    a nokia implementation for j2me and it is only available on request.
    Is there a free implementation for J2SE? I could use that ...

    http://jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=184
    Joe Randstein, Apr 21, 2004

  2. Joe Randstein wrote:

    > Hi!
    > I checked out JSR-184 (3d-graphics) and it looks nice, but I see only
    > a nokia implementation for j2me and it is only available on request.
    > Is there a free implementation for J2SE? I could use that ...

    That's a 3D API for mobile phones and handheld devices, not for J2SE.

    --
    Darryl L. Pierce <>
    Visit the Infobahn Offramp - <http://mypage.org/mcpierce>
    Darryl L. Pierce, Apr 21, 2004

  3. On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 03:41:00 -0700, Joe Randstein wrote:

    > Hi!
    > I checked out JSR-184 (3d-graphics) and it looks nice, but I see only a
    > nokia implementation for j2me and it is only available on request. Is
    > there a free implementation for J2SE? I could use that ...
    >
    > http://jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=184

    For j2se, use Java3D.

    For more info, search the java web site or check out

    HTH,
    La'ie Techie
    =?UTF-8?b?TMSByrtpZSBUZWNoaWU=?=, Apr 22, 2004
  4. "Darryl L. Pierce" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Joe Randstein wrote:
    >
    > > Hi!
    > > I checked out JSR-184 (3d-graphics) and it looks nice, but I see only
    > > a nokia implementation for j2me and it is only available on request.
    > > Is there a free implementation for J2SE? I could use that ...

    > That's a 3D API for mobile phones and handheld devices, not for J2SE.

    Yes, true. But I see no reason it could not be ported to the J2SE.
    Only very few changes would be needed as far as I can see. So I hoped
    someone might have done it ...
    Joe Randstein, Apr 22, 2004
  5. L??ie Techie <laie@wing_this_etsolutions.com> wrote in message news:<>...
    > On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 03:41:00 -0700, Joe Randstein wrote:
    >
    > > Hi!
    > > I checked out JSR-184 (3d-graphics) and it looks nice, but I see only a
    > > nokia implementation for j2me and it is only available on request. Is
    > > there a free implementation for J2SE? I could use that ...
    > >
    > > http://jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=184

    > For j2se, use Java3D.
    >
    > For more info, search the java web site or check out

    java3d is too fat. Also I want to be able to easily port from j2se to j2me.
    Joe Randstein, Apr 22, 2004
  6. Joe Randstein wrote:

    >> > Hi!
    >> > I checked out JSR-184 (3d-graphics) and it looks nice, but I see only
    >> > a nokia implementation for j2me and it is only available on request.
    >> > Is there a free implementation for J2SE? I could use that ...

    >> That's a 3D API for mobile phones and handheld devices, not for J2SE.

    > Yes, true. But I see no reason it could not be ported to the J2SE.
    > Only very few changes would be needed as far as I can see. So I hoped
    > someone might have done it ...

    My point was that the API was designed for handsets and, as such, is
    probably not going to be available for desktops. And, since it's built
    on the MIDP, it's going to be integrated into the LCDUI APIs and won't
    easily port to the J2SE desktop paradigm unless someone first ports
    the LCUI. All in all, not a worthwhile task, really.

    Besides, there's already a 3D API for J2SE. Why have another one?

    Darryl L. Pierce, Apr 22, 2004
  7. I've done a partial implementation of the JSR-184 API using the JOGL
    OpenGL wrapper for Java but I don't know if I can publish it because
    of the Licensing terms of the Specification itself:

    create and/or distribute an Independent Implementation of the
    Specification that:
    a) fully implementation under javax
    b) all required interfaces
    c) only them, no extension