    For example if they are using a proxy with webmail such as Yahoo,
    Hotmail or Lycos.

    Or is this just an example of paranoia!?
    Billy, Jul 18, 2005

  2. Billy wrote:
    > Does anyone know how often JS is used to grab someone's IP address even
    > if they are using a proxy?
    >
    > For example if they are using a proxy with webmail such as Yahoo,
    > Hotmail or Lycos.
    >
    > Or is this just an example of paranoia!?

    So far as I know, JavaScript has no way of accessing the IP address of
    the client machine, regardless of proxies.

    I believe VBScript can, though. You might want to inquire in a VBScript
    group about that one, because it's effectually little different. If
    it's possible, a simple protection is... use something other than
    Internet Explorer.
    Christopher J. Hahn, Jul 18, 2005

  3. Billy

    Randy Webb Guest

    Danny wrote:

    > Can't do with js, no access to it per se, is usually done on the
    > server end, quite easy on the server, there's a global variable you can
    > use to get it, $REMOTE_ADDR.

    And that variable is totally useless when trying to get my IP address.

    --
    Randy
    Randy Webb, Jul 18, 2005
  4. Danny wrote:
    > Can't do with js, no access to it per se, is usually done on the server
    > end, quite easy on the server, there's a global variable you can use to
    > get it, $REMOTE_ADDR.
    >
    > Danny

    That would be sufficient for anybody not using a proxy, yes. But the OP
    is worried about whether there's a client-side way to obtain his local
    IP even when he is behind a proxy.

    The REMOTE_ADDR, in this case, would be the IP address of the proxy
    server. Use of proxies is common to try to hide one's IP from a remote
    machine, either for privacy or traceability reasons.
    Christopher J. Hahn, Jul 19, 2005
  5. Billy

    VK Guest

    > Does anyone know how often JS is used to grab someone's IP address even
    > if they are using a proxy?

    Not with JavaScript (all browsers exept IE).

    Possible with JScript (IE 5.0 and higher) using it as a transport to
    VBScript over
    execScript().
    *But* only if user is stupid enough to click Yes on "this page contains
    potentially dangerous content".
    If you move security settings to High, when nothing to worry about at
    all (popup will not appear, script not executed). Lesser users take
    security decisions - better for company :)
    VK, Jul 19, 2005