    using no special libraries etc. Would some kind person please supply one.
    I can write JOGL non applet programs.
    Ivan
    ivan danicic, Feb 15, 2007

  2. On Feb 15, 10:56 pm, ivan danicic <> wrote:
    > Hello All, in order to write an applet
    > using JOGL I need a *SIMPLE* example

    If you want 'simple', deploy using web start.

    > using no special libraries etc.

    You want a 'rabbit out of the hat' with that?

    >..Would some kind person please supply one.

    What is your budget for this example?

    Andrew T.
    Andrew Thompson, Feb 15, 2007

  3. ivan danicic

    Chris Uppal Guest

    Andrew Thompson wrote:
    > On Feb 15, 10:56 pm, ivan danicic <> wrote:
    > > Hello All, in order to write an applet
    > > using JOGL I need a *SIMPLE* example

    > If you want 'simple', deploy using web start.
    >
    > > using no special libraries etc.

    > You want a 'rabbit out of the hat' with that?
    >
    > > ..Would some kind person please supply one.

    > What is your budget for this example?

    Andrew, I think you have misinterpreted the tone of the OP's request.

    To the OP: but Andrew's advice to forget applets and use webstart for this is
    almost certainly correct. Personally I don't know much about JOGL (except that
    it runs very badly on my machine), but it /needs/ add-on libraries and I don't
    think that is (or should be) possible for an applet[*].

    ([*] maybe if it's signed ? But then you are definitely not talking
    'simple'...)

    -- chris
    Chris Uppal, Feb 15, 2007
  4. ivan danicic

    ivan danicic Guest

    Andrew Thompson wrote:

    > On Feb 15, 10:56 pm, ivan danicic <> wrote:
    >> Hello All, in order to write an applet
    >> using JOGL I need a *SIMPLE* example

    > If you want 'simple', deploy using web start.
    >
    >> using no special libraries etc.

    > You want a 'rabbit out of the hat' with that?
    >
    >>..Would some kind person please supply one.

    > What is your budget for this example?
    >
    > Andrew T.

    Hello, No rabbit, no budget, just want a polite reply.
    Ivan
    ivan danicic, Feb 15, 2007
  5. On Feb 16, 5:29 am, "Chris Uppal" <-
    THIS.org> wrote:

    > ...Personally I don't know much about JOGL (except that
    > it runs very badly on my machine), but it /needs/ add-on libraries and I don't
    > think that is (or should be) possible for an applet[*].

    I managed to get JOGL running as an applet,
    only after the JOGL binaries were installed,
    and then only once each browser session.

    The problem seemed to be that JOGL was
    calling functionality that is not available
    to applets (System.exit() AFAIR), failing,
    and failing to clean up after itself.

    Further JOGL applets (or the same page
    refreshed) would have the applet fail
    to start.

    > ([*] maybe if it's signed ? But then you are definitely not talking
    > 'simple'...)

    I tried supplying the classes and
    natives to the applet, could not get
    it to work, signed or otherwise.

    OTOH - a web start launch is simplicity
    itself. The JOGL libs. are available
    as a JWS <component-descriptor> that
    the developer can simply link to from
    within their own JNLP.

    Andrew T.
    Andrew Thompson, Feb 15, 2007
  6. ivan danicic

    ivan danicic Guest

    Andrew Thompson wrote:

    > On Feb 16, 5:29 am, "Chris Uppal" <-
    > THIS.org> wrote:
    >
    >> ...Personally I don't know much about JOGL (except that
    >> it runs very badly on my machine), but it /needs/ add-on libraries and I
    >> don't think that is (or should be) possible for an applet[*].

    > I managed to get JOGL running as an applet,
    > only after the JOGL binaries were installed,
    > and then only once each browser session.
    >
    > The problem seemed to be that JOGL was
    > calling functionality that is not available
    > to applets (System.exit() AFAIR), failing,
    > and failing to clean up after itself.
    >
    > Further JOGL applets (or the same page
    > refreshed) would have the applet fail
    > to start.
    >
    >> ([*] maybe if it's signed ? But then you are definitely not talking
    >> 'simple'...)

    > I tried supplying the classes and
    > natives to the applet, could not get
    > it to work, signed or otherwise.
    >
    > OTOH - a web start launch is simplicity
    > itself. The JOGL libs. are available
    > as a JWS <component-descriptor> that
    > the developer can simply link to from
    > within their own JNLP.
    >
    > Andrew T.

