JSON Template: Minimal but powerful templating language implementedin Python and 3 other languages

Andy Chu

I'm looking for some feedback based on real usage. There have been a
few small features added here and there since it was made public 3
weeks ago, but more comments are appreciated.

A big selling point is that it's implemented in JavaScript too, so you
can use the same templates on the client and the server. There's a
Java version too and a PHP version (in progress).

Right now it's just a single Python module which you can download and
try out, but I'll make an official release soon.

http://code.google.com/p/json-template/

There's a good deal of documentation on the site, but this article
explains it well:

http://json-template.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/doc/Introducing-JSON-Template.html

thanks,
Andy

Paul Rubin

Andy Chu said:
I'm looking for some feedback based on real usage. There have been a
few small features added here and there since it was made public 3
weeks ago, but more comments are appreciated.

It looks cute, but very limited, and lacking in documentation unless I
wasn't looking in the right places. I like the declarative approach
but I think to really make it interesting, you have to supply more of
the machinery found in functional programming languages. As one
simple example, I don't see how to extend your sample template (the
song list) to number the items on the list, e.g.

1. Sounds Like Thunder
2. Their Hooves Carve Craters in the Earth

where the numbers 1 and 2 are generated by the template.