Join July Global Python meetings via VOIP - Free SW HW Culture Mtgs -BerkeleyTIP

Discussion in 'Python' started by giovanni_re, Jul 3, 2010.

  1. giovanni_re

    giovanni_re Guest

    Watch some videos. Mark your calendar. Invite your friends.
    Join in on IRC or Voice. Join the mailing list, say "Hi. :)"

    ===== 1) 2010.7 Videos:
    Building the Python Community, Steve Holden, PyCon 2010
    How Python, TurboGears, and MongoDB are Transforming SourceForge.net,
    Rick Copeland, PyCon
    Introducing Numpy Arrays, unpingco

    Motorola Droid Metro PCS Apps, makeitcricket.com
    How to write VOIP client in less then 2 minutes, rpdammu
    Open Wonderland virtual worlds platform, Nicole Yankelovich, iED
    How to Succeed in Mobile, Girl Geek Dinner, Kris Corzine
    Using KDE Marble to research your next vacation, Justin Kirby
    Schizophrenic Firewalls - virtualized net stack OpenBSD, Claudio Jeker
    Meet Google Founder Larry Page, Google Faculty Summit 2009

    http://sites.google.com/site/berkeleytip/talk-videos/2010-7-videos

    == July Meetings - Mark your calendar:
    3 Sat 12N-3P PST = 3-6P EST = 19-22 UTC
    12 Mon 5 -6P PST = 8-9P EST = 0- 1 UTC Tues 13
    18 Sun 12N-3P PST = 3-6P EST = 19-22 UTC
    27 Tue 5 -6P PST = 8-9P EST = 0- 1 UTC Wed 28

    =====
    You're invited to join in with the friendly people at the BerkeleyTIP
    global meeting - newbie to Ph.D. - everyone is invited.

    Get a headset & join using VOIP online, or come to Berkeley.

    1st step: Join the mailing list:
    http://groups.google.com/group/BerkTIPGlobal

    Watch the videos. Discuss them on VOIP.
    10 great videos/talks this month.

    Join with us at the Golden Bear Cafe, Upper Sproul Plaza, UCB
    at the University of California at Berkeley,
    or join from your home via VOIP,
    or send this email locally, create a local meeting, & join via VOIP:
    Tip: a wifi cafe is a great place to meet. :)

    PLEASE VIEW THE BTIP WEBSITE & MAILING LIST FOR LATEST DETIALS.
    http://sites.google.com/site/berkeleytip

    BerkeleyTIP - Educational, Productive, Social
    For Learning about, Sharing, & Producing, All Free SW HW & Culture.
    TIP == Talks, Installfest, Project & Programming Party

    ===== CONTENTS: 1) 2010 JULY VIDEOS; 2) 2010 JULY MEETING DAYS,
    TIMES, LOCATIONS; 3) LOCAL MEETING AT U. C. Berkeley;
    4) HOT TOPICS; 5) PLEASE RSVP PROBABILISTICALLY, THANKS :) ;
    6) INSTALLFEST; 7) ARRIVING FIRST AT THE MEETING: MAKE A
    "BerkeleyTIP" SIGN; 8) IRC: #berkeleytip on irc.freenode.net; 9) VOIP
    FOR GLOBAL MEETING; 10) VOLUNTEERING, TO DOs; 11) MAILING LISTS:
    BerkeleyTIP-Global, LocalBerkeley, Announce; 12) ANYTHING I FORGOT TO
    MENTION?; 13) FOR FORWARDING

    ===== 1) - See videos list at top of this email.
    Thanks to all the speakers, organizations, & videographers. :)
    [Please alert the speakers that their talks are scheduled for
    BTIP (if you are with the group that recorded their talk), because I may
    not have time to do that. Thanks. :) ]

    Download & watch these talks before the BTIP meetings. Discuss at the
    meeting.

    Email the mailing list, tell us what videos you'll watch & want to
    discuss.

    Know any other video sources? - please email me.

    _Your_ group should video record & post online your meeting's talks!

    ===== 2) 2010 JULY MEETING DAYS, TIMES, LOCATIONS
    http://sites.google.com/site/berkeleytip/schedule
    http://sites.google.com/site/berkeleytip/directions

    In person meetings on 1st Saturday & 3rd Sunday, every month.
    July 3 & 18, 12N-3P USA-Pacific time, Saturday, Sunday
    July 3 = Golden Bear Cafe, Upper Sproul Plaza, UCB
    July 18 = Free Speech Cafe, Moffitt Library, UCB

    Online only meeting using VOIP - 9 days after weekend meetings:
    July 12 & 27, 5-6P USA-Pacific time, Monday, Tuesday

    Mark your calendars.

    ===== 3) LOCAL MEETING AT U. C. BERKELEY
    http://sites.google.com/site/berkeleytip/directions

    RSVP please. See below. It greatly helps my planning. But, _do_ come
    if you forgot to RSVP.

