jquery vs dojo vs yui etc

Joe Nine

Matt said:
A post like this in here is like throwing row meat into a tank of
piranhas.

Enjoy!

Matt Kruse

You weren't wrong. There are too many replies to respond to individually
so I'll do just one here.

Yes I searched and found no links to any convincing well presented
breakdown of what jQuery and dojo's major headline flaws are. I'll be
saving a copy of those listed in here by Garrett as a few arguments to
keep handy.

My main motivation to find a good (few) link(s) are twofold.

One, when turning down a job offer recently I made up various excuses
but I really wanted to add that part of the reason (not a huge part, but
a part) was that jQuery was playing a large role in their projects. I've
seen enough examples of code that's using jQuery on here to know that I
don't want to become a jQuery programmer - it's like it's own new
language with an ugly perl-like syntax. I guess it's one for the
programmers that prefer unix. I'm a windows guy myself and like "classic
syntax" languages. I guess that's why I've never got into complex
regular expressions either.

The other reason is that I overheard someone in my department saying
"perhaps we should use jQuery". I want to be ready with my arguments
against that when/if the time comes. Just being able to quote hearsay
from here won't cut it. Links to concise articles help.

Matěj Cepl

Dne 17.6.2010 09:10, Joe Nine napsal(a):
I guess it's one for the programmers that prefer unix.

Please, don't offend us (Linux|Unix) users. I don't see any relation
between using U*X and distaste for replacing one neatly designed
functional language with some horrible hack pretending to be one.

Matěj

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

David said:
Why would I do that?

So that you could think yourself into the position people you want to reach
and realize the difficulties they could have with your "go and search for
yourself" suggestion.
After all, I've seen them.

You miss the point.
It's odd as you just recently opined that such sloppy formatting as is
found in the reviewed code could hardly be pinned on me.

AISB, the issues I have are not primarily with the formatting of the
reviewed code in the reviews. It is with the formatting of the comments
(you) made about them in the context of those reviews.
As I'm sure you know, this group is echoed on numerous Websites other
than GG. A normal Google search can be used when GG's search feature
is going through one of its outages.

You are missing the point that you want something from your readers (to
think twice about using certain code). It is not logical to assume that
they would go to great lengths to find evidence for that.
Utter nonsense.

Hey, that's *my* line!
I've dissected jQuery so many times (here and
elsewhere) that complaints often arise over the repetition.

IMHO, complaints are directed more at the way of the review. Since you
cannot assume that previous reviews have been read, the trick is to not show
to the reader in a new review that it annoys you to have to write the same
thing again. After all, they are really not interested in learning *that*.
And the recent reviews of Dojo and Qooxdoo were as thorough as they
needed to be.

As they needed to be *for you*. But you must realize that this is not
sufficient to *convince* others.
I don't recall you finding fault in them.

TLDR, for the most part. Do you realize the problem?
Of jQuery?!

Especially of jQuery.
So join Garrett on the list of people who haven't written reviews of
jQuery or the rest.

I might.
Whatever. Seems like a waste of time at this point (particularly for
jQuery).

If that is your opinion, you should not be surprised that you do not come
off as very convincing for the most part. For besides technical knowledge
it is convincing people that you need to be good at in order to turn people
that you don't know away from jQuery and the like. And I am sorry to say
that this does not appear to be your forté. I am not saying that it is mine
either, but at least I am basically willing to give it a try. That is where
we apparently differ.

PointedEars

David Mark

On 6/16/2010 6:29 PM, David Mark wrote:
On 6/16/2010 4:06 PM, David Mark wrote:
On 6/16/2010 2:35 PM, David Mark wrote:
Does anyone have any links to very convincing articles that eloquently
state the major flaws of these libraries? I'm not considering using any
of them, I've heard enough here to know how bad they are. I justwant a
few article links to keep in my back pocket that I can fire backwhen
someone suggests we use one of them.
[...]
I've done all of the hard work.  You yourself were just parrotingsome
of it recently.
That is untrue.
History says otherwise.
I've have never wanted to copy anything of yours.
Then I assume you've done so repeatedly at gunpoint.
Lets be very clear on this: There is nothing of yours that I have
copied. Ever.
Let's be very clear.  You have.  Perhaps, for whatever reason, you
don't even realize it.
Haven't we been over *that* enough times?  Start with your recent
obsession with queries and attributes vis-a-vis jQuery.

So let me get this straight: I reviewed code from jQuery. This bothers
you because you believe that I copied you.

