    (W) 678-494-7863 x-274
    (Fax) (W) 678-494-7865
    http://home.comcast.net/~ciaccio8515/
    JC Home, Dec 20, 2003

  2. JC Home

    lallous Guest

    Hello,

    I've been using EditPlus 2 since I began doing WebDev (PHP, HTML,
    JavaScript).

    Doesn't help w/ debugging but helps w/ nice editing features and syntax
    highlighting.

    lallous, Dec 21, 2003

  3. JC Home

    JC Home Guest

    Thanks! I just d/l it and will give it a whirl. Just seeing the syntax
    highlighted will be nice.

    BTW, somebody else recommended the debugger in Mozilla if you're interested.

    JC Home, Dec 21, 2003
  4. JC Home

    F. Da Costa Guest

    JC Home wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I am just learning JavaScript and would love to find a good editor that
    > helps with syntax and debugging. Any suggestions?

    JS Editor in Eclipse 2.1.x is quite decent (no debugging as far as I know)
    or the Antechinus JS Editor (primitive debugging) or
    DreamWeaver MX 2004

    None of them is perfect but then again, its pretty difficult (still) to
    find a *good* JS editor.

    DCG

    F. Da Costa, Dec 21, 2003
  5. On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 12:25:10 -0500, JC Home wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I am just learning JavaScript and would love to find a good editor that
    > helps with syntax and debugging. Any suggestions?
    >
    > Thanks!!

    sciTE < http://www.scintilla.org/SciTE.html > is a powerful yet
    semiunattractive source code editor with powerful highlighting, collapsing,
    code completion and the sweet ability to highlight scripts in the <script>
    tag as javascript, even though its highlighting HTML.

    -Brian
    Brian Kerrick Nickel, Dec 21, 2003
  6. "JC Home" <> writes:
    > I am just learning JavaScript and would love to find a good editor that
    > helps with syntax and debugging. Any suggestions?

    Time spent learning emacs is repaid a hundredfold:
    http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/

    A javascript mode is standard - add the following lines to .emacs:
    (require 'generic-x)
    (add-to-list 'generic-extras-enable-list 'javascript-generic-mode)

    --
    Chris Jeris Apply (5)(6241)(73) to domain to reply.
    Christopher Jeris, Dec 22, 2003
  7. You might check out Scryptik. The program is pretty newbee itself, but it has
    some very useful features in it. It knows a lot about JavaScript, so it can do a
    lot more than highlighting. It can spot a large class of problems (although I
    disagree with many of its complaints). Its best feature is a function tree which
    can be used for navigation. I am hoping that this programs improves
    significantly over time. http://www.scryptik.com/index.php
    Douglas Crockford, Dec 22, 2003
  8. JC Home

    F. Da Costa Guest

    Douglas Crockford wrote:
    > You might check out Scryptik. The program is pretty newbee itself, but it has
    > some very useful features in it. It knows a lot about JavaScript, so it can do a
    > lot more than highlighting. It can spot a large class of problems (although I
    > disagree with many of its complaints). Its best feature is a function tree which
    > can be used for navigation. I am hoping that this programs improves
    > significantly over time. http://www.scryptik.com/index.php

    Thx for the tip.
    First look is quite ok.

    F DCG
    F. Da Costa, Dec 22, 2003
  9. JC Home

    Randy Webb Guest

    digitalNeurosis28 wrote:

    > JC Home wrote:
    >
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> I am just learning JavaScript and would love to find a good editor that
    >> helps with syntax and debugging. Any suggestions?
    >>
    >> Thanks!!
    >>

    > Just use Mozilla for all your internet surfing (web, email, usenet, irc)
    > and web design needs.
    >
    > http://www.mozilla.org/

    And when you run across sites that are broken in Mozilla because the
    page-author neglected to adhere to standards and wrote IE-only code?

    --
    Randy
    Chance Favors The Prepared Mind
    Randy Webb, Jan 31, 2004

    digitalNeurosis28, Jan 31, 2004
  11. Randy Webb <> writes:

    [use Mozilla]
    > And when you run across sites that are broken in Mozilla because the
    > page-author neglected to adhere to standards and wrote IE-only code?

    Wince, shake head, shrug, and carry on. :)
    /L 'uses Opera for all my browsing needs'
    --
    Lasse Reichstein Nielsen -
    Lasse Reichstein Nielsen, Feb 1, 2004
  12. digitalNeurosis28 wrote:
    >> I am just learning JavaScript and would love to find a good editor that
    >> helps with syntax and debugging. Any suggestions?

