JSP and dynamic XML: Isn't there a better way :-(

milkyway

Hello,

I am considering the following in order to accomplish my task. An
application has to be created that runs from a regular computer as well
as from a WAP-enabled device.

When the user is presented with information to enter on a screen and
then presses the "Continue" button, it would then call a .jsp.

The .jsp would create a .xml on the fly that would be passed to an XSLT
converter to convert to something that can be seen from WAP or from a
regular web browser.

The thing is, to create the .XML file "on the fly", one would have to
use the out.print statements to create something like this. To me, it
seems as though this is very painful :-(
Is there a better way to do this?

Kindest Regards.

Collin VanDyck

milkyway said:
Hello,

I am considering the following in order to accomplish my task. An
application has to be created that runs from a regular computer as well
as from a WAP-enabled device.

When the user is presented with information to enter on a screen and
then presses the "Continue" button, it would then call a .jsp.

The .jsp would create a .xml on the fly that would be passed to an XSLT
converter to convert to something that can be seen from WAP or from a
regular web browser.

The thing is, to create the .XML file "on the fly", one would have to
use the out.print statements to create something like this. To me, it
seems as though this is very painful :-(
Is there a better way to do this?

Kindest Regards.

I think that you'll probably have better success doing this with a
servlet. I'm not that familiar with JSPs, but I've experienced this
pain using XSPs (The Cocoon equivalent of the JSPs) and have found that
simply using a servlet, and setting the mime type to text/xml is the
better solution.