Did I get that right?

No, it's one of your usual purposeful oversimplifications. You copied
the one-off feature test from me too. See, I can generalize too!
IIRC, your comment at the time (as you did this here in public) was
that you were changing your whole library to use it as you previously
just had flags. Go ahead, deny it. I'll dig that one up for
sure. :)
[...]

All I know is that you've done neither.  Meanwhile, my patterns have
found their way into all of the "major" libraries.  Yours too I'm
sure.

[...]

I've looked for, but found no unit tests. If I'm going to use something,
I want to run tests on it to verify the edge cases.

You are blind as a bat.

Bwig Zomberi

Joe said:
I've seen enough examples of code that's using jQuery on here to know
that I don't want to become a jQuery programmer - it's like it's own new
language with an ugly perl-like syntax. I guess it's one for the
programmers that prefer unix. I'm a windows guy myself and like "classic
syntax" languages. I guess that's why I've never got into complex
regular expressions either.

Javascript syntax is based on C or Java if you like.

C was first written for Unix, which was written for the most part in C.

jQuery is born ugly. Unix played no part in its birth or parenting.

Joe Nine

Bwig said:
Javascript syntax is based on C or Java if you like.

I know. I imagine everyone here does.
C was first written for Unix, which was written for the most part in C.

I learned that in class too. I don't see the relevance to anything though.
jQuery is born ugly. Unix played no part in its birth or parenting.

I doubt anyone thinks it has any relation to unix.

Joe Nine

Matěj Cepl said:
Dne 17.6.2010 09:10, Joe Nine napsal(a):

Please, don't offend us (Linux|Unix) users. I don't see any relation
between using U*X and distaste for replacing one neatly designed
functional language with some horrible hack pretending to be one.

Easily offended much?

I'm only pointing out that jQuery takes what is a classic C style syntax
that JavaScript offers and encapsulates it in a cryptic wrapper. When it
comes to cryptic commands you can't dispute that *nix has that going on
at a bash prompt. Seen a complex grep or ls command ? Same applies (as I
mentioned) to regexp commands. I don't like either.

VK

However, it touches on a core antipattern of Quooxdoo, Cappuccino and
SproutCore. It's not a new technique.

It would be good for the article to do one of
1) focus entirely on one library
2) focus or a problem that is solved and show how libraries solve it,
with examples from the library, and then show an alternative.
3) focus on an antipattern

I'm going to publish an article next week, after it has been reviewed
and edited (the draft is being reviewed now). The article will cover
some things here, but it is not a formal review, as I have outlined. I'd
really like to see that, and if it is a good one, probably even more
than the article I'm working on.

The jealousness is great in this NG, so I am afraid it will just
another vanity fair with "what dork would do like that / what idiot
would code like this??!". I distinctly remember back in 2005-2006,
when the 2nd Browser Wars started, this NG was nearly attacked with
asks to suggests any good library, "please, please, please". The
locals could use it to push *any* programming pattern they like,
literally, so now would be getting the harvest back. Instead the
energy was spend to call sh*t on anyone not willing to write the code
from the scratch. Eventually such demands stopped, people left: for
Prototype.js, MooTools, Dojo etc. And what else was it expected? No
help from clj - no help from anywhere?

For a core library covering coding/DOM trivia the train is pretty much
gone. It is hard but very important to understand. No one gives a damn
how perfect, universal, robust, everlasting a commercial use library
is by design. The only important things are: how long is it on the
market (2years min), how many listed bugs fixed (lesser that 100 means
that at least 20-50 really nasty ones will have to be fixed with your
business loss), how good the support is.

And the last but not least nobody really cares what library is bad and
why. People normally want to know what library is the most usable /
the best and why. If the consensus still is that there is not such
library and the only sane option is to write your own from the scratch
then it is better to stop the discussion right here so not making
another fun out of yourselves. To appreciate the deep of the fun at
the modern time, go say to comp.lang.c++.moderated and declare the
evilness of any library usage starting with STL.

P.S. What about The Javascript Toolbox http://www.javascripttoolbox.com/
by Matt Kruse as a positive starting point?

