    support....Argh!

    Regards,

    -Inet
    inetquestion, Dec 14, 2006

  2. inetquestion

    Eric Sosman Guest

    inetquestion wrote:
    > I am working with a product which has a bundled JRE and am trying to
    > come up with an alternate workaround to the problem introduced by the
    > daylight savings time change. The root of the problem is the vendor
    > will not be releasing a new bundled version before our go live, so I am
    > force to roll the current jre out. Now on to my real question.
    >
    > It seems the JRE is pulling the timezone offset from the underlying OS
    > and is internally managing when timezone changes are set to occur. Is
    > this something I have access to change manually until the vendor
    > releases a new version with the fixed JRE bundled in? Installing my
    > own copy of the JRE is not an option due to licensing &
    > support....Argh!

    I think I may know the vendor of the product, or at any
    rate a vendor of similar foot-dragging proclivities ...

    It might (only "might") help to know precisely what JRE
    version(s) are involved.

    --
    Eric Sosman
    lid
    Eric Sosman, Dec 15, 2006

  3. inetquestion

    lordy Guest

    On 2006-12-14, inetquestion <> wrote:
    > I am working with a product which has a bundled JRE and am trying to
    > come up with an alternate workaround to the problem introduced by the
    > daylight savings time change. The root of the problem is the vendor
    > will not be releasing a new bundled version before our go live, so I am
    > force to roll the current jre out. Now on to my real question.
    >
    > It seems the JRE is pulling the timezone offset from the underlying OS
    > and is internally managing when timezone changes are set to occur.

    More information required.

    Java Version.
    OS Version

    as a bare minimum.
    eg on Unix/Linux simple setting TZ variable in the applications init
    scripts **might** solve your problems.

    However from an un-cooperative vendor perspective - you might still be
    on iffy ground - support wise.

    Lordy
    lordy, Dec 15, 2006
  4. inetquestion wrote:

    > It seems the JRE is pulling the timezone offset from the underlying OS
    > and is internally managing when timezone changes are set to occur. Is
    > this something I have access to change manually until the vendor
    > releases a new version with the fixed JRE bundled in? Installing my
    > own copy of the JRE is not an option due to licensing &
    > support....Argh!

    See the tzupdater tool that updates existing JREs with new time zone data:

    http://java.sun.com/javase/tzupdater_README.html
    http://java.sun.com/developer/technicalArticles/Intl/USDST/

    Regards,
    John O'Conner