JScript and DLLs/Server Side Objects

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by icicle, Feb 16, 2004.

  1. icicle

    icicle Guest

    A quick question...apologies if this isn't really the right group for this,
    it's not always obvious from the ng listings which one to start with...

    I'm developing a web site using a 3rd party server side DLL (COM object? not
    100% sure of the terminology here). I've developed a prototype in VB and now
    that I have my business rules clear and I'm familiar with the interface,
    I've started to translate this into ASP. However, I'm developing the site in
    JScript and the object appears to present a broken interface to me...there
    are, for example, no "Count" or even "Length" values on some of the
    collection properties, I'm finding that I have to use a try{}catch(){} block
    to test for the existence of any items on these collections....this is,
    obviously, not ideal.

    Just as an experiment, I decided to rewrite one page in VBScript and see
    what happened....lo and behold, the interface presented to VBScript appears
    to be complete.

    Is this an issue between JScript and VBScript, or is it possible that my 3rd
    Party object has a broken implementation of its interface?

    cheers,
    --
    jo/icicle
    icicle, Feb 16, 2004

  2. icicle

    icicle Guest

    icicle wrote:
    > However, I'm developing the site in JScript and the object appears to
    > present a broken interface to me...there are, for example, no "Count"
    > or even "Length" values on some of the collection properties...

    D'oh! Working over the weekend has obviously addled my brain. "Count" is not
    a property, it's a *method*, and as such, in JScript it needs to be
    "Count()".

    *looks sheepish and gets startled by a passing cloud*
    --
    jo/icicle
    icicle, Feb 16, 2004