Kenneth Tilton

Joe said:
Does anyone have any links to very convincing articles that eloquently
state the major flaws of these libraries? I'm not considering using any
of them, I've heard enough here to know how bad they are. I just want a
few article links to keep in my back pocket that I can fire back when
someone suggests we use one of them.

http://smuglispweeny.blogspot.com/2008/12/road-to-qooxdoo-part-iii-why-it-rocks.html

That article is about a good library, but the first line has links to
assessments of the three you mentioned.

kt

David Mark

The jealousness is great in this NG, so I am afraid it will just
another vanity fair with "what dork would do like that / what idiot
would code like this??!". I distinctly remember back in 2005-2006,
when the 2nd Browser Wars started, this NG was nearly attacked with
asks to suggests any good library, "please, please, please". The
locals could use it to push *any* programming pattern they like,
literally, so now would be getting the harvest back. Instead the
energy was spend to call sh*t on anyone not willing to write the code
from the scratch. Eventually such demands stopped, people left: for
Prototype.js, MooTools, Dojo etc. And what else was it expected? No
help from clj - no help from anywhere?

It came in 2007.
[...]

Starting point?! Did you miss My Library entirely?

Joe Nine

Kenneth said:
http://smuglispweeny.blogspot.com/2008/12/road-to-qooxdoo-part-iii-why-it-rocks.html

That article is about a good library, but the first line has links to
assessments of the three you mentioned.

kt

Thanks for the links. Somewhat wordy articles with way too much talk
about Lisp. I thought Lisp went out of fashion in about 1959 (a year
after it came in). It's another one of those languages where I always
wonder what it's useful for. Back in college, I think Lisp was covered
in just one day and the conclusion was that you'd never have to worry
yourself about it, you won't likely see it again. Why do people hang
onto these obscure languages?

Matt Kruse

P.S. What about The Javascript Toolboxhttp://www.javascripttoolbox.com/
by Matt Kruse as a positive starting point?

Eh, some of the stuff there is terribly out-dated and I would write it
very differently now. Some of it still quite solid, IMO (like table
sorting and date manipulation).

I wish I had time to build, maintain, improve, document, and test all
the stuff that I'd like to put up there, but I don't. My goal was to
build it into a toolbox that was a collection of stuff from more
authors than just myself, but again, no time.

The js that I'm currently working with most is http://BetterFacebook.net,
which is a greasemonkey script/firefox add-on (which also works in
Chrome, Safari, and Opera, I've heard) that adds a bunch of
functionality to Facebook. It's a whole different kind of challenge,
and it's refreshing to not have to deal with IE at all. :)

Perhaps some day I will get back to my toolbox...

Matt Kruse

Matt Kruse

I'm going to publish an article next week, after it has been reviewed
and edited (the draft is being reviewed now). The article will cover
some things here, but it is not a formal review, as I have outlined. I'd
really like to see that, and if it is a good one, probably even more
than the article I'm working on.

I doubt that any of the qualified people in this group are going to
devote time to such a review. I would love to see a simple wiki where
many of us could contribute to building a comprehensive, well-argued
analysis of jQuery. The pros and cons. Kind of a survey of jQuery.

Put it on its own domain, like jQueryReview.com or something, and
you'll get a decent amount of attention, IMO.

The key would be to have a one-page, printable white paper summarizing
the key arguments. This could be easily printed and brought to a
meeting by anyone who is trying to argue against the use of jQuery.
Then the site could dig deeper into the fine print for anyone who is
interested in a really technical analysis.

Of course, my personal take on jQuery is still a bit different than
many of the "zealots" here. I still use jQuery. For the things I use
it for, I am very happy to have it. But I also have a very good
understanding of its weak points, and I know how to avoid them. It is
a tool, like any other. The best developers have many tools in their
arsenal, and know how to pick the right tools to get a job done. There
is no need, IMO, to throw out jQuery completely when it can be a
useful tool in the right situations and in the hands of someone who
knows what they are doing.

Matt Kruse

David Mark

I doubt that any of the qualified people in this group are going to
devote time to such a review. I would love to see a simple wiki where
many of us could contribute to building a comprehensive, well-argued
analysis of jQuery. The pros and cons. Kind of a survey of jQuery.

Put it on its own domain, like jQueryReview.com or something, and
you'll get a decent amount of attention, IMO.

The key would be to have a one-page, printable white paper summarizing
the key arguments. This could be easily printed and brought to a
meeting by anyone who is trying to argue against the use of jQuery.
Then the site could dig deeper into the fine print for anyone who is
interested in a really technical analysis.

Of course, my personal take on jQuery is still a bit different than
many of the "zealots" here.

You understand that the double-quotes are typically used to indicate
sarcasm. Not that I'm arguing with you.
I still use jQuery.

Yes, we've been over that. :(
For the things I use
it for, I am very happy to have it.

