    doesnt. This is just in IE, Opera works fine. Any clues here?

    Thanks

    Kevin
    kev, Sep 15, 2003

  2. In article <>,
    says...
    > Hi
    > I am redoing a site for someone, original author did use FP, but I am
    > redoing it in DW.
    > However, on this page :
    > http://homepage.ntlworld.com/sparrow/uwb/atoz.htm
    > my pic of images/pansy.jpg seems to occasionally load, othertime\ it
    > doesnt. This is just in IE, Opera works fine. Any clues here?

    Forget the image, that page is bloody awful - it's 27 screen long at
    1024x768. Split it up in to several pages, for God's sake.

    For me, the pansy always loaded. (Moz Firebird 0.6.1.)

    --
    Hywel I do not eat quiche
    http://hyweljenkins.co.uk/
    Hywel Jenkins, Sep 15, 2003

  3. kev

    Richard Guest

    kev wrote:>>

    > Hi
    > I am redoing a site for someone, original author did use FP, but I am
    > redoing it in DW.
    > However, on this page :
    > http://homepage.ntlworld.com/sparrow/uwb/atoz.htm
    > my pic of images/pansy.jpg seems to occasionally load, othertime\ it
    > doesnt. This is just in IE, Opera works fine. Any clues here?

    > Thanks

    > Kevin

    With that much BS all on one page, you should try using two side by tables
    or <div>.
    Using a word list on the left, then using layers for calling up what to
    display on the right.
    Much to long of a page.
    Richard, Sep 16, 2003
  4. kev

    kev Guest

    On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 18:42:30 -0500, "Richard" <anom@anom> wrote:

    >kev wrote:>>
    >
    > > Hi
    > > I am redoing a site for someone, original author did use FP, but I am
    > > redoing it in DW.
    > > However, on this page :
    > > http://homepage.ntlworld.com/sparrow/uwb/atoz.htm
    > > my pic of images/pansy.jpg seems to occasionally load, othertime\ it
    > > doesnt. This is just in IE, Opera works fine. Any clues here?

    > > Thanks

    > > Kevin

    >With that much BS all on one page, you should try using two side by tables
    >or <div>.
    >Using a word list on the left, then using layers for calling up what to
    >display on the right.
    >Much to long of a page.

    Hi
    How would I use layers to do this? Can you briefly explain how I would
    link them into a table? Yes, I have never used layers before.
    Links/help appreciated, thanks

    Kevin
    kev, Sep 16, 2003
  5. kev

    rf Guest

    "kev" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 18:42:30 -0500, "Richard" <anom@anom> wrote:
    >
    > >kev wrote:>>
    > >
    > > > http://homepage.ntlworld.com/sparrow/uwb/atoz.htm

    > >With that much BS all on one page, you should try using two side by

    tables

    Nope.

    > >or <div>.

    Better.

    > >Using a word list on the left, then using layers for calling up what to
    > >display on the right.

    > How would I use layers to do this? Can you briefly explain how I would
    > link them into a table? Yes, I have never used layers before.
    > Links/help appreciated, thanks

    The other Richard is using a term invented by Macromedia IIRC. Layers really
    means div's whose visibility is turned on/off via javascript.

    This means putting a list of letters (the alphabet or your a-z) down the
    left of the page in a float: left; div. Then the content for each letter
    goes in a sperate, initially invisible div, absolutely positioned to the
    right of the alphabet div.

    Hook the onclick event for each letter link and cause the corresponding
    content div to be visible (and all the others to be invisible). I assume
    Dreamweaver (never used it) can do this for you. Of course it won't work
    when javascript is disabled.

    Much better is to use Hywel's suggestion. Split the page up into many, one
    for each letter, along the lines of Matt Probert's slang site:
    http://www.probertencyclopaedia.com/slang.htm

    However, reproduce the alphabet links on each page, probably utilizing some
    server side stuff like SSI or PHP, sort of like what google does with the
    'pages' of hits, you know, at the bottom of the page: "results page 1 2 3 4
    5 next".

    BTW the missing pansies could be the bug in some versions of IE where it
    only displays the first occurrance of an identically named jpeg. Try
    converting the pansy to a GIF and see what happens.

    Cheers
    Richard.
    rf, Sep 16, 2003
  6. kev

    kev Guest

    On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 11:01:41 GMT, "rf" <> wrote:

    >"kev" <> wrote in message

    >> >With that much BS all on one page, you should try using two side by

    >tables
    >
    >Nope.
    >
    >> >or <div>.

    >Better.
    >
    >> >Using a word list on the left, then using layers for calling up what to
    >> >display on the right.

    >> How would I use layers to do this? Can you briefly explain how I would
    >> link them into a table? Yes, I have never used layers before.
    >> Links/help appreciated, thanks

    >The other Richard is using a term invented by Macromedia IIRC. Layers really
    >means div's whose visibility is turned on/off via javascript.
    >
    >This means putting a list of letters (the alphabet or your a-z) down the
    >left of the page in a float: left; div. Then the content for each letter
    >goes in a sperate, initially invisible div, absolutely positioned to the
    >right of the alphabet div.
    >
    >Hook the onclick event for each letter link and cause the corresponding
    >content div to be visible (and all the others to be invisible). I assume
    >Dreamweaver (never used it) can do this for you. Of course it won't work
    >when javascript is disabled.
    >
    >Much better is to use Hywel's suggestion. Split the page up into many, one
    >for each letter, along the lines of Matt Probert's slang site:
    >http://www.probertencyclopaedia.com/slang.htm
    >
    >However, reproduce the alphabet links on each page, probably utilizing some
    >server side stuff like SSI or PHP, sort of like what google does with the
    >'pages' of hits, you know, at the bottom of the page: "results page 1 2 3 4
    >5 next".
    >
    >BTW the missing pansies could be the bug in some versions of IE where it
    >only displays the first occurrance of an identically named jpeg. Try
    >converting the pansy to a GIF and see what happens.
    >
    >Cheers
    >Richard.

    Well, I have spent most of the day learning 'layers', and yes DW does
    do them. Corresponding examples are here:
    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/sparrow/uwb/stoz.htm
    I also split the atoz.htm page up into alphabetical sections as
    suggested.

    Doesnt matter now anyway, as the shop no longer requires my services
    (after doing all the redesign...the original site is at
    www.uskwellbeing.co.uk and it still looks bad...c'est la vie).

    At least I learnt something out of it.

    kev, Sep 16, 2003