    ALWAYS BE SURE TO CHECK THE BTIP WEBSITE _&_ MAILING LIST FOR THE LATEST
    LAST MINUTE DETAILS & CHANGES, BEFORE COMING TO THE MEETING! :)

    DO BRING A VOIP HEADSET, available for $10-30 at most electronics retail
    stores, & a laptop computer, so you are able to communicate with the
    global BTIP community via VOIP. It is highly recommended that you have
    a voip headset, & not rely on a laptop's built in microphone & speakers,
    because the headphones keep the noise level down. Bringing a headset is
    not required, but is a great part of the being able to communicate with
    the global community. :)

    Clothing: Typically 55-80 degrees F. Weather:
    http://www.wunderground.com/auto/sfgate/CA/Berkeley.html

    Other location local meeting possibilities:
    http://sites.google.com/site/berkeleytip/local-meetings
    Create a local meeting in your town. Invite your friends. :)

    ===== 4) HOT TOPICS
    Android phones - Besting iPhone? worthwhile? How knowable is the hw?
    iPad, iPhone4 & iPod- rooting & running GNU(Linux)
    Skype for group video conferencing?
    Open Wonderland virtual worlds platform

    ===== 5) PLEASE RSVP PROBABILISTICALLY, THANKS :)
    If you think there is a >70% chance ("likely") you'll come to the in
    person meeting in Berkeley, please RSVP to me. Thanks. It helps my
    planning. Please _do_ come even if you haven't RSVP'd, it's not
    required.

    Better yet, join the BerkeleyTIP-Global mailing list, send the RSVP
    there, & tell us what things you're interested in, or what videos you'll
    try to watch - so we can know what videos are popular, & we might watch
    them too. :)
    http://groups.google.com/group/BerkTIPGlobal

    ===== 6) INSTALLFEST
    Get help installing & using Free Software, Hardware & Culture.
    Laptops only, typically. There isn't easy access for physically
    bringing desktop boxes here.

    RSVP _HIGHLY RECOMMENDED_ if you want installfest help. Please RSVP to
    me, Giovanni, at the from address for this announcement, or better, join
    & send email to the BTIP-Global mailing list telling us what you'd like
    help with. This way we can be better prepared to help you, & you might
    get valuable advice from the mailing list members.

    If you are new to using free software, an excellent system would be the
    KUbuntu GNU(Linux) software. It is very comprehensive, fairly easy to
    use (similar to Windows or Mac), & suitable for personal, home,
    university, or business use.

    We are also glad to try to help people with software who join via VOIP.
    Please email the mailing list with requests that you want help with, so
    we can try to be prepared better to help you.

    Installfest volunteers/helpers always welcome, in person, or via VOIP.
    :)

    ===== 7) ARRIVING FIRST AT THE MEETING: MAKE A "BerkeleyTIP" SIGN
    If you get to the meeting & don't see a "BerkeleyTIP" sign up yet,
    please:
    1) Make a BTIP sign on an 8x11 paper & put it at your table,
    2) Email the mailing list, or join on IRC, & let us know you are there.

    Ask someone if you could use their computer for a minute to look
    something up, or send an email. People are usually very friendly &
    willing to help. We can also email you a temporary guest AirBears
    account login.

    We will have wifi guest accounts available for BTIP attendees. Be sure
    you have wifi capable equipment. Be Prepared: Bring a multi-outlet
    extension power cord.

    ===== 8) IRC: #berkeleytip on irc.freenode.net
    For help with anything, especially how to get VOIP working, & text
    communication.

    ===== 9) VOIP FOR GLOBAL MEETING
    Speak & listen to everyone globally using VOIP.
    Get a headset! See some VOIP instructions here:
    http://sites.google.com/site/berkeleytip/voice-voip-conferencing

    ===== 10) VOLUNTEERING, TO DOs
    Enjoy doing or learning something(s)? Help out BTIP in that area.
    Website development, mailing list management, video locating, VOIP
    server (FreeSwitch, Asterisk) or client (Ekiga, SFLPhone,...), creating
    a local meeting. Join the mailing list & let us know. Your offers of
    free help are always welcome here. :)

    Everyone should join the BerkeleyTIP-Global list:
    http://groups.google.com/group/BerkTIPGlobal
    Say "hi", tell us your interests, & what videos you'll like to watch.

    Info on all lists here:

    ===== 12) ANYTHING I FORGOT TO MENTION?
    Please join & email the BerkeleyTIP-Global mailing list.

    ===== 13) FOR FORWARDING
    You are invited to forward this message anywhere it would be
    appreciated.
    Better yet, use it to create a local meeting. Invite & get together
    with your friends locally, & join in with us all globally. :)

    Looking forward to meeting with you in person, or online. :)

    Giovanni

    == Join in the Global weekly meetings, via VOIP, about all Free SW HW & Culture

    giovanni_re, Jul 3, 2010