    Thanks in advance,
    Kelly Greer

    change nospam to yahoo
    kellygreer1, Jan 22, 2008

  2. kellygreer1

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    kellygreer1 wrote:
    > I'm having trouble finding out how to add JSTL capabilities to Tomcat
    > 5.5. Is there any good site for this information?

    Download the Jakarta JSTL implementation, unpack and
    copy jstl.jar and standard.jar to WEB-INF/lib and
    you should be running.

    > Is JSTL still
    > 'relevant' techology?

    Yes. Absolutely.

    > The Jakarta Taglibs page - http://jakarta.apache.org/taglibs/index.html
    > seems to say they are not doing a 1.2 implementation.

    All Java EE 5 containers must implement JSTL 1.2, so many other
    have such an implementation.

    > What books would you guys recommend for someone who has done ASP.NET,
    > Classic ASP, and PHP and understands Java SE?

    If you like ASP.NET, then I think you should look at JSF.

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, Jan 22, 2008

  3. kellygreer1

    Lew Guest

    Arne Vajhøj wrote:
    > kellygreer1 wrote:
    >> I'm having trouble finding out how to add JSTL capabilities to Tomcat
    >> 5.5. Is there any good site for this information?

    > Download the Jakarta JSTL implementation, unpack and
    > copy jstl.jar and standard.jar to WEB-INF/lib and
    > you should be running.
    >
    > > Is JSTL still
    >> 'relevant' techology?

    > Yes. Absolutely.
    >
    >> The Jakarta Taglibs page - http://jakarta.apache.org/taglibs/index.html
    >> seems to say they are not doing a 1.2 implementation.

    > All Java EE 5 containers must implement JSTL 1.2, so many other
    > have such an implementation.
    >
    >> What books would you guys recommend for someone who has done ASP.NET,
    >> Classic ASP, and PHP and understands Java SE?

    > If you like ASP.NET, then I think you should look at JSF.

    Sun's Java EE 5 and the Glassfish project include JSTL libs, as Arne pointed
    out implicitly.

    For instruction I learned JSTL from the Sun Java EE tutorial:
    <http://java.sun.com/javaee/5/docs/tutorial/doc/bnakc.html>

    --
    Lew
    Lew, Jan 22, 2008
  4. kellygreer1

    kellygreer1 Guest

    On Jan 21, 9:16 pm, Lew <> wrote:
    > Arne Vajhøj wrote:
    > >kellygreer1wrote:
    > >> I'm having trouble finding out how to add JSTL capabilities to Tomcat
    > >> 5.5. Is there any good site for this information?

    > > Download the Jakarta JSTL implementation, unpack and
    > > copy jstl.jar and standard.jar to WEB-INF/lib and
    > > you should be running.

    > > > Is JSTL still
    > >> 'relevant' techology?

    > > Yes. Absolutely.

    > >> The Jakarta Taglibs page -http://jakarta.apache.org/taglibs/index.html
    > >> seems to say they are not doing a 1.2 implementation.

    > > All Java EE 5 containers must implement JSTL 1.2, so many other
    > > have such an implementation.

    > >> What books would you guys recommend for someone who has done ASP.NET,
    > >> Classic ASP, and PHP and understands Java SE?

    > > If you like ASP.NET, then I think you should look at JSF.

    > Sun's Java EE 5 and the Glassfish project include JSTL libs, as Arne pointed
    > out implicitly.
    >
    > For instruction I learned JSTL from the Sun Java EE tutorial:
    > <http://java.sun.com/javaee/5/docs/tutorial/doc/bnakc.html>
    >
    > --
    > Lew

    Well, I did finally get JSTL 1.1 working on Tomcat 5.5. :)

    So thoughts on books...
    What would be a good book that would walk me through
    JSP, JSP + JSTL and then the beginning of JSF and Struts.

    To answer the question about ASP.NET... Is a little bulky. I have to
    do it for my 'day' job.
    I do like the fact that the latest version gives you some of the
    AJAX.NET stuff out of the box instead of having to bolt it on later.
    They still make you download the AJAX Controls. Arghh. Also the
    upcoming MVC extensions sound pretty cool.

    Basically, I'm looking for a new web technology to write apps for LAMP
    (minus the PHP).
    I'm just fed up with PHP. The language is a mess with no real
    direction. I'm not crazy about Python. Ruby is pretty cool. I think
    I have been spoiled by .NET. I have the comfort of knowing I have all
    those libraries to tap into. I would get the same thing from Java.
    And Java seem to branching in interesting directions with Groovy and
    Scala.

    Thanks for any thoughts on the book questions,
    kellygreer1
    kellygreer1, Jan 22, 2008