JSON Template: Minimal but powerful templating language implementedin Python and 3 other languages

Discussion in 'Python' started by Andy Chu, Apr 17, 2009.

  1. Andy Chu

    Andy Chu Guest

    I'm looking for some feedback based on real usage. There have been a
    few small features added here and there since it was made public 3
    weeks ago, but more comments are appreciated.

    A big selling point is that it's implemented in JavaScript too, so you
    can use the same templates on the client and the server. There's a
    Java version too and a PHP version (in progress).

    Right now it's just a single Python module which you can download and
    try out, but I'll make an official release soon.

    http://code.google.com/p/json-template/

    There's a good deal of documentation on the site, but this article
    explains it well:

    http://json-template.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/doc/Introducing-JSON-Template.html

    thanks,
    Andy

    Andy Chu, Apr 17, 2009

  2. Andy Chu

    Paul Rubin Guest

    Re: JSON Template: Minimal but powerful templating language implemented in Python and 3 other languages

    Andy Chu <> writes:
    > I'm looking for some feedback based on real usage. There have been a
    > few small features added here and there since it was made public 3
    > weeks ago, but more comments are appreciated.

    It looks cute, but very limited, and lacking in documentation unless I
    wasn't looking in the right places. I like the declarative approach
    but I think to really make it interesting, you have to supply more of
    the machinery found in functional programming languages. As one
    simple example, I don't see how to extend your sample template (the
    song list) to number the items on the list, e.g.

    1. Sounds Like Thunder
    2. Their Hooves Carve Craters in the Earth

    where the numbers 1 and 2 are generated by the template.

    Paul Rubin, Apr 17, 2009