jogl

ivan danicic

Hello All, in order to write an applet using JOGL I need a *SIMPLE* example
using no special libraries etc. Would some kind person please supply one.
I can write JOGL non applet programs.
Ivan

Andrew Thompson

Hello All, in order to write an applet
using JOGL I need a *SIMPLE* example

If you want 'simple', deploy using web start.
using no special libraries etc.

You want a 'rabbit out of the hat' with that?
..Would some kind person please supply one.

What is your budget for this example?

Andrew T.

Chris Uppal

Andrew said:
If you want 'simple', deploy using web start.

You want a 'rabbit out of the hat' with that?

What is your budget for this example?

Andrew, I think you have misinterpreted the tone of the OP's request.

To the OP: but Andrew's advice to forget applets and use webstart for this is
almost certainly correct. Personally I don't know much about JOGL (except that
it runs very badly on my machine), but it /needs/ add-on libraries and I don't
think that is (or should be) possible for an applet[*].

([*] maybe if it's signed ? But then you are definitely not talking
'simple'...)

-- chris

ivan danicic

Andrew said:
If you want 'simple', deploy using web start.

You want a 'rabbit out of the hat' with that?

What is your budget for this example?

Andrew T.
Hello, No rabbit, no budget, just want a polite reply.
Ivan

Andrew Thompson

...Personally I don't know much about JOGL (except that
it runs very badly on my machine), but it /needs/ add-on libraries and I don't
think that is (or should be) possible for an applet[*].

I managed to get JOGL running as an applet,
only after the JOGL binaries were installed,
and then only once each browser session.

The problem seemed to be that JOGL was
calling functionality that is not available
to applets (System.exit() AFAIR), failing,
and failing to clean up after itself.

Further JOGL applets (or the same page
refreshed) would have the applet fail
to start.
([*] maybe if it's signed ? But then you are definitely not talking
'simple'...)

I tried supplying the classes and
natives to the applet, could not get
it to work, signed or otherwise.

OTOH - a web start launch is simplicity
itself. The JOGL libs. are available
as a JWS <component-descriptor> that
the developer can simply link to from
within their own JNLP.

Andrew T.

ivan danicic

Andrew said:
[...]

Hello, does that mean that if I have a JOGL "application" (containing a
"main()") I can get this to run in my web page? What extra work needs to be
done? Any comments gratefully received.
Ivan

Andrew Thompson

Hello, does that mean that if I have a JOGL "application" (containing a
"main()") I can get this to run in my web page?

Nothing I was talking about works 'in'
a web page. Web start launches a free
floating frame or applet, but it can
be launched using a JNLP (web start)
file linked *from* a web page.

E.G. said:
..What extra work needs to be
done?

Web start can launch applets.
..Any comments gratefully received.

Even if they are not (what you would
consider to be) 'polite'? ;-)

Andrew T.

RedGrittyBrick

ivan said:
Hello All, in order to write an applet using JOGL I need a *SIMPLE* example
using no special libraries etc. Would some kind person please supply one.
I can write JOGL non applet programs.
Ivan

Googling for jogl reveals

https://jogl-demos.dev.java.net/applettest.html

"The new JOGL Applet Launcher enables the creation and deployment of
applets using 3D graphics via OpenGL without requiring the applet to be
signed or performing any manual installation of software on users'
computers. It has been tested and should work on any OS/CPU combination
supported by JOGL with a Java Runtime Environment version 1.4.2 or later
installed into the web browser. Here is an example of the standard Gears
demo running as an applet:"

Not knowing jogl I have no way of telling if what the page refers to
meets your requirements of "simple" and "no special libraries" but the
wording strongly suggests that this may be the case.

Alex Hunsley

Andrew said:
Nothing I was talking about works 'in'
a web page. Web start launches a free
floating frame or applet, but it can
be launched using a JNLP (web start)
file linked *from* a web page.