    Hello, does that mean that if I have a JOGL "application" (containing a
    "main()") I can get this to run in my web page? What extra work needs to be
    done? Any comments gratefully received.
    Ivan
    ivan danicic, Feb 15, 2007
  7. On Feb 16, 8:16 am, ivan danicic <> wrote:

    > Hello, does that mean that if I have a JOGL "application" (containing a
    > "main()") I can get this to run in my web page?

    Nothing I was talking about works 'in'
    a web page. Web start launches a free
    floating frame or applet, but it can
    be launched using a JNLP (web start)
    file linked *from* a web page.

    E.G. <http://www.physci.org/jws/#jtest>

    >..What extra work needs to be
    > done?

    Web start can launch applets.

    > ..Any comments gratefully received.

    Even if they are not (what you would
    consider to be) 'polite'? ;-)

    Andrew T.
    Andrew Thompson, Feb 15, 2007
  8. ivan danicic wrote:
    > Hello All, in order to write an applet using JOGL I need a *SIMPLE* example
    > using no special libraries etc. Would some kind person please supply one.
    > I can write JOGL non applet programs.
    > Ivan

    Googling for jogl reveals

    https://jogl-demos.dev.java.net/applettest.html

    "The new JOGL Applet Launcher enables the creation and deployment of
    applets using 3D graphics via OpenGL without requiring the applet to be
    signed or performing any manual installation of software on users'
    computers. It has been tested and should work on any OS/CPU combination
    supported by JOGL with a Java Runtime Environment version 1.4.2 or later
    installed into the web browser. Here is an example of the standard Gears
    demo running as an applet:"

    Not knowing jogl I have no way of telling if what the page refers to
    meets your requirements of "simple" and "no special libraries" but the
    wording strongly suggests that this may be the case.
    RedGrittyBrick, Feb 15, 2007
  9. ivan danicic

    Alex Hunsley Guest

    Andrew Thompson wrote:
    > On Feb 16, 8:16 am, ivan danicic <> wrote:
    >
    >> Hello, does that mean that if I have a JOGL "application" (containing a
    >> "main()") I can get this to run in my web page?

    > Nothing I was talking about works 'in'
    > a web page. Web start launches a free
    > floating frame or applet, but it can
    > be launched using a JNLP (web start)
    > file linked *from* a web page.
    >
    > E.G. <http://www.physci.org/jws/#jtest>

    Interesting page, thanks. JNLP isn't widely enough known about/used,
    methinks.
    Are you the AndrewThompson64 user you mention on your webpage above? I'm
    just curious. Same name, but you talk about them in 3rd person, which
    looks like it isn't you....
    Alex Hunsley, Feb 15, 2007
  10. On Feb 16, 10:31 am, Alex Hunsley <> wrote:
    > Andrew Thompson wrote:
    > > On Feb 16, 8:16 am, ivan danicic <> wrote:

    > > E.G. <http://www.physci.org/jws/#jtest>

    > Interesting page, thanks.

    You're welcome.

    >..JNLP isn't widely enough known about/used,
    > methinks.

    I will continue to do my bit to promote
    this wonderful deployment technology, from
    suggesting it every time I here the word
    'applet' or any application deployment
    suited to JWS, to putting up complete
    examples of use of web start and the JNLP
    API.

    > Are you the AndrewThompson64 user you mention on your webpage above?

    Yes. I would link to my posts on usenet,
    but those Sun posts are generally more
    specific to web start.

    >..I'm
    > just curious. Same name, but you talk about them in 3rd person, which
    > looks like it isn't you....

    umm.. had not realised. I was probably
    just trying to get away from my excessive
    use of the word 'I'. ;-)

    Andrew T.
    Andrew Thompson, Feb 16, 2007
  11. ivan danicic

    Mark Space Guest

    ivan danicic wrote:
    > Hello, does that mean that if I have a JOGL "application" (containing a
    > "main()") I can get this to run in my web page?

    I think Andrew was trying to say "No", it doesn't work. At all.

    > What extra work needs to be
    > done? Any comments gratefully received.
    > Ivan

    From Andrew's description in the previous port, it sounds like JOGL has
    serious flaws as a applet. You'd have to do some serious debugging (and
    code fixing) in the JOGL library itself.
    Mark Space, Feb 16, 2007
  12. On Feb 16, 1:25 pm, Mark Space <> wrote:
    > ivan danicic wrote:

    > > What extra work needs to be done?

    > From Andrew's description in the previous port, it sounds like JOGL has
    > serious flaws as a applet. You'd have to do some serious debugging (and
    > code fixing) in the JOGL library itself.

    Perhaps not, I was unaware of the changes
    mentioned by RGB (to be honest - it had
    been more than a year since I had carefully
    looked at JOGL).

