[JTable]with Jtables in cells

Daniel Moyne

I am trying to set a JTable with some JTables in the column1 1 and 2. I have
gone quite far but I am now facing a bug when adding a line with a selection
active in the the column where I have JTables embedded which is here column
1 and 2. Column 0 is standard.

How I proceed for cells of column 1 and 2:
- in cells I put a JPane containing the header and the Table as it is the
only possiblity to display the header when not using a JScrollPane (my
choice).
- I customize Cell and Renderer to properly display my Header and Table that
I extract from the embedded JPanels as built.
- I do a few tricks to mimick the normal behaviour when selecting normal
cells and Jtable cells as here the system does not help.

I have selected the DefaultTable Model (here) but I have also used the
AbstactModel with no more success.

I am now facing a bug when inserting a row (here at position position 0 but
same in any other position).

Everything works fine in the following conditions:
- no selection of cells before addition of row,
- selection of any cells of column 0: after addition of row at position 0
the selection remain where expected (1 row down),
but if I select a cell of any JTable cells in column 1 and 2. I have a bug
in display that I cannot fix because I do not understand what is going on.

Code is attached. Any idea would be appreciated.

CODE------------------------------
import java.lang.Math;
import java.awt.Component;
import javax.swing.DefaultCellEditor;
import javax.swing.JComboBox;
import javax.swing.JFrame;
import javax.swing.JPanel;
import javax.swing.JScrollPane;
import java.awt.BorderLayout;
import javax.swing.JTable;
import javax.swing.JTextField;
import javax.swing.SwingUtilities;
import javax.swing.table.TableCellRenderer;
import javax.swing.table.TableColumn;
import javax.swing.AbstractCellEditor;
import javax.swing.ListSelectionModel;
import javax.swing.table.TableCellEditor;
import javax.swing.table.DefaultTableCellRenderer;
import javax.swing.border.MatteBorder;
import javax.swing.table.AbstractTableModel;
import javax.swing.table.DefaultTableModel;
import java.awt.Color;
import javax.swing.ImageIcon;
import javax.swing.AbstractButton;
import javax.swing.JButton;
import java.awt.event.ActionEvent;
import java.awt.event.ActionListener;
import java.awt.event.KeyEvent;
import javax.swing.UIManager;
import javax.swing.border.Border;
import java.awt.Graphics;

public class JTableInJTableDemo_object {
private static JTable myMainJTable;
private static DefaultTableModel myClassTableModel;
private Object[][] data;
private static int lineNumber=20;
private static final String[] myMainColumnNames =
{"NormalColumn","JTableColumn1","JTableColumn2"};
private static final String[] cellJTableNameColumn1 = {"Nom",
"Occurence"};
private static final String[] cellJTableNameColumn2 = {"Autre
nom", "Autre Occurence"};
private static final int cellJTableLineNumber1=2;
private static final int cellJTableLineNumber2=4;
private static final Border defaultBorder=UIManager.getBorder(new
JTable());

public void run() {
createAndShowGUI();
}
});
}

private static void createAndShowGUI() {
JFrame frame = new JFrame("JTableInJTableDemo");
Object[][]data = new Object[lineNumber]
[myMainColumnNames.length];
buildCellJTable(lineNumber,data);
JTable myMainJTable = new JTable();
myMainJTable.setRowHeight(50);
myClassTableModel=new DefaultTableModel(data,
myMainColumnNames);
myMainJTable.setCellSelectionEnabled(false);
myMainJTable.setModel(myClassTableModel);
myMainJTable.setColumnSelectionAllowed(true);
myMainJTable.setRowSelectionAllowed(true);

myMainJTable.setSelectionMode(ListSelectionModel.SINGLE_SELECTION);
TableColumn columnJTable1 =
myMainJTable.getColumnModel().getColumn(1);
columnJTable1.setCellRenderer(new
MyMainJTableCellRendererForColumn1And2());
columnJTable1.setCellEditor(new
MyMainJTableCellEditor());
TableColumn columnJTable2 =
myMainJTable.getColumnModel().getColumn(2);
columnJTable2.setCellRenderer(new
MyMainJTableCellRendererForColumn1And2());
columnJTable2.setCellEditor(new
MyMainJTableCellEditor());

