JOGL too slow

Reza Roby

Arrrg... cross posted incorrectly the first time. Sorry :(

Hi guys,

I've written an application that makes many OpenGL calls for rendering a
scene. (The calls are glColor3f and glVertex3f, mostly.)

when my loops make about 1,400,000 additional calls to glColor3f, render
time goes from 50 Milliseconds to 300 Milliseconds!

Straight c (gcc/linux) can do 1,400,000 glColor3f's, 20 times as fast
(same hardware.)

This suggests the jogl->OpenGL bridge is very slow.

I could be wrong, but I think not.

My question is not JOGL specific:

Can you briefly explain how the Java->native bridge is implemented?

How that explains the JOGL slowness?

And if it can be made faster?

I chose Java for it's seamless platform independence, and fairly decent
JIT, but Java->OpenGL speed is crucial.

I am presently looking into wxWindows and wxGLCanvas as a potential
alternative.

I really appreciate any help that makes my decision easier.

PS:

I won't shy away from reading the JOGL source code, if you tell me how
it works, and what to do.

Vincent Cantin

I've written an application that makes many OpenGL calls for rendering a
scene. (The calls are glColor3f and glVertex3f, mostly.)

Don't you know that there some others way to display polygons ?
You choosed the more slow one.
How that explains the JOGL slowness?
And if it can be made faster?

Use display lists, vertex buffer and vertex objects