JOGL too slow

Discussion in 'Java' started by Reza Roby, May 7, 2004.

  1. Reza Roby

    Reza Roby Guest

    Arrrg... cross posted incorrectly the first time. Sorry :(

    Hi guys,

    I've written an application that makes many OpenGL calls for rendering a
    scene. (The calls are glColor3f and glVertex3f, mostly.)

    when my loops make about 1,400,000 additional calls to glColor3f, render
    time goes from 50 Milliseconds to 300 Milliseconds!

    Straight c (gcc/linux) can do 1,400,000 glColor3f's, 20 times as fast
    (same hardware.)

    This suggests the jogl->OpenGL bridge is very slow.

    I could be wrong, but I think not.

    My question is not JOGL specific:

    Can you briefly explain how the Java->native bridge is implemented?

    How that explains the JOGL slowness?

    And if it can be made faster?

    I chose Java for it's seamless platform independence, and fairly decent
    JIT, but Java->OpenGL speed is crucial.

    I am presently looking into wxWindows and wxGLCanvas as a potential
    alternative.

    I really appreciate any help that makes my decision easier.

    PS:

    I won't shy away from reading the JOGL source code, if you tell me how
    it works, and what to do.

    Reza Roby, May 7, 2004

  2. > I've written an application that makes many OpenGL calls for rendering a
    > scene. (The calls are glColor3f and glVertex3f, mostly.)

    Don't you know that there some others way to display polygons ?
    You choosed the more slow one.

    > How that explains the JOGL slowness?
    > And if it can be made faster?

    Use display lists, vertex buffer and vertex objects

    Vincent Cantin, Jun 24, 2004