JSP value beans: am I missing something?

marty mcmahone

I'm testing around with building basic beans to use inan HTML form / bean
combination. I have a set of fields named the same as my instance variables
and the proper get/set routines. It all works fine, except for the problem
of non-numeric data. If I have an int instance variable and pass an int
into the set routine, I get a data exception type crash. OTOH, if I try to
make the parameter in the set routine a string, then convert it into an int
(under a try/catch) the set routine is ignored.

Is there no way to do variable checking in this global method? If not, how
could this be useful for numeric data?

Thanks for any insights,

Marty