I wouldn't claim that.
But I also have a very good
understanding of its weak points, and I know how to avoid them.

You're welcome.
It is
a tool, like any other.

A very bad tool.
The best developers have many tools in their
arsenal, and know how to pick the right tools to get a job done.

And jQuery is never the right tool. It's basically a 70K QSA wrapper
these days. The rest is never-finished nonsense. And yes, I know,
you wrote/write for an IE6-only environment. You couldn't have picked
a worse environment to use such a "tool". And I think you know this
(or I hope you do as we went over the salient issues a hundred times).
There
is no need, IMO, to throw out jQuery completely when it can be a
useful tool in the right situations and in the hands of someone who
knows what they are doing.

Name one (a situation). And no, you don't know what you are doing.
Going on three years later and that point is quite clear.

Matt Kruse

You're welcome.

You've pointed out some. I've discovered many things on my own (things
you would never encounter, since you don't actually use it).
And jQuery is never the right tool.

The "free market" disagrees with you. At least for now.
Name one (a situation).

I know better than to waste my time arguing specifics with you.
There's no value in trying to convince you of anything.

Matt Kruse

David Mark

The jealousness is great in this NG, so I am afraid it will just
another vanity fair with "what dork would do like that / what idiot
would code like this??!". I distinctly remember back in 2005-2006,
when the 2nd Browser Wars started, this NG was nearly attacked with
asks to suggests any good library, "please, please, please". The
locals could use it to push *any* programming pattern they like,
literally, so now would be getting the harvest back. Instead the
energy was spend to call sh*t on anyone not willing to write the code
from the scratch. Eventually such demands stopped, people left: for
Prototype.js, MooTools, Dojo etc. And what else was it expected? No
help from clj - no help from anywhere?

For a core library covering coding/DOM trivia the train is pretty much
gone.

Has left the station? You know, it's odd; all of the "majors" have
botched basic attribute manipulation. That's hardly trivia. After
all, DOM stands for Document Object Model. And what are documents
made of? At the "atomic" level? That's right. The train crashed
right after it left.

http://www.cinsoft.net/attributes.html
It is hard but very important to understand.

And apparently none of the authors of the "major" libraries understand
it at all.
No one gives a damn
how perfect, universal, robust, everlasting a commercial use library
is by design.

That makes no sense at all. The code is transparent and often
obvious. When I see code like:-

function removeAttr(el, name) {
el.removeAttribute(el, name);
}

....as is found in Dojo and jQuery. Well, actually; IIRC, jQuery adds
a mystical incantation to try to compensate for a "mysterious" problem
they have yet to understand (a problem that is well over ten years
old).

function removeAttr(el, name) {
el[name] = '';
el.removeAttribute(el, name);
}

Similarly botched renditions of hasAttribute, setAttribute and (most
importantly for the query engines) getAttribute can be found in:-

- jQuery
- Prototype
- Dojo
- Goog (Closure)
- Qooxdoo
- YUI
- Cappuccino
- etc., etc.

What a spectacular train wreck. And for the last few years, those who
read this group have had these lessons drilled into them (whether they
liked it or not). What possible excuse do the authors of the above
efforts have at this point?
The only important things are: how long is it on the
market (2years min),

What?! The longer it has been on the market, presuming it is as
botched as the above libraries and frameworks, the less capable the
authors (at research, reading for comprehension, problem solving,
etc.). Think about it.
how many listed bugs fixed (lesser that 100 means
that at least 20-50 really nasty ones will have to be fixed with your
business loss), how good the support is.

And we know full well about the "support" provided by the "major"
efforts.
And the last but not least nobody really cares what library is bad and
why.

Then can I presume nobody cares what library is good and why? I guess
nobody cares about anything on your planet. :)
People normally want to know what library is the most usable /
the best and why.

And what does "best" imply?
If the consensus still is that there is not such
library and the only sane option is to write your own from the scratch

You are the only person here who keeps parroting that "from scratch"
line year after year. It's famously *not* something that is
recommended here. Just as you are famous in your way.
then it is better to stop the discussion right here so not making
another fun out of yourselves.

There's no need to make fun of you Veek. Your posts are funny enough
in their own right. And I see you as a tragic figure, dug so deep in
a hole of blunders and misstatements that you have no shot at ever
seeing the light of day again. Give it up.

Tim Streater

[stuff]

After all these posts, I'm none the wiser: what is the problem these
libraries are trying to solve?