JSP/Servlet hosting recommendations

Discussion in 'Java' started by Andrew Thompson, Jul 7, 2005.

  1. I am pricing options for hosting off Java enabled servers.

    My current host* has become a problem and unless it
    can be fixed soon - I am moving my sites.

    The basic requirements are..
    - Direct access to server.xml/WEB-INF
    - Under (US)$20/month (when paid on annual basis)
    - Storage > 256Meg
    - Bandwidth > 4Gig/month
    - RELIABLE
    - GOOD CUSTOMER SERVICE
    - (at least one D/B in package)
    - (can park domains, get cheap sub-domains)

    The plans I have looked at thus far include..

    (1st line is..)
    Price Storage Bndwdth
    (2nd is)
    Plan URL

    $17.95 2000 50
    Starter Plan (w/Java) http://www.cwihosting.com/starter.php

    $18.00 512 15
    Supple Platinum http://www.supplehost.com/comp_plans.jsp

    $19.95 800 7
    Performance Corporate
    http://www.performancehosting.net/hosting.php?plan=Lite

    $19.95 400 12
    Enterprise
    http://www.javaservlethosting.com/services.php?pageid=webhostingcomparison

    $19.95 96 4
    MataiVPS1 http://rimuhosting.com/order/startorder.jsp#matai

    $20.00 1000 2
    Developers Package http://www.kgbinternet.com/service.htm

    $20.00 600 20
    Standard Plus http://www.eapps.com/Docs/VPSStandardPrices.jsp

    $26.99 1000 50
    Before you get private JVM http://www.oxxus.net/hosting_java.htm

    $26.99 800 30
    Dedicate JVM Plan http://www.jspzone.net/

    I am after recommendations, on these or other similar
    plans/prices. In particularly I would like to hear from people
    who have either hosted sites themselves, or established sites
    for clients with the host they are discussing.

    Note that some of those listed above do not fit my *own*
    criteria, but (shrugs) if one is slightly outside the spec.
    but also the only one that comes 'highly recommended',
    it will probably get my business.

    Your recommendations?

    * LunarPages, ..no, let's not even go there.

    --
    Andrew Thompson
    Andrew Thompson, Jul 7, 2005

  2. On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 08:24:04 GMT, Andrew Thompson wrote:

    > I am pricing options for hosting off Java enabled servers.

    Out of curiousity. How often do ..you as a Java server-side
    developer actually need to 'choose a host'?

    [ After 2 days of no reponses I am wondering if I asked
    this in the wrong forum. Or is it just that nobody is
    talking to me since 'the incident'? ;-) ]

    --
    Andrew Thompson
    Andrew Thompson, Jul 9, 2005

  3. Andrew Thompson schreef:
    > On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 08:24:04 GMT, Andrew Thompson wrote:
    >

    >>I am pricing options for hosting off Java enabled servers.

    > Out of curiousity. How often do ..you as a Java server-side
    > developer actually need to 'choose a host'?
    >
    > [ After 2 days of no reponses I am wondering if I asked
    > this in the wrong forum. Or is it just that nobody is
    > talking to me since 'the incident'? ;-) ]

    Most servers I develop or worked on, I had root access. Tomcat was
    installed by the same people a worked for/with.

    Anyway, I did a search on hosting companies for java too.
    Kattara (http://www.kattare.com/servlets.kvws) seemed very well, and
    they replied pretty quick on a question.
    Prokmu (http://www.Prokmu.com) seemed very well too. They could also
    host RMI application (firewall could be opened for certain ports at
    request).

    You can look at: http://www.servlets.com/isps/servlet/ISPViewAll

    Access to Web-INF/web.xml is a must. At a minimum, you should be able to
    deploy a webapp (.war), that include all files.
    I think it is also quite important you have a private JVM. This avoids
    security problems and the possibility you have to wait a while before
    you can restart.
    Gerbrand van Dieijen, Jul 9, 2005
  4. Andrew Thompson

    Guest

    Hej!

    I use kgbinternet, silver package; I've used it for ... ooooh, 18
    months now; never had a problem. Next-day email responses to queries.
    Recommended.

    And that's the first host I chose, though I chose it more or less at
    random.

    ..ed

    --
    www.EdmundKirwan.com - Home of The Fractal Class Composition
    , Jul 9, 2005
  5. On Sat, 09 Jul 2005 15:31:17 +0200, Gerbrand van Dieijen wrote:

    > Andrew Thompson schreef:
    >> On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 08:24:04 GMT, Andrew Thompson wrote:

    >>>I am pricing options for hosting off Java enabled servers.