    Andrew T.
    Andrew Thompson, Feb 16, 2007
  13. ivan danicic

    Ian Wilson Guest

    Alex Hunsley wrote:
    > Andrew Thompson wrote:

    <Andrew mentions JWS>

    > Interesting page, thanks. JNLP isn't widely enough known about/used,
    > methinks.

    Really? Sometimes it seems to me that fully half of Andrews postings
    tell folk how JWS is the solution to their problem. I find this frequent
    advocacy of JWS rather hard to miss.

    (the other half of Andrew's postings are admonishing spammers)

    (I wouldn't be at all surprised if some postings do both :)
    Ian Wilson, Feb 16, 2007
  14. On Feb 16, 8:54 pm, Ian Wilson <> wrote:
    > Alex Hunsley wrote:
    > > Andrew Thompson wrote:

    > <Andrew mentions JWS>
    >
    > > Interesting page, thanks. JNLP isn't widely enough known about/used,
    > > methinks.

    > Really? Sometimes it seems to me that fully half of Andrews postings
    > tell folk how JWS is the solution to their problem. I find this frequent
    > advocacy of JWS rather hard to miss.

    I must admit, I am still not entirely
    sure that Lex was not simply 'taking
    the piss'*.

    * Is that an expression known anywhere
    outside Australia? TTP -> making fun
    of a person/people.

    Andrew T.
    Andrew Thompson, Feb 16, 2007
  15. ivan danicic

    Alex Hunsley Guest

    Andrew Thompson wrote:
    > On Feb 16, 8:54 pm, Ian Wilson <> wrote:
    >> Alex Hunsley wrote:
    >>> Andrew Thompson wrote:

    >> <Andrew mentions JWS>
    >>
    >>> Interesting page, thanks. JNLP isn't widely enough known about/used,
    >>> methinks.

    >> Really? Sometimes it seems to me that fully half of Andrews postings
    >> tell folk how JWS is the solution to their problem. I find this frequent
    >> advocacy of JWS rather hard to miss.

    > I must admit, I am still not entirely
    > sure that Lex was not simply 'taking
    > the piss'*.

    Nope, I wasn't extracting the pee-pee - I meant what I wrote.
    When I said "JNLP isn't widely enough known about/used, methinks", I
    meant it in a general way, and not in the context of myself, or even
    this newsgroup... it's not like I've just found out about JNLP, but I've
    not looked at it much before, either.
    lex
    Alex Hunsley, Feb 16, 2007
  16. ivan danicic

    ivan danicic Guest

    Andrew Thompson wrote:

    > On Feb 16, 10:31 am, Alex Hunsley <> wrote:
    >> Andrew Thompson wrote:
    >> > On Feb 16, 8:16 am, ivan danicic <> wrote:

    >> > E.G. <http://www.physci.org/jws/#jtest>

    >> Interesting page, thanks.

    > You're welcome.
    >
    >>..JNLP isn't widely enough known about/used,
    >> methinks.

    > I will continue to do my bit to promote
    > this wonderful deployment technology, from
    > suggesting it every time I here the word
    > 'applet' or any application deployment
    > suited to JWS, to putting up complete
    > examples of use of web start and the JNLP
    > API.
    >
    >> Are you the AndrewThompson64 user you mention on your webpage above?

    > Yes. I would link to my posts on usenet,
    > but those Sun posts are generally more
    > specific to web start.
    >
    >>..I'm
    >> just curious. Same name, but you talk about them in 3rd person, which
    >> looks like it isn't you....

    > umm.. had not realised. I was probably
    > just trying to get away from my excessive
    > use of the word 'I'. ;-)
    >
    > Andrew T.

    Hello all, I still have not got an answer to my previous question: if I want
    to put a java application onto my web page (for all to run) using web start
    what do I need to do? Obviously this would be wonderful as I wouldn't have
    to convert the application to an applet first.
    Ivan
    ivan danicic, Feb 16, 2007
  17. ivan danicic wrote:
    > Hello all, I still have not got an answer to my previous question: if I want
    > to put a java application onto my web page (for all to run) using web start
    > what do I need to do? Obviously this would be wonderful as I wouldn't have
    > to convert the application to an applet first.

    You'd have to create a jnlp-file.

    And please refrain from full-posting in the future since the reader
    expects to get something from you to read and not to waste time for
    searching your response.

    Bye
    Michael
    Michael Rauscher, Feb 16, 2007
  18. On Feb 16, 11:43 pm, Michael Rauscher <> wrote:
    > ivan danicic wrote:
    > > Hello all, I still have not got an answer to my previous question: if I want
    > > to put a java application onto my web page (for all to run) using web start
    > > what do I need to do?

