heap sizes (i.e., -Xms and -Xmx
options) while creating JVM (i.e., while calling JNI_CreateJavaVM),
the application fails at JNI_CreateJavaVM call.

Any ideas why this is happening.

Not off hand. Post your launcher code.

/gordon

Chris Uppal

Naresh said:
However, if I specify the initial and maximum heap sizes (i.e., -Xms
and -Xmx options) while creating JVM (i.e., while calling
JNI_CreateJavaVM), the application fails at JNI_CreateJavaVM call.

Unless someone has seen this before then I think you'll have to show code.

-- chris

Hemal Pandya

Naresh Agarwal wrote:
[....]
However, if I specify the initial and maximum heap sizes (i.e., -Xms
and -Xmx options) while creating JVM (i.e., while calling
JNI_CreateJavaVM), the application fails at JNI_CreateJavaVM call.

Any ideas why this is happening.

Are you sure you have got the parameters values right? VM creation
fails if the minimum heap size is more then the maximum heap size. Try
starting VM on command line with the same parameters.