    I am interested in creating a web based countdown timer that could be
    started, stopped, or reset on the server side. Any ideas?
    , Nov 1, 2005

  2. wrote:

    > I am interested in creating a web based countdown timer that could be
    > started, stopped, or reset on the server side. Any ideas?

    Ajax, Applet.
    Andrew Thompson, Nov 1, 2005

  3. Roedy Green Guest

    On 1 Nov 2005 10:01:22 -0800, wrote, quoted or
    indirectly quoted someone who said :

    >I am interested in creating a web based countdown timer that could be
    >started, stopped, or reset on the server side. Any ideas?

    See http://mindprod.com/jgloss/timer.html

    For arranging periodic screen updates.

    See http://mindprod.com/time.html
    for measuring elapsed time.

    Keep uppermost in your mind that Timers make trigger any time AFTER
    the desired time depending on how busy the system is.

    If I were doing this I would use an Applet that managed the display
    perhaps updating it several times a second. The server would just
    send messages on another thread to meddle with its default operation.

    If you don't feel up to this, I could write you one to your specs for
    a fee.

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.
    Roedy Green, Nov 2, 2005
  4. Roedy Green Guest

    Roedy Green, Nov 2, 2005
  5. Jack Guest

    On Wed, 02 Nov 2005 00:03:44 GMT, Roedy Green
    <> wrote:

    >See http://mindprod.com/jgloss/timer.html
    >
    >For arranging periodic screen updates.
    >
    >See http://mindprod.com/time.html
    >for measuring elapsed time.

    but he wants a countdown timer, which I'd reckon would best be inverse
    logic to that of elapsed time: get currentTimeMillis, do the math to
    the milliseconds of the target time (say, the end of an auction), and
    report the difference on the web page. In that way, you're not
    concerned about trigerring any event - you only have net latency to
    gives any minor imperfections.

    For start/stop/reset, maybe an applet that opens a socket to the
    server for control, or else a manager servlet/jsp with an HTML form,
    each being password protected.
    Jack, Nov 3, 2005