    Any suggestions appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Daniel.

    Daniel Pitts, Aug 23, 2012

  2. Daniel Pitts

    markspace Guest

    On 8/23/2012 10:55 AM, Daniel Pitts wrote:
    > I'm considering working on a Minecraft like project, just as an
    > experiment/hobby. I have no intention of competing with Mojang or Notch ;-)
    >
    > I have very little experience with any 3D libraries (other than basic
    > home-grown ones that aren't hardware accelerated). So, the question I
    > have is what would be a good first library to jump into?

    I haven't used any 3D library myself, so I can't say for certain, but
    I've done some research and jMonkey is the one I would pick.

    http://jmonkeyengine.com/

    markspace, Aug 23, 2012

  3. Daniel Pitts

    Jeff Higgins Guest

    On 08/23/2012 01:55 PM, Daniel Pitts wrote:
    > I'm considering working on a Minecraft like project, just as an
    > experiment/hobby. I have no intention of competing with Mojang or Notch ;-)
    >
    > I have very little experience with any 3D libraries (other than basic
    > home-grown ones that aren't hardware accelerated). So, the question I
    > have is what would be a good first library to jump into? Given the hobby
    > project status, portability isn't a big deal, but would be a nice to
    > have in case I want to share this with friends. If you're going to
    > suggest a non-portable library, keep in mind I use a Mac.
    >
    > What's most important to me is the community around the library, and the
    > continued development of the core of the library.
    >

    > Any suggestions appreciated.

    jMonkeyEngine?

    Jeff Higgins, Aug 23, 2012
  4. Daniel Pitts

    Daniel Pitts Guest

    On 8/23/12 11:58 AM, markspace wrote:
    > I haven't used any 3D library myself, so I can't say for certain, but I've done some research and jMonkey is the one I would pick.

    Yes, this looks very promising. Thanks to both of you!

    Daniel Pitts, Aug 24, 2012
  5. Daniel Pitts

    markspace Guest

    On 8/23/2012 4:54 PM, Daniel Pitts wrote:

    > On 8/23/12 12:02 PM, Jeff Higgins wrote:
    >> jMonkeyEngine?

    > Yes, this looks very promising. Thanks to both of you!

    One thing about jMonkey is that it is two projects: ones a helper/IDE,
    and one is just the open source. jMonkeyEngine.com is the IDE helper
    part, and http://jmonkeyengine.org/ is the open source project.

    markspace, Aug 24, 2012
  6. Daniel Pitts

    Joerg Meier Guest

    On Thu, 23 Aug 2012 10:55:58 -0700, Daniel Pitts wrote:

    > I'm considering working on a Minecraft like project, just as an
    > experiment/hobby. I have no intention of competing with Mojang or Notch ;-)

    > I have very little experience with any 3D libraries (other than basic
    > home-grown ones that aren't hardware accelerated). So, the question I
    > have is what would be a good first library to jump into? Given the
    > hobby project status, portability isn't a big deal, but would be a nice
    > to have in case I want to share this with friends. If you're going to
    > suggest a non-portable library, keep in mind I use a Mac.

    > What's most important to me is the community around the library, and the
    > continued development of the core of the library.

    > Any suggestions appreciated.

    You could check out the one Minecraft itself uses, LWJGL.

    Liebe Gruesse,
    Joerg

    ungelesen.

    Joerg Meier, Aug 24, 2012