    Do most people use vbscript or jscript to control their ASP pages? I'm
    trying to decide which to learn.

    Thanks for your help.

    Bruce W.1, Jun 2, 2004

  2. Bruce W.1

    Steven Burn Guest

    I personaklly use VBScript........ with a little JScript when necessary
    (rarely)

    --

    Regards

    Steven Burn
    Ur I.T. Mate Group
    www.it-mate.co.uk

    Keeping it FREE!

    Steven Burn, Jun 2, 2004

  3. Bruce W.1

    Ray at Guest

    Most people use VBScript. If you're going the down the web-developer path,
    you'll wind up learning both, though. For client-side scripting, you should
    always use javascript/jscript. But, for your server-side ASP code, you'll
    find that 99% of the sample code out there is in VBScript. Also, if you ask
    questions and don't specify what language you're using, I think that 99% of
    the world will assume VBScript.

    I also suggest that you skip it all and just get into ASP.net if you're not
    yet familiar with either ASP (classic) or ASP.net.

    Ray at hoem

    Ray at, Jun 3, 2004
  4. Bruce W.1

    Bruce W.1 Guest

    Ray at <%=sLocation%> [MVP] wrote:

    > Most people use VBScript. If you're going the down the web-developer path,
    > you'll wind up learning both, though. For client-side scripting, you should
    > always use javascript/jscript. But, for your server-side ASP code, you'll
    > find that 99% of the sample code out there is in VBScript. Also, if you ask
    > questions and don't specify what language you're using, I think that 99% of
    > the world will assume VBScript.
    >
    > I also suggest that you skip it all and just get into ASP.net if you're not
    > yet familiar with either ASP (classic) or ASP.net.
    >
    > Ray at hoem

    Thanks for the suggestion. I'm already a MCP for ASP.NET. Now I'm
    backtracking because there's so much existing ASP out there, and it's
    still being widely used.

    Bruce W.1, Jun 3, 2004
  5. Bruce W.1

    Ray at Guest

    "Bruce W.1" <> wrote in message

    > Thanks for the suggestion. I'm already a MCP for ASP.NET. Now I'm
    > backtracking because there's so much existing ASP out there, and it's
    > still being widely used.

    This is the first I heard of anyone learning backwards like that, but I
    think it's an excellent idea! You're right - ASP.classic is everywhere.

    Ray at home

    Ray at, Jun 3, 2004
  6. Bruce W.1

    Tim Slattery Guest

    "Bruce W.1" <> wrote:

    >Do most people use vbscript or jscript to control their ASP pages? I'm
    >trying to decide which to learn.

    For client-side scripting, use JavaScript. If you write client side
    script in VBScript, only IE will be able to run it, Netscape, Opera,
    Mozilla products will not have a chance.

    For server-side ASP scripting, most people use VB Script. I think
    that's mainly because MS has always favored it (since it's their
    proprietary language) and the large majority of examples you'll see
    use VBScript. (The MSDN documentation does give examples in both
    languages.)

    Ultimately, which language you use server-side is a matter of personal
    preference.

    --
    Tim Slattery
    MS MVP(DTS)