JRE crash in production ... how to tell JRE is beta?

nospawn

Hi all,

I got the following Java core dump:

#
# An unexpected error has been detected by HotSpot Virtual Machine:
#
# SIGSEGV (0xb) at pc=0xb6e1cd89, pid=19530, tid=1800911792
#
# Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (1.5.0_06-b05 mixed mode)
# Problematic frame:
# V [libjvm.so+0x119d89]
#

1.5.0_06-b05 is beta right?

Appart from all dump info including stack and threads information which
does not really tell me anything, what actually catch my eye is the
JRE version being 1.5.0_06-b05 the "b" would make it a beta version?.
My first concern is how can I tell if this is a JRE beta issue or our
fault somewhere?

Clues how to troubleshoot?

Thanks in advance,
Regards,
Me

Gordon Beaton

I got the following Java core dump:

#
# An unexpected error has been detected by HotSpot Virtual Machine:
#
# SIGSEGV (0xb) at pc=0xb6e1cd89, pid=19530, tid=1800911792
#
# Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (1.5.0_06-b05 mixed mode)
# Problematic frame:
# V [libjvm.so+0x119d89]
#

1.5.0_06-b05 is beta right?

AFAIK the b is just the build identifier prefix:

http://java.sun.com/j2se/versioning_naming.html

Do you have native code in your application? Even though the segfault
occurs while inside a libjvm function, it doesn't mean that's where
the problem originated.

If you answered no, try disabling JIT to see if it occurs again.

Then there's always the bug parade.

/gordon