E.G. <http://www.physci.org/jws/#jtest>

Interesting page, thanks. JNLP isn't widely enough known about/used,
methinks.
Are you the AndrewThompson64 user you mention on your webpage above? I'm
just curious. Same name, but you talk about them in 3rd person, which
looks like it isn't you....

Andrew Thompson

Interesting page, thanks.

You're welcome.
..JNLP isn't widely enough known about/used,
methinks.

I will continue to do my bit to promote
this wonderful deployment technology, from
suggesting it every time I here the word
'applet' or any application deployment
suited to JWS, to putting up complete
examples of use of web start and the JNLP
API.
Are you the AndrewThompson64 user you mention on your webpage above?

Yes. I would link to my posts on usenet,
but those Sun posts are generally more
specific to web start.
..I'm
just curious. Same name, but you talk about them in 3rd person, which
looks like it isn't you....

umm.. had not realised. I was probably
just trying to get away from my excessive
use of the word 'I'. ;-)

Andrew T.

Mark Space

ivan said:
Hello, does that mean that if I have a JOGL "application" (containing a
"main()") I can get this to run in my web page?

I think Andrew was trying to say "No", it doesn't work. At all.
What extra work needs to be
done? Any comments gratefully received.
Ivan

From Andrew's description in the previous port, it sounds like JOGL has
serious flaws as a applet. You'd have to do some serious debugging (and
code fixing) in the JOGL library itself.

Andrew Thompson

ivan danicic wrote: ... ...
From Andrew's description in the previous port, it sounds like JOGL has
serious flaws as a applet. You'd have to do some serious debugging (and
code fixing) in the JOGL library itself.

Perhaps not, I was unaware of the changes
mentioned by RGB (to be honest - it had
been more than a year since I had carefully
looked at JOGL).

Andrew T.

Ian Wilson

Alex said:
Andrew Thompson wrote:

Interesting page, thanks. JNLP isn't widely enough known about/used,
methinks.

Really? Sometimes it seems to me that fully half of Andrews postings
tell folk how JWS is the solution to their problem. I find this frequent
advocacy of JWS rather hard to miss.

(the other half of Andrew's postings are admonishing spammers)

(I wouldn't be at all surprised if some postings do both :)

Andrew Thompson

Really? Sometimes it seems to me that fully half of Andrews postings
tell folk how JWS is the solution to their problem. I find this frequent
advocacy of JWS rather hard to miss.

I must admit, I am still not entirely
sure that Lex was not simply 'taking
the piss'*.

* Is that an expression known anywhere
outside Australia? TTP -> making fun
of a person/people.

Andrew T.

Alex Hunsley

Andrew said:
I must admit, I am still not entirely
sure that Lex was not simply 'taking
the piss'*.

Nope, I wasn't extracting the pee-pee - I meant what I wrote.
When I said "JNLP isn't widely enough known about/used, methinks", I
meant it in a general way, and not in the context of myself, or even
this newsgroup... it's not like I've just found out about JNLP, but I've
not looked at it much before, either.
lex

ivan danicic

Andrew said:
You're welcome.

I will continue to do my bit to promote
this wonderful deployment technology, from
suggesting it every time I here the word
'applet' or any application deployment
suited to JWS, to putting up complete
examples of use of web start and the JNLP
API.

Yes. I would link to my posts on usenet,
but those Sun posts are generally more
specific to web start.

umm.. had not realised. I was probably
just trying to get away from my excessive
use of the word 'I'. ;-)

Andrew T.
Hello all, I still have not got an answer to my previous question: if I want
to put a java application onto my web page (for all to run) using web start
what do I need to do? Obviously this would be wonderful as I wouldn't have
to convert the application to an applet first.
Ivan

Michael Rauscher

ivan said:
Hello all, I still have not got an answer to my previous question: if I want
to put a java application onto my web page (for all to run) using web start
what do I need to do? Obviously this would be wonderful as I wouldn't have
to convert the application to an applet first.

You'd have to create a jnlp-file.

And please refrain from full-posting in the future since the reader
expects to get something from you to read and not to waste time for
searching your response.

