JRE 1.4.2_003 and Trojan.ByteVerify

Lukas Bradley

I recently installed the newest JDK and JRE 1.4.2_003 for development
purposes and client applet support. When surfing around the web for a
NON-pornographic video, I happened upon a particular site that
apparently started an Applet.

Immediately, Norton 2003 Anti-Virus caught a ZIP within C:\Documents and
Settings\lbradley\Application
Data\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\javapi\v1.0\jar named
plugin.jar-3aafe450-3b041b4c.zip (this may have been renamed by the
browser, IE). The virus was identified as Trojan.ByteVerify. More
information is located here:

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/trojan.byteverify.html

My question is WHY hasn't the JRE for my browser been fixed to not allow
the runtime security PermissionSet to be circumvented? Even though the
above is defined as a Microsoft security alert, I am no longer using the
Microsoft VM.

Lukas

Andrew Thompson

"Lukas Bradley" ...

| I recently installed the newest JDK and JRE 1.4.2_003 for development
| purposes and client applet support. When surfing around the web for a
| NON-pornographic video, I happened upon a particular site

What URL?

| apparently started an Applet.

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/trojan.byteverify.h
tml

| My question is WHY hasn't the JRE for my browser been fixed to not allow
| the runtime security PermissionSet to be circumvented?

If you are using the MS VM, it was never fixed.*
If you are using the Sun VM, it was never broken.

* The fix is to use the Java Plug-In

|...Even though the
| above is defined as a Microsoft security alert, I am no longer using the
| Microsoft VM.

Check the settings and ensure you
are actually _using_ the Sun VM.

Some of the people who install the
latest MS are lucky enough to get
their OS Component - IE, without
the broken VM at all.

The best fix is probably to get yourself
Mozilla/Opera ..or Linux. ;-)

Jezuch

Lukas said:
My question is WHY hasn't the JRE for my browser been fixed to not allow
the runtime security PermissionSet to be circumvented? Even though the
above is defined as a Microsoft security alert, I am no longer using the
Microsoft VM.

I think there's no need to panic. When the VM downloads the code, it writes
it to disk *before* executing; NAV then picks it up and alerts that there's
a virus inside. That's pretty normal, I'd say :)
--
Ecce Jezuch
"Cry, if you want to cry if it helps you see if it clears your eyes