    best serve my purpose -- given that I am not looking for entire page
    templates but templates for rendering reusable components on the page.

    Thanks!
    Javaholic, Jul 7, 2003

  2. (Javaholic) wrote in message news:<>...
    > We are working on a web project and so far have decided to go with JSP
    > for web pages and JSF as a component framework ...
    >
    > Now, we all agree that rendering HTML thru Java code is ugly and I
    > have been looking at a few template technologies - FreeMarker,
    > Velocity, etc. - to generate HTML for the custom components that we
    > develop ...
    >
    > I was a little confused with whether I can use FreeMarker/Velocity as
    > template rendering tools for my custom components and still continue
    > to use the JSP + JSF solution?

    You can use JSP taglibs from a FreeMarker template. Velocity does not
    have this capability.

    > Also, I'd like to gather a sense of which template technologies would
    > best serve my purpose -- given that I am not looking for entire page
    > templates but templates for rendering reusable components on the page.

    In general, FreeMarker has much more powerful macro capabilities than
    Velocity. In any case, FreeMarker is being actively developed while
    Velocity is not really. You might find this page useful:

    http://freemarker.org/fmVsVel.html

    Though, note that it is not a completely objective source of
    information. (Nor am I. :)

    Regards,

    Jonathan Revusky

    Jonathan Revusky, Jul 14, 2003