    the image in Java Swing Components ?
    If there is a difference in image quality, how can I measure it, are
    there any tools or should I write a routine?

    Biswa Prakash, Oct 17, 2006

  2. Biswa Prakash wrote:
    > Will there be loss of quality(resolution / sharpness etc) of any jpeg
    > image when I am rendering the image in JLabel and displaying it over a
    > JPanel ?

    What did your (visual) tests indicate?
    Does any one look better than any of the others?

    > Is there be any difference in quality when the image is rendered in a
    > web browser (like Internet Explorer or Firefox) compared to rendering
    > the image in Java Swing Components ?

    Probably not, given IE will offer to 'resize' any image
    it loads directly, and what resizing algorithm it uses
    is anybody's guess.

    But we come back to. What did *your* tests show?

    > If there is a difference in image quality, how can I measure it,

    Possibly subracting ione image from the other might
    highlight differences. Get a Robot to get a screengrab
    of the image(s) in the various UI's of interest. Line up
    the relevant parts of the image and do a... (what is it)
    AlphaComposite filter that is (gets very vague)..right
    for subtracting one image from another.

    >...are there any tools or should I write a routine?

    Probably 'b' write a routine - I doubt you'll find any tools.

    Andrew T.

    Andrew Thompson, Oct 17, 2006

  3. Thanks for the response. As far as visual test is concerned, I didn't
    see any difference. I agree IE resizes the images, but my application
    will not resize images, so this scenario is out of question.

    Biswa Prakash, Oct 17, 2006