    I partly misread your earlier question..

    > >..Obviously this would be wonderful as I wouldn't have
    > > to convert the application to an applet first.

    Aha! I thought you were talking about
    converting an applet, and I wanted to get
    that sorted first. OK..

    > You'd have to create a jnlp-file.

    Yep.

    Now I know you are 'on board' with the
    idea of launching via JWS, I hunted down
    the relevant info. on my javasaver site..

    Here is an example lauch file..
    <http://www.javasaver.com/testjs/jws/04/glclock.jnlp>

    The content of that JNLP file is..
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <jnlp spec="1.0"
    codebase="http://www.javasaver.com/testjs/jws/04/"
    href="glclock.jnlp">
    <information>
    <title>Preview - GLClock</title>
    <vendor>SaverBeans - JDIC</vendor>
    <description>Preview of the GLClock SaverBeans Screensaver</
    description>
    <description kind='tooltip'>GLClock Preview</description>
    <icon kind="splash" href="sb-jws-splash.gif" width="450"
    height="250" size="16075" />
    <icon href="smallbean-32x32.gif" width="32" height="32"
    size="1044" />
    <offline-allowed/>
    <shortcut online="false">
    <!-- create desktop shortcut -->
    <desktop/>
    <menu submenu="SaverBeans Screensaver"/>
    </shortcut>
    </information>
    <resources>
    <j2se href="http://java.sun.com/products/autodl/j2se"
    version="1.5+"/>
    <jar href="glclock.jar" size="4917"/>
    <jar href="saverbeans-api-dev.jar" main="true" />
    <jar href="other.zip" size="4246" />
    <extension name="jogl" href="https://jogl.dev.java.net/webstart/
    jogl.jnlp" />
    <property name="jnlp.saverName" value="GLClock"/>
    <property name="jnlp.config" value="/glclock.xml"/>
    </resources>

    <application-desc main-
    class="org.jdesktop.jdic.screensaver.ScreensaverFrame">
    <argument>org.jdesktop.jdic.screensaver.clock.GLClock</argument>
    </application-desc>
    </jnlp>

    Most of the resource mentioned there can
    be seen in the directory listing for ..
    <http://www.javasaver.com/testjs/jws/04/>
    ...they proabably amount to around 100Kb,
    but the bulk of it is coming straight off
    the JOGL area of the JDIC site.

    Ironically, amongst all the fluff from
    my site (icons and such) the smallest part
    is probably the actual screensaver jar
    that all this is meant to display. The
    gjclock.jar is less than 5Kb.

    Note there were some package changes last
    year(?) to the JOGL api., and I suspect
    they must have provided a new URL for
    the repackaged classes, check the JOGL/JDIC
    site for latest information.

    HTH

    Andrew T.
    Andrew Thompson, Feb 16, 2007
  19. ivan danicic

    Chris Uppal Guest

    Andrew Thompson wrote:

    > I must admit, I am still not entirely
    > sure that Lex was not simply 'taking
    > the piss'*.
    >
    > * Is that an expression known anywhere
    > outside Australia? TTP -> making fun
    > of a person/people.

    Most definitely known here in the UK.

    -- chris
    Chris Uppal, Feb 16, 2007
  20. ivan danicic

    Chris Uppal Guest

    RedGrittyBrick wrote:

    > Googling for jogl reveals
    >
    > https://jogl-demos.dev.java.net/applettest.html
    >
    > "The new JOGL Applet Launcher enables the creation and deployment of
    > applets using 3D graphics via OpenGL without requiring the applet to be
    > signed or performing any manual installation of software on users'
    > computers. It has been tested and should work on any OS/CPU combination
    > supported by JOGL with a Java Runtime Environment version 1.4.2 or later
    > installed into the web browser. Here is an example of the standard Gears
    > demo running as an applet:"

    Interesting.

    For me, what seems to happen is that the applet displays the usual
    applet-loading screen, while it downloads something (presumably the JOGL DLL,
    since it takes ages), and /then/ puts up a "do you want to trust XXX?" popup --
    which I refuse (naturally). The applet then closes down.

    Ideally, I would get the trust prompt /before/ (or at least while) the long
    download was happening.

    I haven't yet looked to see if the DLL is still in any sort of cache anywhere
    on my system (I hope not).

    I would like to know what the security architecture is here. Presumably it's
    something like
    jogl itself can be downloaded (if I accept it)
    if it /has/ been downloaded then unsigned applets can use it.
    If so, then I'm pretty unhappy about it. Makes a mockery of having a security
    architecture at all.

    -- chris
    Chris Uppal, Feb 16, 2007