Bye
Michael

Andrew Thompson

I partly misread your earlier question..

Aha! I thought you were talking about
converting an applet, and I wanted to get
that sorted first. OK..
You'd have to create a jnlp-file.

Yep.

Now I know you are 'on board' with the
idea of launching via JWS, I hunted down
the relevant info. on my javasaver site..

Here is an example lauch file..
<http://www.javasaver.com/testjs/jws/04/glclock.jnlp>

The content of that JNLP file is..
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<jnlp spec="1.0"
codebase="http://www.javasaver.com/testjs/jws/04/"
href="glclock.jnlp">
<information>
<title>Preview - GLClock</title>
<vendor>SaverBeans - JDIC</vendor>
<description>Preview of the GLClock SaverBeans Screensaver</
description>
<description kind='tooltip'>GLClock Preview</description>
<icon kind="splash" href="sb-jws-splash.gif" width="450"
height="250" size="16075" />
<icon href="smallbean-32x32.gif" width="32" height="32"
size="1044" />
<offline-allowed/>
<shortcut online="false">
<!-- create desktop shortcut -->
<desktop/>
<menu submenu="SaverBeans Screensaver"/>
</shortcut>
</information>
<resources>
<j2se href="http://java.sun.com/products/autodl/j2se"
version="1.5+"/>
<jar href="glclock.jar" size="4917"/>
<jar href="saverbeans-api-dev.jar" main="true" />
<jar href="other.zip" size="4246" />
<extension name="jogl" href="https://jogl.dev.java.net/webstart/
jogl.jnlp" />
<property name="jnlp.saverName" value="GLClock"/>
<property name="jnlp.config" value="/glclock.xml"/>
</resources>

<application-desc main-
class="org.jdesktop.jdic.screensaver.ScreensaverFrame">
<argument>org.jdesktop.jdic.screensaver.clock.GLClock</argument>
</application-desc>
</jnlp>

Most of the resource mentioned there can
be seen in the directory listing for ..
<http://www.javasaver.com/testjs/jws/04/>
...they proabably amount to around 100Kb,
but the bulk of it is coming straight off
the JOGL area of the JDIC site.

Ironically, amongst all the fluff from
my site (icons and such) the smallest part
is probably the actual screensaver jar
that all this is meant to display. The
gjclock.jar is less than 5Kb.

Note there were some package changes last
year(?) to the JOGL api., and I suspect
they must have provided a new URL for
the repackaged classes, check the JOGL/JDIC
site for latest information.

HTH

Andrew T.

Chris Uppal

Andrew Thompson wrote:

I must admit, I am still not entirely
sure that Lex was not simply 'taking
the piss'*.

* Is that an expression known anywhere
outside Australia? TTP -> making fun
of a person/people.

Most definitely known here in the UK.

-- chris

Chris Uppal

RedGrittyBrick said:
Googling for jogl reveals

https://jogl-demos.dev.java.net/applettest.html

"The new JOGL Applet Launcher enables the creation and deployment of
applets using 3D graphics via OpenGL without requiring the applet to be
signed or performing any manual installation of software on users'
computers. It has been tested and should work on any OS/CPU combination
supported by JOGL with a Java Runtime Environment version 1.4.2 or later
installed into the web browser. Here is an example of the standard Gears
demo running as an applet:"

Interesting.

For me, what seems to happen is that the applet displays the usual
applet-loading screen, while it downloads something (presumably the JOGL DLL,
since it takes ages), and /then/ puts up a "do you want to trust XXX?" popup --
which I refuse (naturally). The applet then closes down.

Ideally, I would get the trust prompt /before/ (or at least while) the long
download was happening.

I haven't yet looked to see if the DLL is still in any sort of cache anywhere
on my system (I hope not).

I would like to know what the security architecture is here. Presumably it's
something like
jogl itself can be downloaded (if I accept it)
if it /has/ been downloaded then unsigned applets can use it.
If so, then I'm pretty unhappy about it. Makes a mockery of having a security
architecture at all.

-- chris