JOGL, Java3d, or other?

Daniel Pitts

I'm considering working on a Minecraft like project, just as an
experiment/hobby. I have no intention of competing with Mojang or Notch ;-)

I have very little experience with any 3D libraries (other than basic
home-grown ones that aren't hardware accelerated). So, the question I
have is what would be a good first library to jump into? Given the
hobby project status, portability isn't a big deal, but would be a nice
to have in case I want to share this with friends. If you're going to
suggest a non-portable library, keep in mind I use a Mac.

What's most important to me is the community around the library, and the
continued development of the core of the library.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,
Daniel.

markspace

I'm considering working on a Minecraft like project, just as an
experiment/hobby. I have no intention of competing with Mojang or Notch ;-)

I have very little experience with any 3D libraries (other than basic
home-grown ones that aren't hardware accelerated). So, the question I
have is what would be a good first library to jump into?

I haven't used any 3D library myself, so I can't say for certain, but
I've done some research and jMonkey is the one I would pick.

http://jmonkeyengine.com/

Jeff Higgins

I'm considering working on a Minecraft like project, just as an
experiment/hobby. I have no intention of competing with Mojang or Notch ;-)

I have very little experience with any 3D libraries (other than basic
home-grown ones that aren't hardware accelerated). So, the question I
have is what would be a good first library to jump into? Given the hobby
project status, portability isn't a big deal, but would be a nice to
have in case I want to share this with friends. If you're going to
suggest a non-portable library, keep in mind I use a Mac.

What's most important to me is the community around the library, and the
continued development of the core of the library.

Any suggestions appreciated.

jMonkeyEngine?

[...]

Yes, this looks very promising. Thanks to both of you!

Joerg Meier

I'm considering working on a Minecraft like project, just as an
experiment/hobby. I have no intention of competing with Mojang or Notch ;-)
I have very little experience with any 3D libraries (other than basic
home-grown ones that aren't hardware accelerated). So, the question I
have is what would be a good first library to jump into? Given the
hobby project status, portability isn't a big deal, but would be a nice
to have in case I want to share this with friends. If you're going to
suggest a non-portable library, keep in mind I use a Mac.
What's most important to me is the community around the library, and the
continued development of the core of the library.
Any suggestions appreciated.

You could check out the one Minecraft itself uses, LWJGL.

Liebe Gruesse,
Joerg