JPG or PNG?

Leif K-Brooks

Luigi said:
Is it better to use PNG instead of JPG/JPEG and why?

It depends what kind of image you have. If it's a diagram or cartoon --
that is, something with areas of entirely solid color -- then PNG is the
best format. If it's a photo or something else with lots of smooth color
changes, JPEG is better.

GIF is good for the same kind of image as PNG, but PNG should always be
used instead because PNGs are smaller and unpatented.

jake

Leif K-Brooks said:
It depends what kind of image you have. If it's a diagram or cartoon --
that is, something with areas of entirely solid color -- then PNG is
the best format. If it's a photo or something else with lots of smooth
color changes, JPEG is better.

GIF is good for the same kind of image as PNG, but PNG should always be
used instead because PNGs are smaller and unpatented.

The gif patent expired earlier this year.

regards.

Leif K-Brooks

jake said:
The gif patent expired earlier this year.

IBM still has a patent on LZW, even though they're unlikely to use it.
But GIF's an inferior format for other reasons, so it's a moot point.

The Doormouse

Sam Hughes said:

PNG duplicates and crosses over more popular and more widespread image
formats. For that reason, it is easily ignored. The obscure will never
replace the ubiquitous without compelling reason, of which there are none.

The Doormouse

The Doormouse

Leif K-Brooks said:
I really, really hope you're joking.

PNG is dead. PNG support exists in major browsers and graphics applications
as a token. It's a "why not?" graphics format that could be forgotten, and
no one would care.

The Doormouse

The Doormouse

Leif K-Brooks said:
IBM still has a patent on LZW, even though they're unlikely to use it.
But GIF's an inferior format for other reasons, so it's a moot point.

Does PNG have animation capabilities?

:)

Yes - or, heehee, "NO"?

The Doormouse

Leif K-Brooks

The said:
PNG is dead. PNG support exists in major browsers and graphics applications
as a token. It's a "why not?" graphics format that could be forgotten, and
no one would care.

PNG features supported in every major application:
* Indexed images, including transparency.
* True-color images (not supported by GIF).
* Smaller file size.
Kewl PNG features not widely supported:
* Animation (via MNG or APNG).
* Alpha blending.

Widely supported GIF features:
* Indexed images, including transparency.
* Animation.

Therefor, unless you need animation (you shouldn't), there's no real
reason to use GIF over PNG. And even if you don't care about true-color
images, the smaller file size is pretty important.

rf

The Doormouse
JPG. PNG is a dead format.

Hmmm.

Jpg is a lossy format. What you put in is not what you get back.

Png and gif are not lossy This makes both formats ideal for things like line
drawings etc. Ever made a line drawn cartoon into a jpg?

And if I want more than 256 colours in my cartoon (possible)? Png is the
only way.

You need to seriously rethink your graphics skills :)

The Doormouse

Leif K-Brooks said:
Therefor, unless you need animation (you shouldn't), there's no real
reason to use GIF over PNG

I have alternatives for all of those features.

The basic problem is that there is no compelling reason to switch to this
format. I can work without it just fine.

The Doormouse

The Doormouse

rf said:
Jpg is a lossy format. What you put in is not what you get back.

The loss is often unnoticeable, and the file size benefits are wonderful.
Png and gif are not lossy This makes both formats ideal for things
like line drawings etc. Ever made a line drawn cartoon into a jpg?

When I have SWF and SVG available?
And if I want more than 256 colours in my cartoon (possible)? Png is
the only way.

SWF and SVG are better choices for line art.

The Doormouse