jsr135 conspiracy

Discussion in 'Java' started by tah, Dec 23, 2006.

  1. tah

    tah Guest

    Hello,
    I'm not sure this is the correct forum for the following
    questions, but it's the closest I can find. I am implementing a j2me
    video capture app and am finding much strangeness on different
    handsets. It's almost as if the phone manufacturers don't wish to
    implement mmapi/jsr135 fully. Can anyone answer the question: How
    common is full jsr135 implementation, specifically video and audio
    capture (not just snapshot, but full motion)? Can anyone comment on
    this?

    Secondly, a couple of specific questions, as examples of above:

    1. On a Samsung SGH-A707 phone, I get a return of 'false' when running
    System.getProperty("supports.video.capture"), indicating that it won't
    allow video capture thru mmapi. However, when running
    System.getProperty("video.encodings"), it returns
    'encodings=video/H263'. Isn't this a contradiction? If it doesn't
    support capture, why would it show an encoding? What am I missing?

    2. On an LG CU500, I get a return of 'true' when running
    System.getProperty("supports.video.capture"), indicating that it will
    allow video capture thru mmapi. However, running
    System.getProperty("video.encodings"), it returns 'encodings=jpeg'. How
    is jpeg a video encoding? Isn't this only for snapshots? Do they mean
    motion-jpeg?

    These are both new phones, and both support video capture natively
    (outside of java). Am I wasting my time trying to implement a video
    capture app in j2me to run on multiple handsets? Is cross-platform
    mmapi a pipe dream? Please comment. Thanks!
    tah, Dec 23, 2006