JSP/Servlet hosting recommendations

Andrew Thompson

I am pricing options for hosting off Java enabled servers.

My current host* has become a problem and unless it
can be fixed soon - I am moving my sites.

The basic requirements are..
- Direct access to server.xml/WEB-INF
- Under (US)$20/month (when paid on annual basis)
- Storage > 256Meg
- Bandwidth > 4Gig/month
- RELIABLE
- GOOD CUSTOMER SERVICE
- (at least one D/B in package)
- (can park domains, get cheap sub-domains)

The plans I have looked at thus far include..

(1st line is..)
Price Storage Bndwdth
(2nd is)
Plan URL

$17.95 2000 50
Starter Plan (w/Java) http://www.cwihosting.com/starter.php

$18.00 512 15
Supple Platinum http://www.supplehost.com/comp_plans.jsp

$19.95 800 7
Performance Corporate
http://www.performancehosting.net/hosting.php?plan=Lite

$19.95 400 12
Enterprise
http://www.javaservlethosting.com/services.php?pageid=webhostingcomparison

$19.95 96 4
MataiVPS1 http://rimuhosting.com/order/startorder.jsp#matai

$20.00 1000 2
Developers Package http://www.kgbinternet.com/service.htm

$20.00 600 20
Standard Plus http://www.eapps.com/Docs/VPSStandardPrices.jsp

$26.99 1000 50
Before you get private JVM http://www.oxxus.net/hosting_java.htm

$26.99 800 30
Dedicate JVM Plan http://www.jspzone.net/

I am after recommendations, on these or other similar
plans/prices. In particularly I would like to hear from people
who have either hosted sites themselves, or established sites
for clients with the host they are discussing.

Note that some of those listed above do not fit my *own*
criteria, but (shrugs) if one is slightly outside the spec.
but also the only one that comes 'highly recommended',
it will probably get my business.

Your recommendations?

* LunarPages, ..no, let's not even go there.

Andrew Thompson

I am pricing options for hosting off Java enabled servers.

Out of curiousity. How often do ..you as a Java server-side
developer actually need to 'choose a host'?

[ After 2 days of no reponses I am wondering if I asked
this in the wrong forum. Or is it just that nobody is
talking to me since 'the incident'? ;-) ]

Gerbrand van Dieijen

Andrew Thompson schreef:
I am pricing options for hosting off Java enabled servers.

Out of curiousity. How often do ..you as a Java server-side
developer actually need to 'choose a host'?

[ After 2 days of no reponses I am wondering if I asked
this in the wrong forum. Or is it just that nobody is
talking to me since 'the incident'? ;-) ]

Most servers I develop or worked on, I had root access. Tomcat was
installed by the same people a worked for/with.

Anyway, I did a search on hosting companies for java too.
Kattara (http://www.kattare.com/servlets.kvws) seemed very well, and
they replied pretty quick on a question.
Prokmu (http://www.Prokmu.com) seemed very well too. They could also
host RMI application (firewall could be opened for certain ports at
request).

You can look at: http://www.servlets.com/isps/servlet/ISPViewAll

Access to Web-INF/web.xml is a must. At a minimum, you should be able to
deploy a webapp (.war), that include all files.
I think it is also quite important you have a private JVM. This avoids
security problems and the possibility you have to wait a while before
you can restart.

iamfractal

Hej!

I use kgbinternet, silver package; I've used it for ... ooooh, 18
months now; never had a problem. Next-day email responses to queries.
Recommended.

And that's the first host I chose, though I chose it more or less at
random.

..ed

Andrew Thompson

Andrew Thompson schreef: ...
...I did a search on hosting companies for java too.
Kattara (http://www.kattare.com/servlets.kvws) seemed very well, and
they replied pretty quick on a question.

Their plans look tempting, but I am afraid the Level 3.1
plan ($29/month) is just a little outside my (tiny) budget
at the moment.
Prokmu (http://www.Prokmu.com) seemed very well too.

At $16/month, they are looking much more doable.

I think it is also quite important you have a private JVM.

Yes.. That would be *nice*, but I think it is a luxury
I cannot afford at this stage. Though the 'Private Java
Package' at Prokmu is only $25/month, ..maybe I can
stretch it that far.

Thanks for your input, Gerbrand!

Andrew Thompson

I use kgbinternet, silver package; I've used it for ... ooooh, 18
months now; never had a problem. Next-day email responses to queries.
Recommended.

Thanks ed (.ed?). I was impressed with the 'no-nonsense'
look of their site. ( The complete lack of the cute
'blown-up head' graphics of some other sites, for
starters.. ;-)

When I make my decision I'll keep in mind that it is the only
one mentioned so far that has an active (and satisfied) customer.

Steve Sobol

Andrew said:
Their plans look tempting, but I am afraid the Level 3.1
plan ($29/month) is just a little outside my (tiny) budget
at the moment.

I have a friend back in Ohio (USA) who works tech support for a local
Internet provider in Columbus, http://www.jtlnet.com/ - they offer Tomcat
hosting and their prices seem quite reasonable. I can hook you up with him
if you want. :)

I do JSP 2.4 and Servlets using Jetty, but I'm probably priced a little
outside your desired price range. Right now I'm focused more on custom
website and desktop software development and than hosting, although that
will probably change pretty soon.

--
JustThe.net - Steve Sobol / (e-mail address removed) / PGP: 0xE3AE35ED

"Life's like an hourglass glued to the table" --Anna Nalick, "Breathe"

Andrew Thompson

Andrew Thompson wrote: ...
I have a friend back in Ohio (USA) who works tech support for a local
Internet provider in Columbus, http://www.jtlnet.com/ - they offer Tomcat
hosting and their prices seem quite reasonable. I can hook you up with him
if you want. :)

Thanks, but I'll drop them a note as an 'anon' enquiry..
( I like that element of 'surprise' )
I do JSP 2.4 and Servlets using Jetty, but I'm probably priced a little
outside your desired price range.

POA? ;-)
..Right now I'm focused more on custom
website and desktop software development and than hosting, although that
will probably change pretty soon.

It sounds as if your services are beyond my immediate needs,
but who can say what might transpire in the future?
I hope the venture goes well for you.

In any case,

...Thanks to you and .ed and Gerbrand.

I have put specific enquiries to KGBInternet, Prokmu
and JTLNet and will see how each respond. I'll report
my results/decisions.

[ It is looking almost certain now, that I leave my
current (? ..former) host. ]

Andrew Thompson

I am pricing options for hosting off Java enabled servers.

'Prokmu' won the business. <http://www.Prokmu.com>

There was a factor in this that I didn't think to mention
in the initial post that ultimately sealed it for their
'Java Package' at $16 a month.

They allow 2 add-on domains and three parked domains
in that price. This was looking to work out more expensive
with other providers.

Added to that was that Prokmu recently upped the storage
from 1250 to 5000 Meg, and bandwidth from 30 to 60 Gig/month.

Enormous!

My previous hosts' storage allowance had slowly increased to
around a Gig, but the bandwidth (of which I hope to be using
a lot more soon) had remained locked at a relatively low level.

Thanks again to Gerbrand, .ed and Steve. Your advices
helped me reach a decision, and spurred me to act!