JS user-defined properties of Objects

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by awebguynow, Jun 21, 2006.

  1. awebguynow

    awebguynow Guest

    I'm actually trying to analyze the Google Suggest code
    as dissected by C. Justus, eyalamir, alacrity and others.

    This could be a follow-up to my unanswered posting:
    Topic: "Google Suggest, advanced JS, DHTML" other keywords: okuh

    But my ? this time is specific: Can properties of Objects be created
    on the fly ?
    Can they be user-defined (UD) and brought into existence, just by an
    assignment ?

    Ex:
    M.completeDiv = _completeDiv;
    or
    var b = fr.completeDiv;
    b.completeStrings = cs;
    //b.displayStrings = ds;
    //b.prefixStrings = pr;

    I would say my level of knowledge is intermediate, but would like to
    learn more.
    If there are references online about this, please direct me to them.
    Thanks.

    awebguynow, Jun 21, 2006

  2. awebguynow wrote:
    <snip>
    > ... Can properties of Objects be created
    > on the fly ?

    Yes.

    > Can they be user-defined (UD) and brought into
    > existence, just by an assignment ?

    That would depend on what you consider a 'user' in this context.
    Executing javascript code can add properties to JS object with
    assignments.

    <snip>
    > I would say my level of knowledge is intermediate, ...

    You are being very optimistic.

    Richard.

    Richard Cornford, Jun 21, 2006