jQuery Selectors Quiz - Test Your Knowledge

Garrett Smith

Agreed. Obviously the point of this is to highlight the failings of
jQuery, but doing it in such a "sarcastic" way is annoying. I'd like
to see a page that just lists what jQuery gets wrong, rather than
making me study a test and pick answers. I don't have time for that,
and I don't think most people who might actually benefit from the
knowledge will take the time to actually do it.

I got that you feel the quiz is sarcastic.

Perhaps I a simple explanation page instead that is more straightforward
would be easier to digest.

I was authoring the quiz making sure that the selectors in the questions
were simple and something of a common use case and that the example code
is very simple (9 lines of HTML only), so that most jQuery users would
be able to provide some answer.

I did not set out to write edge cases, but simply went with what jQuery
had tweeted about.

https://twitter.com/jquery/status/13674858690

| Some Good and Advanced jQuery Techniques - http://bit.ly/dli5EN

The jQuery-tweeted article espouses the use of img[width=600] to get
"All the images whose width is 600px" -- and it does that in a few
browsers, depending on the rendering mode and depending on the CSS but
when tested across all the browsers supported by jQuery, the results
vary widely. Moreover, matching "all elements whose width is 600px" is
not consistent with CSS3 Selectors.

I did not think that it would be annoying at all, but apparently I was
being inconsiderate to the reader.

I'll try and put together a write up highlighting the problems.

Garrett