    months in this config before starting to collapse as of two weeks ago.

    Yours ignorantly
    JNW
    lightsoff, Dec 13, 2005

  2. lightsoff wrote:

    > Not much to do with the programming language here, but a question for you
    > experts: I have JRE 1.5.0.06 installed

    That is the Sun Java Runtime Engine.

    > and get errors when I access the
    > Yahoo games site. The error is always IE causing a fault in JSCRIPT.DLL,
    > which as I understand is the MS version.

    That is JScript, Microsoft's ECMAScript implementation, while JavaScript
    as implemented since version 1.1 is Netscape's ECMAScript implementation.
    Neither one has anything to do with Java.

    > [...]
    > Can there be conflicts between an expected call to JSCRIPT and what JRE
    > does with it?

    No, because the JRE does not handle calls to JScript.dll.

    PointedEars
    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn, Dec 13, 2005

  3. lightsoff

    lightsoff Guest

    "Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn" <> a écrit dans le message
    news: ...
    > lightsoff wrote:
    >
    > > Not much to do with the programming language here, but a question for

    you
    > > experts: I have JRE 1.5.0.06 installed

    > That is the Sun Java Runtime Engine.
    >
    > > and get errors when I access the
    > > Yahoo games site. The error is always IE causing a fault in JSCRIPT.DLL,
    > > which as I understand is the MS version.

    > That is JScript, Microsoft's ECMAScript implementation, while JavaScript
    > as implemented since version 1.1 is Netscape's ECMAScript implementation.
    > Neither one has anything to do with Java.
    >
    > > [...]
    > > Can there be conflicts between an expected call to JSCRIPT and what JRE
    > > does with it?

    > No, because the JRE does not handle calls to JScript.dll.
    >

    > PointedEars

    Thanks!

    JNW
    lightsoff, Dec 13, 2005
  4. lightsoff

    Randy Webb Guest

    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn said the following on 12/13/2005 2:07 PM:

    <snip>

    > That is JScript, Microsoft's ECMAScript implementation, while JavaScript
    > as implemented since version 1.1 is Netscape's ECMAScript implementation.

    Nonsense. JScript and Javascript in IE and Netscape, respectively, are
    *_not_* "ECMAScript implementations". ECMA is an attempt to standardize
    the behaviors in JScript and Javascript, not the other way around.

    --
    Randy
    Randy Webb, Dec 13, 2005
  5. Randy Webb <> writes:

    > Nonsense. JScript and Javascript in IE and Netscape, respectively, are
    > *_not_* "ECMAScript implementations". ECMA is an attempt to
    > standardize the behaviors in JScript and Javascript, not the other way
    > around.

    ECMA standardized early versions of JScript and JavaScript. It didn't
    necessarily agree with both on every point. Later versions of JScript
    and JavaScript then both implemented ECMAScript.

    "JScript is the Microsoft implementation of ECMAScript ..."
    <URL:http://msdn.microsoft.com/office/understanding/frontpage/infocenter/scripting/default.aspx>

    "At Netscape, we use the term "JavaScript" as the brand name for our
    value-added implementation of the ECMA standard."
    <URL:http://wp.netscape.com/comprod/columns/techvision/innovators_be.html>

    /L
    --
    Lasse Reichstein Nielsen -
    Lasse Reichstein Nielsen, Dec 14, 2005
  6. lightsoff

    VK Guest

    lightsoff wrote:
    > Not much to do with the programming language here, but a question for you
    > experts: I have JRE 1.5.0.06 installed and get errors when I access the
    > Yahoo games site. The error is always IE causing a fault in JSCRIPT.DLL,
    > which as I understand is the MS version. IE is version 5.50. The IE window
    > then closes.
    >
    > Can there be conflicts between an expected call to JSCRIPT and what JRE does
    > with it?
    > Is there a solution that anyone can suggest?
    >
    > System is WinMe with all patches up to date. The system worked for some
    > months in this config before starting to collapse as of two weeks ago.
    >
    > Yours ignorantly
    > JNW

    Sun Java is not supported by Microsoft systems anymore. So all kind of
    glitches should be expected. To play Yahoo games you don't need Java
    anyway: there are much more stable and effective ActiveX controls.

    1) Uninstall Java plugin.

    2) Go to your Yahoo Games page and click "OK" when prompted to install
    new control. Enjoy.

    3) If you need Sun Java plugin for another browser, install it again
    (but only after steps 1-2!) During the installation there will be a
    screen with options what browsers to bind the plugin to. Do not miss
    it: that is your only chance given by Sun! Make sure that Internet
    Explorer is *unchecked*.

    4) IE 5.5 is really barely enough for a good browsing experience,
    especially with games in mind. If you decided to stay with IE, upgrade
    at least to IE 6.0 SP1
    VK, Dec 15, 2005
  7. VK wrote:

    > Sun Java is not supported by Microsoft systems anymore.

    Nonsense as usual. <URL:http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/java/>

    PointedEars
    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn, Dec 15, 2005
  8. lightsoff

    lightsoff Guest

    Thanks for the help
    JNW

    lightsoff, Dec 17, 2005
  9. lightsoff

    lightsoff Guest

    Thanks for the help. JRE now gone, I shall give Opera a try-out.

    lightsoff, Dec 17, 2005
  10. lightsoff wrote:

    > Thanks for the help. JRE now gone, I shall give Opera a try-out.

    So you listened to V'Often Wrong'K. You'll see what that will get you.

    That said, Opera is not the worst choice over IE; but to switch because
    of Java and because of bad, or better put, awfully wrong advice regarding
    it is nonsense.

    You should have used the Repair feature of IE or reinstall IE and it would
    have been likely that the error, cause by IE's script engine, would have
    been gone.

    brainoff?

    > [top post]

    is unwanted here.