JScrollPane scrollPane = new JScrollPane(myMainJTable);
frame.add(scrollPane);
frame.pack();
frame.setVisible(true);
//Create and set up the button window.
JFrame _frame = new JFrame("Jtable Action");
_frame.setDefaultCloseOperation(JFrame.EXIT_ON_CLOSE);
//Create and set up the content pane.
ButtonDemo newContentPane = new ButtonDemo();
newContentPane.setOpaque(true);
_frame.setContentPane(newContentPane);
//Display the action window.
_frame.pack();
_frame.setVisible(true);
}

private static void buildCellJTable(int number,Object[][] data) {
for (int i=0;i<number;i++){
Object[] tableLine = new
Object[myMainColumnNames.length];
//we buil first line cell
tableLine[0]="line"+String.valueOf(i);
//we build second line cell

tableLine[1]=buildCell(i,cellJTableLineNumber1,cellJTableNameColumn1);
//we build third line cell

tableLine[2]=buildCell(i,cellJTableLineNumber2,cellJTableNameColumn2);
data=tableLine;

private static JPanel buildCell(int i, int jTableLineNumber,
String [] jTableNameColumn ) {
//we build cell
Object[][] jTableNameColumnData=new
Object[jTableLineNumber][jTableNameColumn.length];
Object[]jTableNameLine=new Object[jTableLineNumber];
for (int j=0;j< jTableLineNumber;j++){
for (int k=0; k< jTableNameColumn.length;k++){
jTableNameLine[j]=i+j+k;
}
jTableNameColumnData[j]=jTableNameLine;
}
JTable jTable = new JTable();
jTable.setCellSelectionEnabled(false);
DefaultTableModel jTableModel=new
DefaultTableModel(jTableNameColumnData, jTableNameColumn);
jTable.setModel(jTableModel);
for (int l=0; l<jTableNameColumn.length;l++){

jTable.setDefaultRenderer(jTable.getColumnClass(l), new
MyCellJTableCellRenderer());
}
jTable.setColumnSelectionAllowed(true);
jTable.setRowSelectionAllowed(true);

jTable.setSelectionMode(ListSelectionModel.SINGLE_SELECTION);
JPanel jPanel=new JPanel();
jPanel.setLayout(new BorderLayout());
jPanel.add(jTable.getTableHeader(),BorderLayout.NORTH);
jPanel.add(jTable,BorderLayout.CENTER);
return jPanel;
}

static class MyMainJTableCellRendererForColumn1And2 extends JPanel
implements TableCellRenderer {
private JPanel cellJPanel;

public Component getTableCellRendererComponent(JTable
table,Object value, boolean isSelected, boolean hasFocus, int rowIndex, int
columnIndex) {
JPanel cellJPanel = (JPanel) value;
// we adjust row height
int
height=Math.max(table.getRowHeight(rowIndex), (int)
cellJPanel.getPreferredSize().getHeight());
table.setRowHeight(rowIndex,height);
return cellJPanel;

static class MyMainJTableCellEditor extends AbstractCellEditor
implements TableCellEditor {
private JPanel myCellJPanel;