    > ...I did a search on hosting companies for java too.
    > Kattara (http://www.kattare.com/servlets.kvws) seemed very well, and
    > they replied pretty quick on a question.

    Their plans look tempting, but I am afraid the Level 3.1
    plan ($29/month) is just a little outside my (tiny) budget
    at the moment.

    > Prokmu (http://www.Prokmu.com) seemed very well too.

    At $16/month, they are looking much more doable.

    > I think it is also quite important you have a private JVM.

    Yes.. That would be *nice*, but I think it is a luxury
    I cannot afford at this stage. Though the 'Private Java
    Package' at Prokmu is only $25/month, ..maybe I can
    stretch it that far.

    Thanks for your input, Gerbrand!

    --
    Andrew Thompson
    Andrew Thompson, Jul 9, 2005
  6. On 9 Jul 2005 09:32:33 -0700, wrote:

    > I use kgbinternet, silver package; I've used it for ... ooooh, 18
    > months now; never had a problem. Next-day email responses to queries.
    > Recommended.

    Thanks ed (.ed?). I was impressed with the 'no-nonsense'
    look of their site. ( The complete lack of the cute
    'blown-up head' graphics of some other sites, for
    starters.. ;-)

    When I make my decision I'll keep in mind that it is the only
    one mentioned so far that has an active (and satisfied) customer.

    --
    Andrew Thompson
    Andrew Thompson, Jul 9, 2005
  7. Andrew Thompson

    Steve Sobol Guest

    Andrew Thompson wrote:

    > Their plans look tempting, but I am afraid the Level 3.1
    > plan ($29/month) is just a little outside my (tiny) budget
    > at the moment.

    I have a friend back in Ohio (USA) who works tech support for a local
    Internet provider in Columbus, http://www.jtlnet.com/ - they offer Tomcat
    hosting and their prices seem quite reasonable. I can hook you up with him
    if you want. :)

    I do JSP 2.4 and Servlets using Jetty, but I'm probably priced a little
    outside your desired price range. Right now I'm focused more on custom
    website and desktop software development and than hosting, although that
    will probably change pretty soon.

    --
    JustThe.net - Steve Sobol / / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED

    "Life's like an hourglass glued to the table" --Anna Nalick, "Breathe"
    Steve Sobol, Jul 9, 2005
  8. On Sat, 09 Jul 2005 11:53:30 -0700, Steve Sobol wrote:

    > Andrew Thompson wrote:

    > I have a friend back in Ohio (USA) who works tech support for a local
    > Internet provider in Columbus, http://www.jtlnet.com/ - they offer Tomcat
    > hosting and their prices seem quite reasonable. I can hook you up with him
    > if you want. :)

    Thanks, but I'll drop them a note as an 'anon' enquiry..
    ( I like that element of 'surprise' )

    > I do JSP 2.4 and Servlets using Jetty, but I'm probably priced a little
    > outside your desired price range.

    POA? ;-)

    > ..Right now I'm focused more on custom
    > website and desktop software development and than hosting, although that
    > will probably change pretty soon.

    It sounds as if your services are beyond my immediate needs,
    but who can say what might transpire in the future?
    I hope the venture goes well for you.

    In any case,

    ...Thanks to you and .ed and Gerbrand.

    I have put specific enquiries to KGBInternet, Prokmu
    and JTLNet and will see how each respond. I'll report
    my results/decisions.

    [ It is looking almost certain now, that I leave my
    current (? ..former) host. ]

    --
    Andrew Thompson
    Andrew Thompson, Jul 11, 2005
  9. On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 08:24:04 GMT, Andrew Thompson wrote:

    > I am pricing options for hosting off Java enabled servers.

    'Prokmu' won the business. <http://www.Prokmu.com>

    There was a factor in this that I didn't think to mention
    in the initial post that ultimately sealed it for their
    'Java Package' at $16 a month.

    They allow 2 add-on domains and three parked domains
    in that price. This was looking to work out more expensive
    with other providers.

    Added to that was that Prokmu recently upped the storage
    from 1250 to 5000 Meg, and bandwidth from 30 to 60 Gig/month.

    Enormous!

    My previous hosts' storage allowance had slowly increased to
    around a Gig, but the bandwidth (of which I hope to be using
    a lot more soon) had remained locked at a relatively low level.

    Thanks again to Gerbrand, .ed and Steve. Your advices
    helped me reach a decision, and spurred me to act!

    --
    Andrew Thompson
    Transmitido en Martian en SAP
    Andrew Thompson, Jul 13, 2005