JSP and dynamic XML: Isn't there a better way :-(

Discussion in 'XML' started by milkyway, Dec 2, 2004.

  1. milkyway

    milkyway Guest

    Hello,

    I am considering the following in order to accomplish my task. An
    application has to be created that runs from a regular computer as well
    as from a WAP-enabled device.

    When the user is presented with information to enter on a screen and
    then presses the "Continue" button, it would then call a .jsp.

    The .jsp would create a .xml on the fly that would be passed to an XSLT
    converter to convert to something that can be seen from WAP or from a
    regular web browser.

    The thing is, to create the .XML file "on the fly", one would have to
    use the out.print statements to create something like this. To me, it
    seems as though this is very painful :-(
    Is there a better way to do this?

    Kindest Regards.
    milkyway, Dec 2, 2004

  2. milkyway wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I am considering the following in order to accomplish my task. An
    > application has to be created that runs from a regular computer as well
    > as from a WAP-enabled device.
    >
    > When the user is presented with information to enter on a screen and
    > then presses the "Continue" button, it would then call a .jsp.
    >
    > The .jsp would create a .xml on the fly that would be passed to an XSLT
    > converter to convert to something that can be seen from WAP or from a
    > regular web browser.
    >
    > The thing is, to create the .XML file "on the fly", one would have to
    > use the out.print statements to create something like this. To me, it
    > seems as though this is very painful :-(
    > Is there a better way to do this?
    >
    > Kindest Regards.

    I think that you'll probably have better success doing this with a
    servlet. I'm not that familiar with JSPs, but I've experienced this
    pain using XSPs (The Cocoon equivalent of the JSPs) and have found that
    simply using a servlet, and setting the mime type to text/xml is the
    better solution.
    Collin VanDyck, Dec 2, 2004