JRUBY does not find installed gem

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Ronald Fischer, May 14, 2007.

  1. It seems that I am hunted with library search problems....

    I installed the net-ssh Gem, and gem indeed installed it at the=20
    default library for Jruby, but still my program can't find the
    library!

    Here is the installation command and its output:

    H:\dl\lang\net-ssh-1.1.1>gem install net-ssh
    Bulk updating Gem source index for: http://gems.rubyforge.org
    Install required dependency needle? [Yn] y
    Successfully installed net-ssh-1.1.1
    Successfully installed needle-1.3.0
    Installing ri documentation for net-ssh-1.1.1...
    Installing ri documentation for needle-1.3.0...
    Installing RDoc documentation for net-ssh-1.1.1...
    Installing RDoc documentation for needle-1.3.0...

    This is my Gem environment:

    C:\ruby185\lib\ruby\site_ruby>gem environment
    RubyGems Environment:
    - VERSION: 0.9.1 (0.9.1)
    - INSTALLATION DIRECTORY: H:/jruby-0.9.9/lib/ruby/gems/1.8
    - GEM PATH:
    - H:/jruby-0.9.9/lib/ruby/gems/1.8
    - REMOTE SOURCES:
    - http://gems.rubyforge.org

    But when I want to run the following program, I get an error message
    saying
    that net/ssh is not found:

    H:\tmp>type t2.rb
    require 'socket'
    require 'net/telnet'
    require 'net/ssh'

    H:\tmp>jruby t2.rb
    t2.rb:3:in `require': no such file to load -- net/ssh (LoadError)
    from t2.rb:3

    Since the library was installed using the "gem" command, jruby should
    be able to locate it automatically, doesn't it?

    Ronald
    --=20
    Ronald Fischer <>
    Phone: +49-89-452133-162
    =20

    --=20
    Ronald Fischer <>
    Phone: +49-89-452133-162
    =20

    Ronald Fischer, May 14, 2007

  2. Ronald Fischer

    Jano Svitok Guest

    On 5/14/07, Ronald Fischer <> wrote:
    > It seems that I am hunted with library search problems....
    >
    > I installed the net-ssh Gem, and gem indeed installed it at the
    > default library for Jruby, but still my program can't find the
    > library!
    >
    > Here is the installation command and its output:
    >
    > H:\dl\lang\net-ssh-1.1.1>gem install net-ssh
    > Bulk updating Gem source index for: http://gems.rubyforge.org
    > Install required dependency needle? [Yn] y
    > Successfully installed net-ssh-1.1.1
    > Successfully installed needle-1.3.0
    > Installing ri documentation for net-ssh-1.1.1...
    > Installing ri documentation for needle-1.3.0...
    > Installing RDoc documentation for net-ssh-1.1.1...
    > Installing RDoc documentation for needle-1.3.0...
    >

    > This is my Gem environment:
    >
    > C:\ruby185\lib\ruby\site_ruby>gem environment
    > RubyGems Environment:
    > - VERSION: 0.9.1 (0.9.1)
    > - INSTALLATION DIRECTORY: H:/jruby-0.9.9/lib/ruby/gems/1.8
    > - GEM PATH:
    > - H:/jruby-0.9.9/lib/ruby/gems/1.8
    > - REMOTE SOURCES:
    > - http://gems.rubyforge.org
    >

    > But when I want to run the following program, I get an error message
    > saying
    > that net/ssh is not found:
    >
    > H:\tmp>type t2.rb
    > require 'socket'
    > require 'net/telnet'
    > require 'net/ssh'
    >
    > H:\tmp>jruby t2.rb
    > t2.rb:3:in `require': no such file to load -- net/ssh (LoadError)
    > from t2.rb:3
    >

    > Since the library was installed using the "gem" command, jruby should
    > be able to locate it automatically, doesn't it?

    I don't know much about jruby, but in normal ruby (MRI) you have to
    require 'rubygems', either by adding this line to the source, running
    ruby -rubygems or setting $RUBYOPT to rubygems.

    Note: If rubygems are loaded you get a different message when a file
    is not loaded, similar to the following:

    /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:21:in
    `require__': no such file to load -- zlib
    (LoadError)
    from /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:21:in
    `require'
    from /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/package.rb:9
    from /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:21:in
    `require'
    from /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/builder.rb:1
    from /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:21:in
    `require'
    from /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:61:in `manage_gems'

    Jano Svitok, May 14, 2007

  3. > I don't know much about jruby, but in normal ruby (MRI) you have to
    > require 'rubygems', either by adding this line to the source, running
    > ruby -rubygems or setting $RUBYOPT to rubygems.

    RUBYOPT *is* set to -rubygems, so I guess it is a Jruby problem.

    As it turns out, I got an email by Jamis Buck (the author of net-ssh),
    that
    this package would not run with Jruby anyway, so I need to look for a=20
    completely different solution.

    Thank you for helping, though... I wonder whether there is a specific
    mailing
    list devoted to compatibility issues between Ruby and JRuby. Right now,
    I'm
    doing a lot of trial and error, to find out what Ruby stuff happens to
    work
    under JRuby.

    Ronald
    --=20
    Ronald Fischer <>
    Phone: +49-89-452133-162
    =20

    Ronald Fischer, May 14, 2007
  4. > Really the biggest incompatibility is anything that has a native=20
    > extension. So if you go to install a gem and it gives you options for=20
    > what platform to install, chances are it's not going to work.
    >=20
    > But Ruby language features should generally be very solid,=20
    > and pure-Ruby=20
    > code should be just fine. So if net-ssh isn't working (or is=20
    > it needle?)=20
    > then it's a bug we will want to fix. Can you report it please?

    I created a new issue on the JRUBY project. My user id there is "rovf",
    in case you need to look it up.

    > (and the JRuby mailing lists are the best place to talk about=20
    > incompatibilities and stuff...I see from your other thread you've now=20
    > joined :)

    Yes, it finally worked. I will post future messages specific to JRuby on
    that list.

    Thank you for all the help.

    Ronald

    Ronald Fischer, May 15, 2007