    this might take me
    8-10wks to build working on it part time.. i have no idea what to charge..
    any suggestions??? (not hourly rate but a package deal)

    Fadzi Ushewokunze, Jul 24, 2003

  2. On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 15:39:53 +0100, Phil Britton wrote:

    > "Fadzi Ushewokunze" <> writes:
    >
    >> hie there..
    >>
    >> just wondering how much would one charge a company that wants a
    >> solution that will include jsp/servlets/mysql and a few ejbs or just
    >> normal beans. this might take me
    >> 8-10wks to build working on it part time.. i have no idea what to
    >> charge.. any suggestions??? (not hourly rate but a package deal)
    >>

    > You don't say where your'e posting from but the following rule is fairly
    > international for a bespoke software developement that has no sell-on
    > value or you retain righst on finished product.
    >
    > Work out how long it would take you to do in hours = X
    >
    > What is the typicla hourly rate where you live for someone with your
    > skills and experience = Y
    >
    > Material costs (CDs for burning, paper for manuals etc) = P
    >
    > Expenses (travelling to and from customer site, telephone calls etc)= Q
    >
    > Depreciation costs for your equipment, non-movable assets (e.g.
    > house/office) = R
    >
    > Charge to Customer C= X*Y+P+Q+R
    >
    > As it's a package you can estimate P,Q and R. You can also offer
    > discount of you think that this project can be a loss leader for follow
    > on work or discount of they pay up within a certain time of being
    > presented with your bill,

    I would add one more factor: risk. By offering fixed price, you are
    assuming the fairly substantial risk of estimating incorrectly. What if it
    ends up taking 20 wks instead of 10?

    For the same reason, it is critically important that you nail down the
    exact scope of the project, and have a policy in place for charging for
    any changes to the scope.

    Also, when calculating the hourly rate, don't take the net rate of a
    salaried person, but include the cost of benefits, taxes etc. that the
    employer would usually pay. Or just use the hourly rate of somebody who
    already works as a freelancer.

    --
    Keep American Families united! Support H.R. 539 and H.R. 832
    For more information, see http://www.kkeane.com/lobbyspousal-faq.shtml

    Ingo Pakleppa - ingo at kkeane dot com, Jul 24, 2003

  3. thanks phil. your info helps a lot.
    i am posting from sydney australia.

    Fadzi Ushewokunze, Jul 25, 2003
  4. Fadzi Ushewokunze

    Karthik A. Guest

    One more thing is to calculate the time correctly ... if you dont
    deliver within the time mentioned in the contract you might have to
    end up paying through your nose. ... yes risk has to be covered .. and
    if possible insure your project.

    Karthik A., Jul 25, 2003