JPG or PNG?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Luigi Donatello Asero, Sep 3, 2004.

  1. Luigi Donatello Asero, Sep 3, 2004

  2. Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    > Is it better to use PNG instead of JPG/JPEG and why?

    It depends what kind of image you have. If it's a diagram or cartoon --
    that is, something with areas of entirely solid color -- then PNG is the
    best format. If it's a photo or something else with lots of smooth color
    changes, JPEG is better.

    GIF is good for the same kind of image as PNG, but PNG should always be
    used instead because PNGs are smaller and unpatented.

    Leif K-Brooks, Sep 3, 2004

  3. Luigi Donatello Asero

    jake Guest

    In message <>, Leif K-Brooks
    <> writes
    >Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    >> Is it better to use PNG instead of JPG/JPEG and why?

    >It depends what kind of image you have. If it's a diagram or cartoon --
    >that is, something with areas of entirely solid color -- then PNG is
    >the best format. If it's a photo or something else with lots of smooth
    >color changes, JPEG is better.
    >
    >GIF is good for the same kind of image as PNG, but PNG should always be
    >used instead because PNGs are smaller and unpatented.

    The gif patent expired earlier this year.

    regards.
    --
    Jake

    jake, Sep 3, 2004
  4. "jake" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > In message <>, Leif K-Brooks
    > <> writes
    > >Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    > >> Is it better to use PNG instead of JPG/JPEG and why?

    > >It depends what kind of image you have. If it's a diagram or cartoon --
    > >that is, something with areas of entirely solid color -- then PNG is
    > >the best format. If it's a photo or something else with lots of smooth
    > >color changes, JPEG is better.
    > >
    > >GIF is good for the same kind of image as PNG, but PNG should always be
    > >used instead because PNGs are smaller and unpatented.

    > The gif patent expired earlier this year.

    What does that imply?
    http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/struct/tables.html

    --
    Luigi ( un italiano che vive in Svezia)
    http://www.italymap.dk

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Sep 3, 2004
  5. "Luigi Donatello Asero" <> wrote:

    > Is it better to use PNG instead of JPG/JPEG and why?

    JPG. PNG is a dead format.

    The Doormouse

    The Doormouse, Sep 4, 2004
  6. Luigi Donatello Asero

    Sam Hughes Guest

    The Doormouse <> wrote in

    > "Luigi Donatello Asero" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Is it better to use PNG instead of JPG/JPEG and why?

    > JPG. PNG is a dead format.

    Why?

    Sam Hughes, Sep 4, 2004
  7. jake wrote:
    > The gif patent expired earlier this year.

    IBM still has a patent on LZW, even though they're unlikely to use it.
    But GIF's an inferior format for other reasons, so it's a moot point.

    Leif K-Brooks, Sep 4, 2004
  8. The Doormouse wrote:
    > JPG. PNG is a dead format.

    I really, really hope you're joking.

    Leif K-Brooks, Sep 4, 2004
  9. Sam Hughes <> wrote:

    >> JPG. PNG is a dead format.

    > Why?

    PNG duplicates and crosses over more popular and more widespread image
    formats. For that reason, it is easily ignored. The obscure will never
    replace the ubiquitous without compelling reason, of which there are none.

    The Doormouse

    The Doormouse, Sep 4, 2004
  10. Leif K-Brooks <> wrote:
    > I really, really hope you're joking.

    PNG is dead. PNG support exists in major browsers and graphics applications
    as a token. It's a "why not?" graphics format that could be forgotten, and
    no one would care.

    The Doormouse

    The Doormouse, Sep 4, 2004
  11. Leif K-Brooks <> wrote:

    > IBM still has a patent on LZW, even though they're unlikely to use it.
    > But GIF's an inferior format for other reasons, so it's a moot point.

    Does PNG have animation capabilities?

    :)

    Yes - or, heehee, "NO"?

    The Doormouse

    The Doormouse, Sep 4, 2004
  12. The Doormouse wrote:
    > Does PNG have animation capabilities?
    >
    > :)
    >
    > Yes - or, heehee, "NO"?

    Yes, unfortunately.

    Leif K-Brooks, Sep 4, 2004
  13. The Doormouse wrote:
    > PNG is dead. PNG support exists in major browsers and graphics applications
    > as a token. It's a "why not?" graphics format that could be forgotten, and
    > no one would care.

    PNG features supported in every major application:
    * Indexed images, including transparency.
    * True-color images (not supported by GIF).
    * Smaller file size.
    Kewl PNG features not widely supported:
    * Animation (via MNG or APNG).
    * Alpha blending.

    Widely supported GIF features:
    * Indexed images, including transparency.
    * Animation.

    Therefor, unless you need animation (you shouldn't), there's no real
    reason to use GIF over PNG. And even if you don't care about true-color
    images, the smaller file size is pretty important.

    Leif K-Brooks, Sep 4, 2004
  14. Luigi Donatello Asero

    Mitja Guest

    The Doormouse <>
    (news:Xns9559B50F2258Cdoormouseattnet@68.12.19.6) wrote:
    > "Luigi Donatello Asero" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Is it better to use PNG instead of JPG/JPEG and why?

    > JPG. PNG is a dead format.

    :)
    That's one of the best jokes I heard this year.

    Mitja, Sep 4, 2004
  15. Luigi Donatello Asero

    rf Guest

    The Doormouse

    > JPG. PNG is a dead format.

    Hmmm.

    Jpg is a lossy format. What you put in is not what you get back.

    Png and gif are not lossy This makes both formats ideal for things like line
    drawings etc. Ever made a line drawn cartoon into a jpg?

    And if I want more than 256 colours in my cartoon (possible)? Png is the
    only way.

    You need to seriously rethink your graphics skills :)

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Sep 4, 2004
  16. Luigi Donatello Asero

    WebcastMaker Guest

    In article <>, says...
    > The Doormouse wrote:
    > > Does PNG have animation capabilities?

    > Yes, unfortunately.

    Why is it unfortunate?
    --
    WebcastMaker
    Webcasting for free

    WebcastMaker, Sep 4, 2004
  17. On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 04:34:25 +0000, The Doormouse wrote:

    > Does PNG have animation capabilities?
    >
    > :)
    >
    > Yes - or, heehee, "NO"?

    Yes, you barking retard.

    --
    Jeffrey Silverman

    ** Drop "PANTS" to reply by email

    Jeffrey Silverman, Sep 4, 2004
  18. Leif K-Brooks <> wrote:

    > Therefor, unless you need animation (you shouldn't), there's no real
    > reason to use GIF over PNG

    I have alternatives for all of those features.

    The basic problem is that there is no compelling reason to switch to this
    format. I can work without it just fine.

    The Doormouse

    The Doormouse, Sep 4, 2004
  19. "rf" <rf@.invalid> wrote:

    > Jpg is a lossy format. What you put in is not what you get back.

    The loss is often unnoticeable, and the file size benefits are wonderful.

    > Png and gif are not lossy This makes both formats ideal for things
    > like line drawings etc. Ever made a line drawn cartoon into a jpg?

    When I have SWF and SVG available?

    > And if I want more than 256 colours in my cartoon (possible)? Png is
    > the only way.

    SWF and SVG are better choices for line art.

    The Doormouse

    The Doormouse, Sep 4, 2004
  20. Jeffrey Silverman <> wrote:

    > Yes, you barking retard.

    Not widely supported - you shrieking monkey.

    The Doormouse

    The Doormouse, Sep 4, 2004