JSP <html:textarea> HELP

TheVooDooChild

On my JSP I have a <html:textarea> with rows="8" and cols="15" to
represent a specific label stock. These labels that I generate are
Strings delimited with CRLF and can have blank lines on any of the 8
rows. My problem is when I have a blank line on row 1 and the String
starts with a CRLF. The textarea does not display this blank space
like it does on any other line that follows some data. So, I can never
get a label that starts on line 2 opposed to line 1.

Can anyone help with this?? Thanks!

Andrew Thompson

On my JSP ...

URL? Link to the source as well..
I have a <html:textarea> with rows="8" and cols="15" to
represent a specific label stock. These labels that I generate are
Strings delimited with CRLF and can have blank lines on any of the 8
rows. My problem is when I have a blank line on row 1 and the String
starts with a CRLF. The textarea does not display this blank space

Which browser? (brand, version and parent OS flavor)
like it does on any other line that follows some data. So, I can never
get a label that starts on line 2 opposed to line 1.

This sounds like it is a problem with your HTML,
you should validate[1] it first up, to check that you
are not simply 'making it up as you go along' as is
the case with many Java developers that write JSP.
Can anyone help with this??

[1] start at the validator <http://validator.w3.org/>

--
Andrew Thompson
"You can blow out a candle, but you can't blow out a fire. Once the flame

TheVooDooChild

My source is a simple html tag:
where spineLabel is a String with CRLF everywhere that the label goes
to the next line.

The browser is IE 6.0 on a WinXP box, but i'm not sure that's relevant
here.

The html is valid, that's not my issue either.

My issue lies in the behind-the-seens of the <html:textarea> control.
Appearently, the control either trims or strips leading spaces/crlf's
and that is causing my problem. Maybe I need a different control
instead of <html:textarea>, I don't know. That's why I'm here. Any
suggestions??

Jimi Hullegård

TheVooDooChild said:
My issue lies in the behind-the-seens of the <html:textarea> control.
Appearently, the control either trims or strips leading spaces/crlf's
and that is causing my problem. Maybe I need a different control
instead of <html:textarea>, I don't know. That's why I'm here. Any
suggestions??

What does the generated java code look like? Also, is this a struts tag?
Then you should look at their source code.

/Jimi