JQuery problem with Javascript in head tag

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by John Morrill, Jun 28, 2010.

  1. John Morrill

    John Morrill Guest

    Greetings!

    When I create a simple page like this!

    <head>
    <title>Test</title>
    <script src="Scripts/jquery-1.4.1.min.js" type="text/javascript" />
    <script type="text/javascript">
    alert("From Head");
    </script>
    </head>
    <script type="text/javascript">
    alert("From Body");
    </script>

    Only the second alert is displayed. When I comment out the jquery library as
    shown below, both alerts are shown.

    <head>
    <title>Test</title>
    <!--
    <script src="Scripts/jquery-1.4.1.min.js" type="text/javascript" />
    -->
    <script type="text/javascript">
    alert("From Head");
    </script>
    </head>
    <script type="text/javascript">
    alert("From Body");
    </script>

    The jquery library is the one supply with VS2010. I am sure I am doing
    something obvious wrong, but I can not see it.

    Also, if this is not a forum that Microsoft engineers support, can some
    please let me know. I assume comming from the MSDN page, I got that right
    one. But in the past I made a mistake and keep wait for a reply.
    --
    Cheers!

    John
    John Morrill, Jun 28, 2010

  2. John Morrill

    John Morrill Guest

    Greetings All!

    I found the problem. I knew it was something weird. The corrent script tag
    is:
    <script src="Scripts/jquery-1.4.1.js" type="text/javascript"></script>

    not

    <script src="Scripts/jquery-1.4.1.js" type="text/javascript" />

    This is a strange idiosyncrasy which appears to confuse those of us that
    work a lot with XML. It appears that some XHTML tags should not be self
    closing even if they do not contain any text. I hope this will help someone
    else.

    For the Microsoft engineers, may I sugguest a change to Visual Studio to
    warn about this problem?

    Cheers!

    John

    --