  1. bob smith

    bob smith Guest

    Does anyone actually use JSR-82, or is that pretty much gone with the wind?
    bob smith, Aug 21, 2012

  2. bob smith

    markspace Guest

    On 8/21/2012 1:51 PM, bob smith wrote:
    > Does anyone actually use JSR-82, or is that pretty much gone with the
    > wind?

    This is JME I assume? You should specify, most of the folks here run
    Java on relatively large servers; JME doesn't intersect much with that
    kind of programming.

    Dunno specifically about JSR82, shouldn't the docs for your target
    device(s) say what to use?
    markspace, Aug 21, 2012

  3. bob smith

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    On 8/21/2012 4:51 PM, bob smith wrote:
    > Does anyone actually use JSR-82, or is that pretty much gone with the wind?

    I believe that it was approved, so it should be in all implementations
    requiring it.

    It even looks as if the spec is regularly updated, so it is not
    forgotten.

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, Aug 21, 2012
  4. bob smith wrote:

    > Does anyone actually use JSR-82, or is that pretty much gone with the wind?

    I have used it extensively in several special purpose Java ME apps. It used to
    be well supported by several manufacturers, Motorola, Nokia, Sony Ericsson,
    amongst others. The api worked well, though each manufacturer had their own
    idosyncrasities. My impression is that at least the above three manufacturers
    where very much supportive of apps using the api.

    Now, if you haven't lived under a rock the last couple of years, you must have
    noticed that Android more or less has superseeded Java ME on the majority of
    smartphones, and also is nibbling on the edges of the feature phone market too.
    The Android SDK does not provide JSR-82, but has a public api for bluetooth
    communication that is comparable for many use cases. Apple does not provide
    JSR-82 on their phones either.

    There might still be a market for Java ME in emerging markets. Not so sure that
    the feature phones in those markets commonly support JSR-82 though, it is a JSR
    that often is skipped for cost reasons on cheaper phones.

    Anyone in this group that is developing mobile apps in a emering market or
    somewhere elese where Iphone and Android hasn't completely eclipsed Java ME
    yet?

    --
    Fredrik Jonson
    Fredrik Jonson, Aug 22, 2012
  5. bob smith

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    On 8/22/2012 12:54 PM, Fredrik Jonson wrote:
    > Now, if you haven't lived under a rock the last couple of years, you must have
    > noticed that Android more or less has superseeded Java ME on the majority of
    > smartphones, and also is nibbling on the edges of the feature phone market too.

    > Anyone in this group that is developing mobile apps in a emering market or
    > somewhere elese where Iphone and Android hasn't completely eclipsed Java ME
    > yet?

    That is a very good point.

    Java ME future look pretty dark unless Oracle make a deal with Google
    to make Android compatible with a new ME device configuration.

    And I would not hold my breath until that happens.

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, Aug 28, 2012