JNLP Launch File Error

Discussion in 'Java' started by blue, Nov 8, 2005.

  1. blue

    blue Guest

    I am having trouble launching an app from Java Web Start. Has anyone any
    ideas why it's not working?
    Details of JNLP file below.

    An error occurred while launching/running the application.

    Category: Launch File Error

    No application resources are specified for this platform. Please, contact
    the vendor of the application to make sure that this is a supported
    platform.

    <jnlp spec="1.0+" codebase="http://www.cjswebdesign.co.uk/hex"
    href="launch.php" >
    <application-desc main-class="uk.co.cjswebdesign.color.HEXColorPicker"

    </application-desc>
    <information>
    <title>Hex Color Picker</title>
    <vendor>cjswebdesign.co.uk</vendor>
    <homepage href="http://www.cjswebdesign.co.uk/hex"/>
    <description>Hex Color Picker</description>
    <description kind="short">Hex Color Picker</description>
    <icon href="http://www.cjswebdesign.co.uk/hex/smfeed.gif"/>
    <offline-allowed/>
    </information>
    <security>
    <all-permissions>
    </security>
    <resources>
    <j2se version="1.5+" initial-heap-size="64m" max-heap-size="512m"/>

    <j2se version="1.4+" initial-heap-size="64m" max-heap-size="512m"/>
    <j2se version="1.3+" initial-heap-size="64m" max-heap-size="512m"/>
    <jar href="hchoose.jar" main="true" download="eager"/>
    </resources>
    </jnlp>

    JNLPException[category: Launch File Error : Exception: null : LaunchDesc:
    <jnlp spec="1.0+" codebase="http://www.cjswebdesign.co.uk/hex/"
    href="http://www.cjswebdesign.co.uk/hex/launch.php">
    <information>
    <title>Hex Color Picker</title>
    <vendor>cjswebdesign.co.uk</vendor>
    <homepage href="http://www.cjswebdesign.co.uk/hex"/>
    <description>Hex Color Picker</description>
    <description kind="short">Hex Color Picker</description>
    <icon href="http://www.cjswebdesign.co.uk/hex/smfeed.gif"
    kind="default"/>
    <offline-allowed/>
    </information>
    <security>
    <all-permissions/>
    </security>
    <application-desc main-class="uk.co.cjswebdesign.color.HEXColorPicker"/>
    </jnlp> ]
    at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.handleLaunchFile(Unknown Source)
    at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

    blue, Nov 8, 2005

  2. blue wrote:

    > <jnlp spec="1.0+" codebase="http://www.cjswebdesign.co.uk/hex"
    > href="launch.php" >

    When I make a direct call for the file..
    <http://www.cjswebdesign.co.uk/hex/launch.php>
    ...I end up *getting* 'launch.php.jnlp'.

    I am not surprised that confuses JWS, it expect to know where
    the original file is.

    Try it with a hard coded JNLP file (I take it you are
    generating the other one, with PHP?).

    Andrew Thompson, Nov 9, 2005

  3. blue

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Tue, 08 Nov 2005 19:27:42 GMT, "blue" <> wrote,

    >href="launch.php"

    It probably wants that to be launch.jnlp

    According to http://mindprod.com/applets/mimecheck.html
    you are serving application/x-java-jnlp-file
    instead of application/x-httpd-php
    for http://www.cjswebdesign.co.uk/hex/launch.php

    and
    text/html; charset=iso-8859-1
    instead of application/x-java-jnlp-file for
    http://www.cjswebdesign.co.uk/hex/launch.jnlp

    see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/mime.html
    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    Roedy Green, Nov 9, 2005
  4. blue

    blue Guest

    Thanks for the tips and help.

    Tried with hard coded JNLP file. No luck there. I Was trying to get round
    that the server is not set up for MIME type application/x-java-jnlp-file and
    got a tip about doing the header MIME type with PHP.

    Having no luck, seems easier to ask support to add mime type to server.

    Thanks

    blue, Nov 10, 2005
  5. blue wrote:
    > ...seems easier to ask support to add mime type to server.

    That would be the way I'd approach it. Unless suppport
    have offered you a 'control panel' (type thingy) to allow
    you to set up mime-type associations yourself.

    Andrew Thompson, Nov 10, 2005
  6. blue

    blue Guest

    Tried support, no luck as yet getting MIME type added.
    No options to add my own MIME types. Will leave Web Start on the back burner
    for now, untill I change to a Tomcat hosting pakage.

    blue, Nov 11, 2005
  7. blue

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 18:41:53 GMT, "blue" <> wrote,

    >Tried support, no luck as yet getting MIME type added.
    >No options to add my own MIME types. Will leave Web Start on the back burner
    >for now, untill I change to a Tomcat hosting pakage.

    If you have access to even a tiny corner of some other website where
    jnlp is served with the proper mime type, you can host the jnlp file
    there.

    You are almost there:
    According to http://mindprod.com/applets/mimecheck.html
    you are serving application/x-java-jnlp-file
    instead of application/x-httpd-php
    for http://www.cjswebdesign.co.uk/hex/launch.php
    if you could just get that to read launch.jnlp you would have it.

    Perhaps something with a redirect.
    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    Roedy Green, Nov 12, 2005
  8. Roedy Green wrote:
    > You are almost there:
    > According to http://mindprod.com/applets/mimecheck.html
    > you are serving application/x-java-jnlp-file
    > instead of application/x-httpd-php
    > for http://www.cjswebdesign.co.uk/hex/launch.php
    > if you could just get that to read launch.jnlp you would have it.

    It does seem as if the '.php' extension is the entire source
    of the problem. If that is the case, the current options seem..
    - fix it on the current site and it will work.
    - move it to another site as-is, and face exactly the same problem.

    Andrew Thompson, Nov 12, 2005