    I like JEdit. It has color syntax, you can adjust the colors yourself.

    > Just use Mozilla for all your internet surfing (web, email, usenet, irc)
    > and web design needs.

    I must admit the Javascript console in Mozilla (or any Gecko, I suspect)
    saved my day more than once. But I want my hands on the code so no
    authoring tools.
    --
    Bas Cost Budde
    http://www.heuveltop.nl/BasCB
    Bas Cost Budde, Feb 3, 2004
  13. Bas Cost Budde wrote:

    > digitalNeurosis28 wrote:
    >> Just use Mozilla for all your internet surfing (web, email, usenet, irc)
    >> and web design needs.

    > I must admit the Javascript console in Mozilla (or any Gecko, I suspect)
    > saved my day more than once. But I want my hands on the code so no
    > authoring tools.

    Mozilla Composer includes a source code editor, so you could use it.

    However, I am currently working with and recommend the JSEditor plugin
    0.0.4 [1] for eclipse 3.0M6 [2]. eclipse is 1337 anyway (being an
    open-source cross-platform Java-based editor platform, including a
    sophisticated Java SDK), and the JSEditor uses its Outline View for
    objects, methods and properties. The syntax highlighting of JSEditor
    is basic (comments, strings and keywords only), but I hope it will
    improve over time. eclipse, JSeditor and other editor plugins (like
    PHPeclipse, BlackSun etc.) can be downloaded for free and can be used
    freely (through the Common Public License). The only problem is that
    there is hardly an editor plugin today which does *all* the syntax
    highlighting and stuff. JSEditor knowns only JavaScript, PHPeclipse
    only (X)HTML and PHP, and BlackSun (among other languages, but they
    are seldom/never combined in one file) only HTML or CSS. So you need
    to switch editor plugins often or live with parts of non-highlighted
    code and missing features. Hopefully the next eclipse 3.0 milestone
    will allow for editor overlay.

    If you do not like that, check out Dreamweaver MX 6.1 _with_
    _HomeSite/Coder's Layout_(!) [3] for Windows and Quanta+ [4]
    for KDE which I have used before eclipse:

    Dreamweaver MX's syntax highlighting is sophisticated (I must admit it
    is better than of any other editor I have seen to date, including vi's),
    and code snippets (you are advised to revise the predefined snippets and
    tag library before you use them) and the Code Assist feature allows for
    fast coding. To have a web site as a project allows for
    uploading/synchronizing without an FTP client.

    However, DW is fat in any way (about 200M on harddisk). If you want a
    lightweight app with about the same editor features, I recommend
    HomeSite 5 [5] (about 50M on HD) which editor is kind of a predecessor
    for DW MX's editor (MM included features of HS in DW after they bought
    the inventors of HS, Allaire Software, in 2001). But both apps are
    30-day-trialware (without functional restriction during the trial
    period, IIRC) and the full versions are quite expensive.

    Quanta+ is the best web editor for KDE (on GNU/Linux) I have *seen* to
    date. It includes Code Assist (my version did not for JavaScript code,
    though), syntax highlighting for (X)HTML, JavaScript and PHP, and
    basic upload capabilities, IIRC. As part of KDE, Quanta+ can be
    downloaded for free and used freely as well (through the GNU General
    Public License 2.0).

    HTH

    PointedEars
    ___________
    [1] http://jseditor.sf.net/
    [2] http://eclipse.org/
    [3] http://macromedia.com/dreamweaver/
    [4] http://quanta.sf.net/
    [5] http://macromedia.com/homesite/
    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn, Feb 4, 2004
  14. JC Home

    laurie Guest

    I swear by Textpad for all my coding needs. You can download script files that will identify the code your writing in and
    highlight accordingley. I use if for HTML, PHP, JavaScript, ASP and SQL.
    http://www.textpad.com

    Laurie

    laurie, Feb 9, 2004
  15. JC Home

    Courtney Guest

    Use HTML-Kit from http://www.chami.com/html-kit/. After you download it
    (it's freeware), get the add-ons for JavaScript, including a XHTML
    validator.

    courtney

    "digitalNeurosis28" <> wrote in
    message news:m6VSb.38628$...

    Courtney, Feb 29, 2004
  16. JC Home

    Dev880 Guest

    Download and try dreamweaver, like it and buy it. The MX 2004 version has
    some bugs but has browser support and new html standards built in. I use it
    to develop all my stuff. However I do it all by hand and don't use the
    snippets or MM functions<Crap> It has great features and allow a pull down
    for styles that are defined and good site management commands.

    Dev880, Apr 7, 2004