JScript & GetRows

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Harag, Dec 27, 2003.

  1. Harag

    Harag Guest

    Hi All

    I currently thinking of converting from my little knowledge of
    VBscript to jScript ASP.

    With this in mind I'm looking at my current code to see how it will
    convert over to Jscript.

    One thing I have spotted that I can't think of a way round is the ADO
    recordset.GetRows command.

    I have a VBscript class that handles my DB connections so in short I
    can do things like

    MyArray = clsDB.GetRecordsInArray("Stored Proc Name/SQL", other
    params)

    and this would return the rows into a 2 dimension array.

    Problem is I've read that Jscript only has one dimension. So how is
    the "getRows" solved for Jscript.

    Also is there any good "Jscript" code learning sites?

    Thanks for any help
    Al.

    Harag, Dec 27, 2003

  2. Harag wrote:

    > I currently thinking of converting from my little knowledge of
    > VBscript to jScript ASP.
    >
    > With this in mind I'm looking at my current code to see how it will
    > convert over to Jscript.
    >
    > One thing I have spotted that I can't think of a way round is the ADO
    > recordset.GetRows command.

    I think you can well use ADO without ever using getRows. If you want to
    use it with JScript you need to do some conversion on the safe array
    returned, here is an example
    http://groups.google.com/groups?q=g...=&rnum=1

    --

    Martin Honnen
    http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/

    Martin Honnen, Dec 27, 2003

  3. "Harag" <> wrote in message
    > Hi All
    >
    > I currently thinking of converting from my little knowledge of
    > VBscript to jScript ASP.
    >
    > With this in mind I'm looking at my current code to see how it will
    > convert over to Jscript.
    >
    > One thing I have spotted that I can't think of a way round is the ADO
    > recordset.GetRows command.
    >
    > I have a VBscript class that handles my DB connections so in short I
    > can do things like
    >
    > MyArray = clsDB.GetRecordsInArray("Stored Proc Name/SQL", other
    > params)
    >
    > and this would return the rows into a 2 dimension array.
    >
    > Problem is I've read that Jscript only has one dimension. So how is
    > the "getRows" solved for Jscript.
    >

    > Also is there any good "Jscript" code learning sites?
    >
    > Thanks for any help
    > Al.

    The JScript VBArray type allows you to handle the results of recset.GetRows.

    Other problem areas may be regional formats: date/time/numbers etc which are
    not handled in JScript. No reference parameters eg record_count returned
    from ADO. Most ASP material (95% +) on the WWW is VBScript-based.

    MightyC

    ---

    The Mighty Chaffinch, Dec 28, 2003
  4. Harag

    Chris Barber Guest

    Funnily enough I've just gone through this and converted what was a class
    based system for ADO (disconnected recordsets and stored procedure calling)
    to JScript and had to write my own handler for dates to construct and
    deconstruct ISO format. These two together have made life a lot simpler for
    me since I can use the date formatting .js file in both client side and
    server-side code with no changes.

    I must admit to having never used GetRows since I do all my HTML output
    using XSLT not looping through arrays.

    Still, VBScript does seem to trump JScript for dates and formatting but once
    you find a nice library for it then there is no difference.

    I used to be a staunch supporter of VBScript for ASP but in recent weeks
    I've come to realise that there is no real cons to using JScript for both
    whilst the benefit of maintaining a single code library has halved the
    effort that I need to put in to generating this stuff. That's not to say
    that VBScript doesn't have it's place - it does - although if I ever find an
    IDE for ASP that allows intellisense for JScript objects (eg. .prototype
    stuff) then I'll happily drop VBScript for evermore.

    In part I have to thank Alex for this complete turn around in coding - it
    was a long-ish thread where the pros and cons of VBScript vs. JScript were
    discussed that set me off trying to have a go - it was surprisingly easy.

    Cheers,

    Chris.

    "The Mighty Chaffinch" <> wrote in message

    Chris Barber, Dec 28, 2003
  5. > Funnily enough I've just gone through this and converted what was a class
    > based system for ADO (disconnected recordsets and stored procedure

    calling)
    > to JScript and had to write my own handler for dates to construct and
    > deconstruct ISO format. These two together have made life a lot simpler

    for
    > me since I can use the date formatting .js file in both client side and
    > server-side code with no changes.

    I use all JScript server-side except for a few bits & pieces. I'm from a
    C/block structure programming background so to me it was a natural choice.
    Folks coming from Visual Basic I guess would prefer VBScript for similar
    reasons. In truth I think both languages can do the job as well as each
    other, it's a matter of personal preference.

    But I've noticed a bias against server-side JScript in this group at times,
    often the reasons given are far from convincing, eg. "So you can tell which
    is client-side code and which is server-side code." So I speak up when I see
    the subject is raised to provide a more measured viewpoint (I hope!)

    > I must admit to having never used GetRows since I do all my HTML output
    > using XSLT not looping through arrays.

    I use it a lot. It's not the JScript showstopper that some would have you
    believe. I can post some code if anyone is interested.

    > Still, VBScript does seem to trump JScript for dates and formatting but

    once
    > you find a nice library for it then there is no difference.

    There is currently no support for regional formats in JScript: MS sat they
    are waiting for an ECMA standard before they do it. This is an area where
    you might have to drop into a little VBScript or develop your own solution.

    > I used to be a staunch supporter of VBScript for ASP but in recent weeks
    > I've come to realise that there is no real cons to using JScript for both
    > whilst the benefit of maintaining a single code library has halved the
    > effort that I need to put in to generating this stuff. That's not to say
    > that VBScript doesn't have it's place - it does - although if I ever find

    an
    > IDE for ASP that allows intellisense for JScript objects (eg. .prototype
    > stuff) then I'll happily drop VBScript for evermore.

    Nice to hear of a convert!

    MightyC

    The Mighty Chaffinch, Dec 28, 2003