@Override
public Object getCellEditorValue() {
//necessary to clear selection of cell in
jtable cell otherwise will stay
((JTable)
myCellJPanel.getComponent(1)).clearSelection();
//some people say that you can return null in
a pseudo editor but it is WRONG
return myCellJPanel;
}

public Component getTableCellEditorComponent(JTable
table, Object value, boolean isSelected, int rowIndex, int columnIndex) {
myCellJPanel = (JPanel) value;
return myCellJPanel;

static class MyCellJTableCellRenderer extends
DefaultTableCellRenderer {
private final Color matteBorderColor=null;
@Override
public Component getTableCellRendererComponent(JTable
table, Object value, boolean isSelected, boolean hasFocus,int rowIndex,int
columnIndex) {
Component c =
super.getTableCellRendererComponent(table, value, isSelected, hasFocus,
rowIndex, columnIndex);
if (!isSelected) {
//necessary to remove focus from
unselected cell jtable
setBorder(defaultBorder);
}
return c;

/*
* ButtonDemo.java requires the following files:
*/
public static class ButtonDemo extends JPanel implements
ActionListener {
protected JButton b1;

public ButtonDemo() {
ImageIcon leftButtonIcon = null;
b1 = new JButton("Insert a row",
leftButtonIcon);

b1.setVerticalTextPosition(AbstractButton.CENTER);

b1.setHorizontalTextPosition(AbstractButton.LEADING);
b1.setMnemonic(KeyEvent.VK_D);
b1.setActionCommand("insert");
//Listen for action on button.
b1.addActionListener(this);
b1.setToolTipText("Click this button to insert
a row");
add(b1);

if ("insert".equals(e.getActionCommand())) {
insertARow();

private static void insertARow() {
// (1) data creation
//we have only 3 lines
int cellJTableInsertedLineNumber=3;
Object[] tableLine = new
Object[myMainColumnNames.length];
tableLine[0]="new_line";

tableLine[1]=buildCell(0,cellJTableLineNumber1,cellJTableNameColumn1);

tableLine[2]=buildCell(0,cellJTableLineNumber2,cellJTableNameColumn2);
if (false) {
Object[][] cellJTableNameColumnData1 = new
Object[cellJTableLineNumber1][myMainColumnNames.length];
Object[]cellJTableNameLine1=new
Object[cellJTableLineNumber1];
for (int j=0;j< cellJTableLineNumber1;j++){
for (int k=0; k<
cellJTableNameColumn1.length;k++){
cellJTableNameLine1[j]=20+j+k;
}

cellJTableNameColumnData1[j]=cellJTableNameLine1;
}
JTable cellJTable = new JTable();
cellJTable.setCellSelectionEnabled(false);
DefaultTableModel myNewClassTableModel=new
DefaultTableModel(cellJTableNameColumnData1, cellJTableNameColumn1);
cellJTable.setModel(myNewClassTableModel);
for (int l=0; l<cellJTableNameColumn1.length;l++){

cellJTable.setDefaultRenderer(cellJTable.getColumnClass(l), new
MyCellJTableCellRenderer());
}
cellJTable.setColumnSelectionAllowed(true);
cellJTable.setRowSelectionAllowed(true);

cellJTable.setSelectionMode(ListSelectionModel.SINGLE_SELECTION);
JPanel cellJPanel=new JPanel();
cellJPanel.setLayout(new BorderLayout());

cellJPanel.add(cellJTable.getTableHeader(),BorderLayout.NORTH);
cellJPanel.add(cellJTable,BorderLayout.CENTER);
tableLine[1]=cellJPanel;
}
//(2) row insertion
int insertRowIndex=0;
myClassTableModel.insertRow(insertRowIndex,tableLine);
CODE------------------------------

Lew

I am trying to set a JTable with some JTables in the column1 1 and 2. I have
gone quite far but I am now facing a bug when adding a line with a selection
active in the the column where I have JTables embedded which is here column
1 and 2. Column 0 is standard.

You posted this exact question on June 10.

Reposting a question is not often effective nor is it polite. Instead, post a followup to your
original post. (Two days is not a bad interval to wait - that is not an issue.)

With multi-posted questions such as this, you get fragmented answers (if any), and people
get frustrated if they answer in one thread then discover the relevant discussion in another.

So please do not multi-post.